v Northampton Town Match Thread

Day

It is a great pity that Vydra and Blackman have not been available for selection the last few games to consider other forward systems/options. If we don't buy anyone new before 4th August l think Weimann and Bennett have bagged the wide positions, but that doesn't excite me. I know they are only friendlies, and proving fitness is key, but based on what l saw again tonight l find it hard to build any case for Bryson, Hanson, Russell and Anya being at the club come August month end. Not good enough in my opinion.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

No,I still like russell in the right wing....able to cut in and through the lines unlike Bennett who is welded to the line and is currently too inexperienced....send him out on loan to a half decent side and bring him back for next season.

Russell back with Martin is a good partnership and I'd like to see that relationship be fine tuned again over a number of games...we will see the confidence return then in my opinion.

I thought weimann did very well at the weekend and I suspect he might actually be good enough in this division to settle into the left wing role with his different style to Russell.....swapping wings through the game to disrupt the opposition.

Agree with that. Russell and Martin are a combo who work optimally when in the same side. Russell without Martin negates Russell. In chess terms, Russell is the Bishop and Martin is the Knight. Russell on the diagonals and Martin moves in a "t" formation.* In comparison, Bennett and Weimann are draughts players...just move up and down**. :mellow:

* one for the chess players to appreciate. 

** or "snakes & ladders". Bennett is a snake and Weimann is a ladder. Up the ladders and down the snake takes us nowhere. 

Don't think many of tonight's side came out shining, certainly Baird, Bennett showed glimpses, Butters not as good as

the last game but ok. Hopefully Bryson, Russell and Nugent  can step it up, as didn't happen for this one. We still have

to see Keogh and Davies together - Davis not as assured as against FCK1. 

I'm not as despondent as some on here, but we def need to get a couple in.  Hopefully we will add Lawrence, which

could make a big difference.

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Agree with that. Russell and Martin are a combo who work optimally when in the same side. Russell without Martin negates Russell. In chess terms, Russell is the Bishop and Martin is the Knight. Russell on the diagonals and Martin moves in a "t" formation.* In comparison, Bennett and Weimann are draughts players...just move up and down. :mellow:

Trouble is, too many are bashing the bishop on here. :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Agree with that. Russell and Martin are a combo who work optimally when in the same side. Russell without Martin negates Russell. In chess terms, Russell is the Bishop and Martin is the Knight. Russell on the diagonals and Martin moves in a "t" formation.* In comparison, Bennett and Weimann are draughts players...just move up and down**. :mellow:

** or "snakes & ladders". Bennett is a snake and Weimann is a ladder. Up the ladders and down the snake takes us nowhere. 

Seems to me we are stuck in perpetual check!

At least with draughts you get a crown now and again

Hoffen team  picks itself, almost...

Carson

Wisdom    Keogh    Wisdom    forsythe

Buttersfield    Huddelstone   Johnson

Russell/Bennett    Martin    Lawrence

I'd still go with Russell, as i agree he has an understanding with Martin

depending on what happens Bennett 2nd half.

Mitchell  Baird   Pearce   Anya  Bennett  Nugent   Weiman 

Didn't manage to watch all every minute of it but some thoughts it raised anyway.

Butterfield will be important this season if we play hoofing 4-3-3 like today. His long passes are excellent, especially the diagonal ones, just like Huddlestone's. More the merrier, one good passer is too easy to take out of the game.

Would be harsh to judge Butterfield and Bryson by today's showing as they had to play with Hanson.

Baird looked frustrated with the movement of Bennett. Couldn't pass the way he used to with Ince, hopefully Bennett's movement will be sorted out. Other wise it was fine, but when the ball was behind him, he didn't look like he knew what he was doing.

Second string but no Lowe, Vydra or Blackman. Are they injured or as good as gone?

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

Didn't manage to watch all every minute of it but some thoughts it raised anyway.

Butterfield will be important this season if we play hoofing 4-3-3 like today. His long passes are excellent, especially the diagonal ones, just like Huddlestone's. More the merrier, one good passer is too easy to take out of the game.

Would be harsh to judge Butterfield and Bryson by today's showing as they had to play with Hanson.

Baird looked frustrated with the movement of Bennett. Couldn't pass the way he used to with Ince, hopefully Bennett's movement will be sorted out. Other wise it was fine, but when the ball was behind him, he didn't look like he knew what he was doing.

Second string but no Lowe, Vydra or Blackman. Are they injured or as good as gone?

For the last bit of your post Lowe is making a good recovery and also training. 

Blackman still 'injury' 

Vydra (according GR last week that Vydra is about a week away so should be back this week?)

Shackell is the same as Lowe but little bit behind though. 

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

If you're disappointed with tonight's performance, just remember that it serves you right for watching a pre-season game against Northampton on a Tuesday night.

If you're not, you're Gary Rowett and pleased with lots of aspects of tonight's performance.

Nothing great but it did highlight a few negative aspects again - Ollson, you can't fault his effort but he always stands off a wide man giving them the freedom to cross easily and it has cost us many times - very frustrating! 

I know it's a pre season game but you hope to see better but anyway on to the next game 

53 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Bennett's probably been the one real surprise of the pre-season games, and I think it's wrong to just describe him as a 'power player'. He was the only one to use any craft and skill at all tonight until Huddlestone came on, skinning the full back, setting up Nugent, setting up Anya/Bryson who made a pig's ear of things, having the best two efforts (both well-saved by the keeper) - in short, he was the only forward or midfield player worth a wage.

He deserves to start on Saturday, and if he makes a go of that, then I reckon he's in with a good chance to start at Sunderland.

Oh, dear. I've turned into B4, haven't I?

41 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

Hoffen team  picks itself, almost...

Carson

Wisdom    Keogh    Wisdom    forsythe

Buttersfield    Huddelstone   Johnson

Russell/Bennett    Martin    Lawrence

I'd still go with Russell, as i agree he has an understanding with Martin

depending on what happens Bennett 2nd half.

Mitchell  Baird   Pearce   Anya  Bennett  Nugent   Weiman 

Decent team but have to ask the obvious question, what in hell has Russell done to deserve being in the team ahead of Weimann?!

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Swap Baird for Wisdom and Bryson for Butterfield and that's my starting XI.

I think Wisdom hasn't settled down yet to a different pace of game from playing in Austria and needs a bit more time; Baird is better and calmer and can pick a better pass at the mo. I also think Bryson will be picked out by Huddlestone via his forward runs who in turn will pick Martin out. The Huddlestone - Bryson-Martin combo and the Huddlstone-Russell-Martin combo are 2 skeins of gold waiting to be discovered by GR. Just hope GR sees these as well. 

Love the word skein. Reminds me of the late great Iain Menzies Banks who used it in his Culture novels for how real space appears when you're in hyperspace. Is that what we hope Gary Rowett will be seeing?

Archived