George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I think its premature to say he wont reach his best again. If he keeps fit (apart from this blip) for the rest of the season, has a good pre-season then its next season I would judge if he will or not, if come september time he is not in form then i would tend to agree. I dont actually think hes been that bad myself though.

In fairness many on here said he would never play again so hes proved a lot wrong already.

the problem for me is that OK is not good enough.  He needs to be one of the few game changing players we have.  Is ordinary and workmanlike sufficient?  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how things work out in football

2 to 3 weeks out might be the best thing for all concerned, more or less writes off the season with regards to him starting - we do not have to 'carry' someone who is getting match fit at a vital time of the season.

Also for George himself it means he can start next season on a level playing field with every one else.

I for one still believe there is a very good championship player in there, possibly prem player

Would love it to be the later - I have a feeling he might be one of those that is better at the higher level.

5 hours ago, Spanish said:

GT, good as he was, has been a distraction.  We should get used to the idea that 'when he returns it will be like signing a new player' is a false hope.  We should recruit a replacement if we have the funds because I can't see him returning to anything like the quality he used to be.

Especially not with the amount of timber he's put on. He looks huge.

21 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Because of a few boo's?! If GR or the players can't take a little bit of criticism (not that it's right to boo) for the money they get paid then they're in the wrong job, I'll swap with any of them. 

I'd take 10 lashes a day for 30k a week. 

I can't imagine any of them give an actual sheet about the fans or their boo's. 

Let's not pretend this boo'ing is a new thing either, in the 15 years I've been going it's always been there. 

There’s a time and place where you can understand it but sitting in top six in promotion shake up in a very big game with us losing the game but no lack of effort and still very much in it is ******** and a real sign of how far we are slipping as fans ,, boo gutless performances as fans if you must ,boo players not putting it in but booing at half time v Fulham on Saturday is pathetic and too be honest I wish it was poss for the players to walk round and boo the fans right back before going down the tunnel because they deserved it more than the players ,

fans and players all play a part and there is a section of fans that are letting the players, manager and club down ,not the other way round ,

condone it if you like , play it down if you like but for me saturdays half time reaction is embarrassing for derby and pride park is slowly becoming a toxic environment for our players and manager to ply their trade ,it’s sad to see and phesk as an ex player there as a pundit picked the vibe up very much and made it clear he thought it a problem as have others

39 minutes ago, archied said:

There’s a time and place where you can understand it but sitting in top six in promotion shake up in a very big game with us losing the game but no lack of effort and still very much in it is ******** and a real sign of how far we are slipping as fans ,, boo gutless performances as fans if you must ,boo players not putting it in but booing at half time v Fulham on Saturday is pathetic and too be honest I wish it was poss for the players to walk round and boo the fans right back before going down the tunnel because they deserved it more than the players ,

fans and players all play a part and there is a section of fans that are letting the players, manager and club down ,not the other way round ,

condone it if you like , play it down if you like but for me saturdays half time reaction is embarrassing for derby and pride park is slowly becoming a toxic environment for our players and manager to ply their trade ,it’s sad to see and phesk as an ex player there as a pundit picked the vibe up very much and made it clear he thought it a problem as have others

I don't agree with booking at all,it's disrespectful to the players who put their heart and soul into a game....I've been at the last two home matches and they have all pulled their weight.

However,I think the booing is being partly misunderstood.

From the discussions of fans around me,the dissatisfaction isn't with the players,it's with our performance and tactics.....and it's the only way many of them think they can get their point across to the manager and Mel.

43 minutes ago, archied said:

Nah I don't condone it but it's not the be all and end all of things. It definitely doesn't help but it won't go away. Just like 95% of the ground won't vocally back the team, a large proportion don't see the end of a game etc. It's one of those things that's present up and down the country every weekend in a lot of stadiums, whether it's right or not.

