George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If we decide not to keep him or he decides he wants to go, how much will it cost us to replace someone of his quality???

In this market ... bearing in mind the market has gone mental since we got him for (was it 4million?) , i think we would be looking at £10,000,000 these days.

This is for a fully fit version mind not someone who is injured

On 1/3/2018 at 11:44, SFox1993 said:

In this market ... bearing in mind the market has gone mental since we got him for (was it 4million?) , i think we would be looking at £10,000,000 these days.

This is for a fully fit version mind not someone who is injured

Exactly ! 

What is his current value though?  Not much, bearing in mind he hasn't proved his fitness nor has he made any real contribution to the team for at least 20 months. On that basis he isn't worth a contract, we can't wait forever. Harsh I know but there's no room for Shaun Barker type sentiment.

On the other hand, what if he eventually gets fit & returns to 2013/14 form for someone else?

The answer might be to offer just 1 year with an option to extend. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Hope so. I still maintain that he is our best player when fully fit and on his game.

When was the last time he was fully fit though? I would say that Nugent in his hey day would be our best player, point being that can we afford to give out contracts on how good players used to be?

That said, I would still give him an extended contract, Wiltshire for example is a player who has injury problems yet watching him last night, he looks back to his best now fully fit so it is possible.

19 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

When was the last time he was fully fit though? I would say that Nugent in his hey day would be our best player, point being that can we afford to give out contracts on how good players used to be?

This is way different isn't it?

Thorne turned 25 today, his broken leg wasn't his or his body's fault, was it.. just really bad luck.

Your comparison is just wrong.

Edit: You are right about Wilshire though

1 hour ago, GermanRam said:

This is way different isn't it?

Thorne turned 25 today, his broken leg wasn't his or his body's fault, was it.. just really bad luck.

Your comparison is just wrong.

Edit: You are right about Wilshire though

I’m not comparing, I’m saying that he can’t be judged as the best player at the club based on how he used to play, there are no guarantees he will ever get back to that level.

3 hours ago, Roboram said:

Exactly ! 

What is his current value though?  Not much, bearing in mind he hasn't proved his fitness nor has he made any real contribution to the team for at least 20 months. On that basis he isn't worth a contract, we can't wait forever. Harsh I know but there's no room for Shaun Barker type sentiment.

On the other hand, what if he eventually gets fit & returns to 2013/14 form for someone else?

The answer might be to offer just 1 year with an option to extend. 

Well in a reasonabley similar situation Kris Commons was sold for £350,000 wasn’t he - kind of worrying 

On 03/01/2018 at 11:07, Jimbo Ram said:

If we decide not to keep him or he decides he wants to go, how much will it cost us to replace someone of his quality???

We wouldn't. Gary would find someone who could do the job he wants OK but we wouldn't buy a player as capable as a fit GT.

If I were a championship club needing a midfielder I might be weighing up Thorne on the grounds he's come back and would not be too expensive to buy given lack of game time and length of contract....

I thought he did well last night. His and Thudds composure on the ball was just what we needed in a game where ball retention was important. Couple of sloppy passes but think that's always likely to happen when you're under pressure for long periods. Where's that contract Gary??

Don't think him or Huddlestone looked out of touch. I actually think that both would be even better in the premier league as there is more time and space to pick out a pass in that league whereas in the championship, players are aggressive and get really tight. He looked leggy towards the end but it's another positive for us that he got another 90 minutes under his belt. I've said this since day 1, but if Thorne is fit then we go up it's as simple as that.

I thought he was out best outfield player last night. He got some very important headers & interceptions in when united were going forward. He tried organising the defence at one stage telling wing backs to push out & looked to go forward towards the end 

54 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

I thought he was out best outfield player last night. He got some very important headers & interceptions in when united were going forward. He tried organising the defence at one stage telling wing backs to push out & looked to go forward towards the end 

He was very good but also Huddlestone was excellent I thought 

Archived