George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Derbylad92 said:

maybe it's not Thorne maybe it' the players around him the team in 13/14 would destroy our team now if it was possible to play against each other! We had 2 out of 3 very good centre miss worth him all the time Hendrick, Bryson and Hughes(a couple of times) they offered him alot where with Huddlestone with him doesnt really offer him anything if anything it' puts more pressure on him because our midfield is so defensive and the other teams midfiders are pushed on so much more he gets less time on the ball 

I think you've hit the nail on the head Derbylad92

5 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I actually agree with Doodle. The guy will never be the player he was.  

They probably said that about Dave Mackay after his broken leg.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

They probably said that about Dave Mackay after his broken leg.

You can never compare Thorne with Dave Mackay.  Mackay would still have been a fantastic footballer even if he played with  two broken legs. It's a bit like comparing a fish finger with a piece of Halibut. Both fish,  but one is way better than the other 

Sith Happens
17 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

You can never compare Thorne with Dave Mackay.  Mackay would still have been a fantastic footballer even if he played with  two broken legs. It's a bit like comparing a fish finger with a piece of Halibut. Both fish,  but one is way better than the other 

Its hard to compare any players from different eras. There is nothing to say Dave Mackay would be a good player today. That said he cut it in the PL and until Thorne has done so then that very fact says Mackay was the better player.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

What a load of uneducated twaddle. I assume you posted this nonsense to get a reaction; that worked then. 

Wasn’t trying to get a reaction and it didn’t really, apart from your good self and one or two others,  I would suggest a long night in the pub may have influenced the tone of the post and the ridiculous conclusion to it. But in the cold, sober light of day I still feel he isn’t good enough for a team aiming for or achieving promotion. His pace and mobility isn’t returning and I don’t expect it will. He has undoubted skill but is too easy to close down, preventing him from using it 

3 minutes ago, Doodle said:

His pace and mobility isn’t returning and I don’t expect it will. He has undoubted skill but is too easy to close down, preventing him from using it 

Perhaps he needs longer than some are giving him to adjust to what will have to be a different style of play?

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

I'm not making a direct comparison between Thorne's fish finger and Mackay's halibut. 

The point is that after a major injury he (mackay) came back a different player. The genius of Peter Taylor was to recognise that he could still be superb in a different role, and he was so good that he won the footballer of the year award when he wasn't even playing in the top division.

george may or may not be the same player again. But he might still be a very good player.

Then again.....i do have to eradicate thoughts of terry hennessey.

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

To quote a former manager about statistics in football. 

"Statistics are like miniskirts. They give you good ideas but hide the important things"

George manages the passes where he can take a touch and find a 5-10 yard pass sideways and backwards, but his accuracy on first time longer passes towards the forwards is off at the moment. 

As ive said earlier, im hoping it will come as he gets stronger and fitter. 

I’m not sure that’s true though. In quite a few games he’s done that and hidden away but he played some excellent passes forward today. He’s playing a different role to 13/14 which is what I think people don’t understand, Huddlestone is now the distributor in chief so Thorne has to act as more of a shield.

Patience required with Thorne, he's started 8 games after being out for almost 18 months, we're not going to see the best of him for a while yet. Problem being he won't improve whilst on the bench and we're at the stage of the season where we can't carry players.

Really needs a decent pre season inside him this summer, wouldn't write him off at all.

16 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

talking Dave Mackay and any of this lot in the same sentence is absolutely criminal.

We're 5th mate.

Won't happen, but can I say the dreaded 4-3-3?

Carson and the back 4 as is.

Huddz at the base, Ledley/Thorne as the destroyers and Johnson as the attacking midfielder, Palmer and Vydra around Jerome/Nuge (not to wide), full backs having to make the width.

Stop surrendering the middle for hard running in the channels.

It'd play different to the Martin 4-3-3 with vyds/palmer doing the linking and interchanging whilst the striker has the pull the centre halves around and be on the end. Huddz is deep Quarter back rather than pure DM but with two in front wont have to be.

It's never going to happen though.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Won't happen, but can I say the dreaded 4-3-3?

Carson and the back 4 as is.

Huddz at the base, Ledley/Thorne as the destroyers and Johnson as the attacking midfielder, Palmer and Vydra around Jerome/Nuge (not to wide), full backs having to make the width.

Stop surrendering the middle for hard running in the channels.

It'd play different to the Martin 4-3-3 with vyds/palmer doing the linking and interchanging whilst the striker has the pull the centre halves around and be on the end. Huddz is deep Quarter back rather than pure DM but with two in front wont have to be.

It's never going to happen though.

Don’t think it would work tbh, mainly because Johnson isn’t really good enough. It was probably what we need in games like yesterday to stop us being overrun in midfield but I don’t think we have the options. Maybe Palmer in CM might work? Other than that I’m struggling, he’d have to play like a Hughes then we’re still missing a younger Bryson.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t think it would work tbh, mainly because Johnson isn’t really good enough. It was probably what we need in games like yesterday to stop us being overrun in midfield but I don’t think we have the options. Maybe Palmer in CM might work? Other than that I’m struggling, he’d have to play like a Hughes then we’re still missing a younger Bryson.

Yeah, you're right, but then, if we'd wanted to go for that kind of set up wed not have moved the direction we have with things. Rowett's never going to pick it anyway. But i do like the idea of Huddz at the base as the playmaker with 2 reasonably robust midfielders in front of him. Hendrick as the more attacking of the two for example.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yeah, you're right, but then, if we'd wanted to go for that kind of set up wed not have moved the direction we have with things. Rowett's never going to pick it anyway. But i do like the idea of Huddz at the base as the playmaker with 2 reasonably robust midfielders in front of him. Hendrick as the more attacking of the two for example.

Yeah I think that would be impressive as well. I’m not sure rowett would be too adverse to it since he played it at the start of the season, but were too far away from having players like Hendrick etc in the team. Daft thing is, had we had Huddlestone under Mac in 2014, we’d probably have not collapsed as badly...

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah I think that would be impressive as well. I’m not sure rowett would be too adverse to it since he played it at the start of the season, but were too far away from having players like Hendrick etc in the team. Daft thing is, had we had Huddlestone under Mac in 2014, we’d probably have not collapsed as badly...

Yeah we would, he'd just have been next on the list after Eustace, Thorne and Mascarell were ended...the gods were not smiling on us that season...

Archived