v Northampton Town Match Thread

Day

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We 100% need a right-footed winger who can play wide left. We have no options out there who you'd deem good enough for a top six Championship team. Anya, Russell, Bennett and Blackman are all better on the right.

Weimann is the only right-footed wide player we have and he is isn't good enough out there.

How about we get a left winger with a left foot who can beat  a man and cross a ball  and one on the other side with a right one...far to much of this they have to cut in and shoot buisness. Or am I just living in a past age of Alan Hinton etc

1 minute ago, Hoppo93 said:

Might as well get used to life in league 1. Hanson was the only highlight for me. The others can all go!! 

You said it mate. Seasons a write off. You should post more on here. I like your balanced views.

That is the first time I've seen Bennett this pre-season, and he looked promising. I find it refreshing that although he has played out wide in the past, this time players are finding him, and he is making runs which are being picked out. He also has the knack of getting into good places. A bit of luck and he would have had another goal under his belt tonight. It is also noticeable that Butterfield looks much more like the Butterfield that Huddersfield sold us, almost as though he was being ordered to be so dull and negative last season. He hit some beautiful through balls, and most of his lay-offs were played forwards - refreshing to see. Thanks Gary!

Last chance saloon for a lot of players tonight and they didn't make the most of it. Other than Davies and Butters, non of the others have a hope in hell of starting at Sunderland. Bennett will make the bench though.

My team for The Hoff.

Carson

Wisdom       Keogh    Davies    Fozzy

Hudds

Butters         Johnson

Russell                                 Wiemann

Martin

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Don't think Butterfield will be in. I'd go with Bryson rather than "Tanglefoot". Just my opinion. 

And it's all about opinions - but based on preseason - I think Butterfield has shown more than Bryson. I also think if he goes for Weimann and Bennett (which, again on preseason form I think he has to) then you have enough "runners" in the team to allow for a more measured passing midfield (and Bradley)!

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Fozzy

Huddlestone

Johnson Butterfield

Russell Martin Lawrence** 

**If we manage to sign him in time for 1st game of the season if not then Bennett. 

That's what I think it'll be like for Sunderland game IMO. 

The comments might not be hysterical in their analysis of the performance... but the need to dissect a pre-season friendly and use it in any way to gauge anything sensible - which wasn't the full first team - is mild lunacy.  I know many will try to rationalise it, but really, you know deep down that it's a bit silly.  

Even if we were to get relegated, promoted or mid-table in no way would this game have any bearing on it.

You might also wonder why comments criticising somewhat extreme reactions to a poor pre-season friendly garners so many likes? Perhaps because such criticism is considered sensible and more reasoned? 

Im sure the critics will have more than enough real and important things to moan about in a couple of weeks.  

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

There are no hysterical comments, it's just people claiming there are hysterical comments to get likes when the comments have been fair to be honest.

I always just tell it like it is. I'm all too aware that pre-season is a chance to experiment. I think we all know what the defence will be...and probably the attack. The midfield combination is still uncertain. I think there should be a sense of progression  such that by your penultimate game we have an emerging picture of our strongest 11...but I suspect GR still hasn't got there yet. We are definitely still short of some class in an advanced midfield/front runner. Maybe GR still has a card to play...but GR still has some work to do. Still early days and I know that GR is up to the job of working it out. Suspect Mrs Rowett will have a restless hubby over the next week and a bit though. :mellow:

2 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Last chance saloon for a lot of players tonight and they didn't make the most of it. Other than Davies and Butters, non of the others have a hope in hell of starting at Sunderland. Bennett will make the bench though.

My team for The Hoff.

Carson

Wisdom       Keogh    Davies    Fozzy

Hudds

Butters         Johnson

Russell                                 Wiemann

Martin

This look good too. 

Just now, LazloW said:

The comments might not be hysterical in their analysis of the performance... but the need to dissect a pre-season friendly and use it in any way to gauge anything sensible - which wasn't the full first team - is mild lunacy.  I know many will try to rationalise it, but really, you know deep down that it's a bit silly.  

Even if we were to get relegated, in no way would this game have any bearing on it. 

Bookmarked this comment and when we are relegated I will point you back in this direction to review the catalyst that began it all.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I for one am not going to lose any sleep, enjoying listening to Derbyshire hammer Lancs in the 20 20....

When Lancs were 90-2 off about 7.4 overs, I feared the worst. The Memsahib told me we'd win though, so what do I know?

Archived