v Northampton Town Match Thread

Day

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We're getting into gad habits.

belting the ball forward, playing scrappy football, exposing our own limitations.

We need to sign a quality player who can keep possession and pass it accurately and quickly on the ground, there's a young lad at Watford i've heard is very good at those things...

We've got to accept that GR will play more direct - i just hope he gives players freedom to get forward rather than just getting the ball forward.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Love the word skein. Reminds me of the late great Iain Menzies Banks who used it in his Culture novels for how real space appears when you're in hyperspace. Is that what we hope Gary Rowett will be seeing?

The way it's looking the only way we will appear to be in hyperspace is if we have all had a "skeinful"!

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

We need to sign a quality player who can keep possession and pass it accurately and quickly on the ground, there's a young lad at Watford i've heard is very good at those things...

We've got to accept that GR will play more direct - i just hope he gives players freedom to get forward rather than just getting the ball forward.

I have no issues with going more direct, I think with Huddlestone's quality in that regard that it's something we should use to our advantage. It's just who Huddlestone is knocking the ball out too. If we play this way, we need really high quality wingers. The type that can trap a ball dead and beat their man, create opportunities. I actually don't think there's much point playing it with the wingers we have, none of them have that ability, especially when man-marked. 

Big week ahead. 

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

Bennett's probably been the one real surprise of the pre-season games, and I think it's wrong to just describe him as a 'power player'. He was the only one to use any craft and skill at all tonight until Huddlestone came on, skinning the full back, setting up Nugent, setting up Anya/Bryson who made a pig's ear of things, having the best two efforts (both well-saved by the keeper) - in short, he was the only forward or midfield player worth a wage.

He deserves to start on Saturday, and if he makes a go of that, then I reckon he's in with a good chance to start at Sunderland.

Oh, dear. I've turned into B4, haven't I?

Yep. Good point. He does deserve a chance. And if he proves me wrong, I'll say so. 

Just now, Ellafella said:

Yep. Good point. He does deserve a chance. And if he proves me wrong, I'll say so. 

Agree with what Eddie put, too. 

Russell hasn't been good enough. Anya is not an attacking winger, nor ever has been, so if we're playing 4-3-3 then Bennett looks a steady choice. Weimann, I think due to the lack of competition has his place booked for opening day already. 

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Love the word skein. Reminds me of the late great Iain Menzies Banks who used it in his Culture novels for how real space appears when you're in hyperspace. Is that what we hope Gary Rowett will be seeing?

Me too. Famously used by the League of Gentlemen in the outrageously funny sketch about the cave guide. In dark, satanic, tones..."Look at that skein of iron ore... there. Just like the moss. Life...somehow finds a way..." :mellow:

Carson
Wisdom Keogh Pearce Forsyth
       Huddlestone Johnson
Russell      Weimann     Bennett
                   Martin

Mitchell, Baird, Davies, Butterfield, Anya, Vydra (if fit), Russell

That's what I'd be starting at the weekend. And I hope we've got Lawrence in by then, I'd swap him for Russell and put Mason out on the right.

Nugent hasn't looked great but I remain convinced he could do a good job alongside Martin, so I'd hope for win to get some minutes with him at the weekend.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Agree with what Eddie put, too. 

Russell hasn't been good enough. Anya is not an attacking winger, nor ever has been, so if we're playing 4-3-3 then Bennett looks a steady choice. Weimann, I think due to the lack of competition has his place booked for opening day already. 

I don't disagree that both deserve a chance...but sadly, I think both are too predictable...and uni-dimensional. I don't ever imagine Bennett pirouetting ...like Will Hughes did against Boro at Pride Park, to take 3 Boro defenders out, before cutting the ball back for Martin to stab home. :mellow:

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I have no issues with going more direct, I think with Huddlestone's quality in that regard that it's something we should use to our advantage. It's just who Huddlestone is knocking the ball out too. If we play this way, we need really high quality wingers. The type that can trap a ball dead and beat their man, create opportunities. I actually don't think there's much point playing it with the wingers we have, none of them have that ability, especially when man-marked. 

Big week ahead. 

You've got to have intelligent players making runs when the ball goes forward, its pointless Tommy hitting pinpoint 40 yarders to wingers if the wingers have no runners to pass to.

4 hours ago, Beagle said:

How about we get a left winger with a left foot who can beat  a man and cross a ball  and one on the other side with a right one...far to much of this they have to cut in and shoot buisness. Or am I just living in a past age of Alan Hinton etc

The idea of having wingers, or inside forwards, cutting in from either flank is to provide close support to the centre forward. Also allows the fullbacks to occupy in the free space behind.

Having a left-footed left winger and a right-footed right winger in a 433 would be pointless. Completely isolates your centre-forward and considering Bryson and Butterfield are migits there would be only one target to cross for.

Martin vs 2 CBs, a fullback and a holding midfielder dropping deep. We'd never score.

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I don't think Bennett or Weimann are good enough footballers to be starters. Bennett has given everything pre-season to claim a shirt...but lacks guile. Strength, directness in abundance but not enough allied guile. We need something different. Both Weimann and Bennet are last 15 minute subs to stretch tired defenders but don't have enough "craft" for the Championship. 

I don't disagree - but believe they are our best options at the moment - sadly.

My opinion of the game. Mitchell didn't really have much to do. The defence seemed be alright the fact Mitchell didn't have a lot to do. Pearce seemed to get dragged out of position leaving pressure on Hanson/Hudders to drop back. Barid didn't get forward enough but he isn't going to be that type of player. Olsson got forward more later on in the game and posed more as a treat as the game went on, Hanson and Bryson for me didn't really get into the game, Butterfield you noticed more but for this because his mistakes. Largely at fault for the goal, pulling out of the tackle like at Donny. Davies should of stayed on his feet as well. Ayna like Olsson got more into the game as the game went on. Bennett the other the way round started brightly then started to drift out the game, the keeper made two decent saves to deny him two goals. I do think he just needs to keep the ball closer to his feet, a few times times the is ½ or ¼ of a yard to far away from him giving the defender and chance to nick also he does give away a few too many silly free-kicks Nugent.... awful last night, was this down to being a lone striker? lack of support?

At times there was some flowing passing moves, then some sloppy moves/passes. but this is what pre-season is for, not only to get the fitness levels up but to build up passing and movements 

Archived