George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not sure that’s true though. In quite a few games he’s done that and hidden away but he played some excellent passes forward today. He’s playing a different role to 13/14 which is what I think people don’t understand, Huddlestone is now the distributor in chief so Thorne has to act as more of a shield.

Fair enough, we see things differently. 

I hardly saw him in 13/14 so only really commenting on whats he is doing this season. 

Up against quick nimble ball players yesterday he looked off the pace and stood off players allowing them time to pick a pass. Understandable given his recent injuries. 

It maybe stood out more when up against a decent opposition. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I hardly saw him in 13/14 so only really commenting on whats he is doing this season. 

Up against quick nimble ball players yesterday he looked off the pace and stood off players allowing them time to pick a pass. Understandable given his recent injuries. 

He stood out more with Hendrick Bryson hughes et al around him ( and that’s no slant on Huddlestone)

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

To quote a former manager about statistics in football. 

"Statistics are like miniskirts. They give you good ideas but hide the important things"

George manages the passes where he can take a touch and find a 5-10 yard pass sideways and backwards, but his accuracy on first time longer passes towards the forwards is off at the moment. 

As ive said earlier, im hoping it will come as he gets stronger and fitter. 

We need more 5-10 yard passes. All these long balls pumped into the channels only to give the ball away are a shocking way to play football in this league. It is making life so easy for all these teams that we are struggling to beat. We need the ball to score but seem intent on letting the other team have it. We have players who are very capable of receiving the ball under pressure and George Thorn for all the nonsense spouted on here is probably the most adept at finding those gaps. Sadly we have a manager who likes the all to frequent tactic of lump it up front for the big bloke to chase approach, boring my pants off me (which is not an attractive vision).

41 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

That’s fair enough mate. I understand the defensive criticisms of him yesterday, don’t think he did a great job of stopping cairney which should have been his primary job, but then again not many players will do a good job of stopping cairney, he’s the best cm in the division. It’s the passing criticisms I don’t get really yesterday, he always looked pretty assured on the ball which at times he hasn’t during the season, thought myself he was heading more towards 2014 Thorne than 2017 Thorne in that sense.

Think the pace problem is one throughout our midfield not just Thorne. Obviously we won’t come across many teams with the skill and speed of fulham which is why we’ve got away with it a bit, along with the fact Huddlestone reads the game probably the best of any player in the division. But it’s still a problem we need to fix, personally I’d look to change formation in the summer to allow for us to have a box to box alongside Huddlestone in a 343 or some such.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

We need more 5-10 yard passes. All these long balls pumped into the channels only to give the ball away are a shocking way to play football in this league. It is making life so easy for all these teams that we are struggling to beat. We need the ball to score but seem intent on letting the other team have it. We have players who are very capable of receiving the ball under pressure and George Thorn for all the nonsense spouted on here is probably the most adept at finding those gaps. Sadly we have a manager who likes the all to frequent tactic of lump it up front for the big bloke to chase approach, boring my pants off me (which is not an attractive vision).

Im not a lover of Rowetts football either, but Ill give them credit yesterday, for the first 20 mins or so Vydra, Lawrence, Weiman were finding space and linking up well. 

Fulham scored and all that good play stopped, probably by Fulham closing the space. 

There's a happy medium with the 5 - 10 yards passes. Remember how boring Clements time was when it started with Shackell and 20 passes later it ended with Shackell..... 

Although we lost yesterday, I thought it was a decent game, and on another day we win that 3 2. 

Here's hoping the luck turns v QPR.  

45 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

There's a happy medium with the 5 - 10 yards passes. Remember how boring Clements time was when it started with Shackell and 20 passes later it ended with Shackell..... 

Agreed. There's no such thing as the short or long-ball game. It's about players picking the right pass at the right time. Of course there's a lot more to the game than just that e.g. pressing the opposition, preferably in their half.

