George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

4 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Just read the article, you don’t normally hear straight from the horses mouth that contract offers are on the table. Normally you hear talks are on going then there’s an article, with handshakes announcing a new contract has been signed. I would guess the contracts we’ve offered probably aren’t as good as Russell and George were expecting

I think you're right and either they expect its just formalities to go, or, its a move to put a bit of pressure on them to sign or to give the club a "its the player not wanting to sign" stance with the supporters. I also imagine JRs deal has gone from Star to solid squad member and Thorne's is based on his fitness (fair or not, he's not played a lot) :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think you're right and either they expect its just formalities to go, or, its a move to put a bit of pressure on them to sign or to give the club a "its the player not wanting to sign" stance with the supporters. I also imagine JRs deal has gone from Star to solid squad member and Thorne's is based on his fitness (fair or not, he's not played a lot) :thumbsup:

Exactly, if I’m being synical I’d say it’s the club covering their back, they’ve offered contracts if they don’t accept then we’ve done what we could......

I'll be a bit annoyed if Georgie boy doesn't sign up.

He's well loved here and we've not exactly seen him play much over the years that he's been our player.

I don't know the terms of the deal offered, but I'd say some of the money relying on him being available for selection is fair enough - based on the fact that he's spent 90% of his career on our treatment table.

Not his fault, I know, but I'd like him to demonstrate some loyalty to the club.

How can Russell be better off at another Club?

Move house, settle in, not get promoted. Never see the Premiership

Obviously he will push for more cash and may get another fiver a week but unless he just wants last big payoff at any other club it makes sense to stay.

Rowett is reasonable but i think that trying to twist his arm is doomed to failure.

George cannot improve his lot by going elsewhere as a player basically recovering from injury with no certainty about his long term fitness. If he signs now and gets injured again then he has a job for three years. If he does not sign and gets injured, who will sign him on more money than we are offering? At end of season, if he has proved himself he will get a better contract than what is on offer now but runs the risk of being get let go, but he will not go to a Premier team until he has been fit for another year in my opinion.

I'd hope he'd make a fair call given the way the club has stood by him. Sign the contract, spend the next 20 games showing that he's worth more, negotiate a fat new contract in the summer when he's helped drive us to promotion, shining brightly in the process. Hopefully conjecture that the offer may be low or even derisory is only that, conjecture as he remains, IMO, the most naturally gifted player on our books and one that seems to suit any formation we are likely to play. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Boycie said:

What’s happened to him?

Is he not fit? Not in form?

Hes a shadow of his former self, will we ever see the George Thorne we had pre Wembley?

I'm afraid we won't. Same goes for Forsyth I'm afraid.

Maybe good pre-season could do the trick, but wouldn't count on it.

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

What’s happened to him?

Is he not fit? Not in form?

Hes a shadow of his former self, will we ever see the George Thorne we had pre Wembley?

He was the one player that I thought had premier league potential and that we could build a team around, he always had such composure on the ball and used to be able to split defences with his precision through balls but since he has come back from injury he is a shadow of that player, looks overweight and unfit and misses so many of his passes, I don’t think we will ever see the pre Wembley George again, I am starting to think that we will never see the pre Wembley Derby County again, it has been a steady downhill decline since that fateful day !! Bloody Keough !! Always got a mistake in him !

As said previously he’s not playing the way he wants too. Constantly being overrun with little space. Constantly doing the ‘dogsbody’ for others and not really being rewarded for it.

Atleast he didn’t give up, got more of an issue with Vydra today who gave up and constantly in “no mans land” and felt like little interest in working for the team. That’s not good enough to me no matter how many goals you score.

Archived