I'd say current under performing players who are switching off and costing us goals and games are a bigger problem. Along with our full backs and wingers putting every cross into row Z, an immobile midfield reliant on our CAM to win us a game and an overall lack of quality in the final third. They're problems. Solve them and it'll stop.

26 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I don't agree with booking at all,it's disrespectful to the players who put their heart and soul into a game....I've been at the last two home matches and they have all pulled their weight.

However,I think the booing is being partly misunderstood.

From the discussions of fans around me,the dissatisfaction isn't with the players,it's with our performance and tactics.....and it's the only way many of them think they can get their point across to the manager and Mel.

Could take what you say on board if it wasn’t for the fact that single players are being made targets for shouted abuse , groans and jeers if they make a mistake or misplace a pass and it’s getting worse , we are going nowhere until this trend is reversed ,what decent players are going to want to stay/come and play in front of our crowd 

maybe it’s football in general but I for one don’t know wtf is happening to our club and where it’s going to end up , my guess is back in the hands of owners who come in milk the club dry ,run up massive debts and we end up down the shitter again ,some fans need to take a long hard look at what it is they are trying to achieve because they are starting to make a club that nobody decent is going to want to own, manage or play for and for what? Because we are not playing the style and tactics they want early in a managers reign even though we are amongst the divisions top scorers and fighting for promotion? 

It is one really sad sad state of affairs and an affront to our long standing proud club , through all our trials over the years our fans have stood together and backed the club,,now we seem to have a growing section of fans intent of poisoning and destroying our club themselves 

48 minutes ago, archied said:

Could take what you say on board if it wasn’t for the fact that single players are being made targets for shouted abuse , groans and jeers if they make a mistake or misplace a pass and it’s getting worse , we are going nowhere until this trend is reversed ,what decent players are going to want to stay/come and play in front of our crowd 

maybe it’s football in general but I for one don’t know wtf is happening to our club and where it’s going to end up , my guess is back in the hands of owners who come in milk the club dry ,run up massive debts and we end up down the shitter again ,some fans need to take a long hard look at what it is they are trying to achieve because they are starting to make a club that nobody decent is going to want to own, manage or play for and for what? Because we are not playing the style and tactics they want early in a managers reign even though we are amongst the divisions top scorers and fighting for promotion? 

It is one really sad sad state of affairs and an affront to our long standing proud club , through all our trials over the years our fans have stood together and backed the club,,now we seem to have a growing section of fans intent of poisoning and destroying our club themselves 

I must admit I didn't witness any booing of individual players....some groans definitely when a pass went amiss or a player cocked up (Lawrence and vydra drew it the most on Saturday plus thorne later on when was tiring/ got injured).

The booing was more collective at half time and full time...

Having said that in in the east stand towards the north so I can't hear what the south and west stands are up to.

I remember a couple of years ago,I was in the toyota stand at a wassell game and there was a complete knobber shouting abuse and swearing at the players constantly...and he had two young sons with him...what a bell ***.

So the abusers haven't just arrived,plenty have been here for a long time.

Sith Happens

Booing is definitely worse now than it used to be, even in the PL season of 11 points there was hardly any.

Before that we had some boos, and probably the only time i thought it was partly justified when Phil Brown was in charge, and that was aimed at him more than anyone else.

Its not just Derby fans, its everywhere.

I can grumble and moan but I buy my season ticket and no one makes me a promise of any level of success.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Booing is definitely worse now than it used to be, even in the PL season of 11 points there was hardly any.

Ironically I reckon the first half of that season is probably the best support I've seen since going. Didn't seem to make much difference to the regular tonkings though :ph34r: 

Turned a bit boo'ey towards the end. 

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Ironically I reckon the first half of that season is probably the best support I've seen since going. Didn't seem to make much difference to the regular tonkings though :ph34r: 

Turned a bit boo'ey towards the end. 