32 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Im not a lover of Rowetts football either, but Ill give them credit yesterday, for the first 20 mins or so Vydra, Lawrence, Weiman were finding space and linking up well. 

Fulham scored and all that good play stopped, probably by Fulham closing the space. 

Although we lost yesterday, I thought it was a decent game, and on another day we win that 3 2. 

Here's hoping the luck turns v QPR.  

Agree It was a very good game which could have gone either way  give or take a few rub of the green moments ,, for me we have started to open up and be a bit less patient since the Norwich game but in the main we don’t have enough quality players to get away with it  , too many are poor finishers and poor final ball/ cross deliverers .

for me this is the first alarm bells period on rowett in terms of I think he may have caved in a bit in the face of booing unsupportive inpatient fans who demand some kind of mythical utopian fantasy football that they mistakenly remember as being delivered all the time under mac1 and moved away a bit too quickly from what was bringing success

bring back the days of 23 000 passionate rams fans ,, booing a team off at half time when they are in the thick of the promotion shake up ? Really? On players backs for any mistake or misplaced pass? If I was rowett or some of the derby players I would be considering moving on 

46 minutes ago, archied said:

If I was rowett or some of the derby players I would be considering moving on 

Because of a few boo's?! If GR or the players can't take a little bit of criticism (not that it's right to boo) for the money they get paid then they're in the wrong job, I'll swap with any of them. 

I'd take 10 lashes a day for 30k a week. 

I can't imagine any of them give an actual sheet about the fans or their boo's. 

Let's not pretend this boo'ing is a new thing either, in the 15 years I've been going it's always been there. 

1 hour ago, archied said:

Agree It was a very good game which could have gone either way  give or take a few rub of the green moments ,, for me we have started to open up and be a bit less patient since the Norwich game but in the main we don’t have enough quality players to get away with it  , too many are poor finishers and poor final ball/ cross deliverers .

for me this is the first alarm bells period on rowett in terms of I think he may have caved in a bit in the face of booing unsupportive inpatient fans who demand some kind of mythical utopian fantasy football that they mistakenly remember as being delivered all the time under mac1 and moved away a bit too quickly from what was bringing success

bring back the days of 23 000 passionate rams fans ,, booing a team off at half time when they are in the thick of the promotion shake up ? Really? On players backs for any mistake or misplaced pass? If I was rowett or some of the derby players I would be considering moving on 

Sorry Archied  there's not a team in football that doesn't get a few boos at half time ( and it was a few ) if they are losing 2-0  Don't forget an awful lot of fans had struggled in very poor conditions to get to that match If a player or manager can't put up with a bit of booing they are in the wrong profession If as you say they should consider moving on they will get the same or more likely worse wherever they go 

1 hour ago, archied said:

...for me this is the first alarm bells period on rowett in terms of I think he may have caved in a bit in the face of booing unsupportive inpatient fans who demand some kind of mythical utopian fantasy football that they mistakenly remember as being delivered all the time under mac1 and moved away a bit too quickly from what was bringing success...

Which came first chicken or the booing? GR messed about in January and with the team since. We've stopped winning, the fans have started booing.

*Nothing* to do with a past Macian utopian football ideal!

GT, good as he was, has been a distraction.  We should get used to the idea that 'when he returns it will be like signing a new player' is a false hope.  We should recruit a replacement if we have the funds because I can't see him returning to anything like the quality he used to be.

48 minutes ago, Spanish said:

GT, good as he was, has been a distraction.  We should get used to the idea that 'when he returns it will be like signing a new player' is a false hope.  We should recruit a replacement if we have the funds because I can't see him returning to anything like the quality he used to be.

This, Sadly! 

Sith Happens

I think its premature to say he wont reach his best again. If he keeps fit (apart from this blip) for the rest of the season, has a good pre-season then its next season I would judge if he will or not, if come september time he is not in form then i would tend to agree. I dont actually think hes been that bad myself though.

In fairness many on here said he would never play again so hes proved a lot wrong already.

Archived