Yeah it was. Was very booey as they went off though,

20 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I must admit I didn't witness any booing of individual players....some groans definitely when a pass went amiss or a player cocked up (Lawrence and vydra drew it the most on Saturday plus thorne later on when was tiring/ got injured).

The booing was more collective at half time and full time...

Having said that in in the east stand towards the north so I can't hear what the south and west stands are up to.

I remember a couple of years ago,I was in the toyota stand at a wassell game and there was a complete knobber shouting abuse and swearing at the players constantly...and he had two young sons with him...what a bell ***.

So the abusers haven't just arrived,plenty have been here for a long time.

Maybe it’s just me getting old and football has moved on to a different place , one of the things that always made me smile and feel proud was being at games when we were crap and going through bad times and us fans stupidly singing like we were winning the league ,it was like us fans were derby and we were quality no matter how bad the team or club were doing , now we are booing a team that are in the promotion shake up with players putting a shift in ,an owner investing from his own pocket ,a young highly regarded manager getting a shot at bigger club for bigger stakes ,,,,, it doesn’t make sense to me ,, yes people can boo if they like ,they pays their money but it just seems the football world has gone ga ga 

12 minutes ago, archied said:

Maybe it’s just me getting old and football has moved on to a different place , one of the things that always made me smile and feel proud was being at games when we were crap and going through bad times and us fans stupidly singing like we were winning the league ,it was like us fans were derby and we were quality no matter how bad the team or club were doing , now we are booing a team that are in the promotion shake up with players putting a shift in ,an owner investing from his own pocket ,a young highly regarded manager getting a shot at bigger club for bigger stakes ,,,,, it doesn’t make sense to me ,, yes people can boo if they like ,they pays their money but it just seems the football world has gone ga ga 

I'd give this 2 'likes' if I could. 

19 minutes ago, archied said:

Sign of the times afraid  they want instant everything nobody prepared to wait for a team to evolve Not just us every team lose a couple and they want a new manager Plat kids they want experience Play experience they want to know why the kids don't get a chance Not just football were a nation of instant everything Don't feel sorry for the manager or players when people boo but I do for Mel he deserves better 

On 3/5/2018 at 10:07, Spanish said:

GT, good as he was, has been a distraction.  We should get used to the idea that 'when he returns it will be like signing a new player' is a false hope.  We should recruit a replacement if we have the funds because I can't see him returning to anything like the quality he used to be.

I don't believe it's the fact he isn't capable of reaching those standards again, it's just that he struggles to play in a midfield two.  He's too immobile for the formation we're playing.  He needs to operate in that pocket of space between defence and midfield to be at his most effective.  If we were talking FM18, he'd be a CDM in a deep lying playmaker or a rigesta...

He's still the same player.  Just not back up to speed yet - in more ways than one, sadly.  But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the old GT back at the start of next season, after a good, unhindered pre-season.  Keep the faith and show him the love.  It's not as if he doesn't give a ****! 

On 03/03/2018 at 21:52, MuespachRam said:

England class....?? He couldn’t even get into a rubbish West Bromwich team.. we were sold a total lemon and paid way to much for it, I hope Mel kept the receipt...

Derby’s best ever player couldn’t get into Watford’s team for half a season 

I said before they ever played together that I don’t feel as though George and Huddlestone would suit a midfield pair. 

I stand by that but I’m also starting to think that he doesn’t suit a midfield two. 

His passing was always about zipped balls through the thirds or diagonals. As a lone pivot he had five potential forward recipients. 

In a two he’s limited to a square pass to Huddlestone, a safe pass to the nearest winger, a diagonal to the furthest winger or zipped balls to the striker or #10. 

The state of this thread sums up everything you need to know about how fickle some Derby fans really are.

A player doesn't just become 'bad', he's out of form and hasn't been played in a system that suits him as much. 

He's still our most technically gifted player, and heaven forbid the fans back the guy instead of turning on him becuase he didn't come back from injury putting in 10/10 performances, maybe we'd see the return of GT. 

Archived