Return of the Mac

toddy

The newcastle thing is a non-issue for me.

there's no doubt in my mind that schteve was indirectly in contact with newcastle via his agent but thats how football works. If we'd gone up i think he would have stayed. If we'd narrowly failed i think he would have gone. But we failed so spectacularly that he was oblided to commit to staying. the sensible thing for mel would have been to go away, chill out, forget about sacking people and plan for the next season. instead he chose to sack Schteve, eric and paul simpson, and head off on a new track. Now we've come full circle and Mel has blown alot of credibility in the process, hurt a few people and managed the club as if it were a video game. 

my doubts about schteve are ironically related to his skill as a coach. Towards the end last time, the defence became a shambles. The tactic of splitting the centre halves left us wide open. We conceded goals not because of injuries (except thorne) but primarily due to the huge self-created fault line down the central spine of the team. Paul clement solved the dodgy defence by playing an orthodox back four with jason shackell and centre backs who cover for each other. 

Oh well. Here we go. Derby 3 Leeds 3.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mostyn6 said:

@LeedsCityRam but you're stating your conspiracy theories (lies) as fact. "it wasn't enough to satisfy his ambitions"?? What are you basing that on? the facts are he stated the total opposite, on numerous occasions, and didn't leave of his own accord.

And you believe everything a manager or player says in a media interview. Wow.

The facts are these. Newcastle wanted him. He was sacked because of growing board unrest about the link with Newcastle. He joined Newcastle.

14 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Not happy!

When we sacked Mclaren it was the right decision. We had been found out tactically and had no plan b. People say the injuries cost us but I remember Brentford home I'm sure he had Martin on the wing keogh right back and Dawkins cm all because he wanted to stick to his one trick that had 'worked' the year before. 

I was hoping Newcastle would take him and pay us compo but we ended up sacking him and paying him off! He then went to Newcastle and as I expected miserably failed. He got them relegated. It's no coincidence when rafa came in their form massively improved but by then the damage was done.

I'm worried. He will try play the same way but the likes of Hendrick, Dawkins, Ward and Martin have gone. Even if Martin did come back he's not what he once was so he wouldn't get us 20+.

I know I'm being negative and I know some of you will shoot me down but I'm concerned. I hope I look back at this post end of season and laugh at my self but my thoughts are not positive.

Time to listen to return of the mac and attempt to get positive!

that's kinda where I'm at atm, I'm trying to put some positive spins on it and I realise there will be even if it's we just try and play better football than what we have done

tommorow is a new day and so hoping I wake up with a feel good factor about it that others clearly have, and FairPlay I'm more than happy to eat humble pie end of season or beyond 

up the Rams whoevers In charge 

I hope l am wrong because l want my club to be the best they can be, but there is nothing today that gets me excited.

lf a (large) number of you want to airbrush Mac's disloyalty,  and completely disregard his disastrous 9 month tenure at Newcastle, on the basis he made you happy for about a year, well good for you.

The 'disposal' of our last two full time managers, and the parachuting-in of Harry in when Wassall was only a few games in charge, was always going to make it difficult for Mel to attract a decent manager this time round.

Strikes me as an appointment of a desperate manager by an Owner with limited options. Or a marriage made in heaven perhaps many of you would argue.

6 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

And you believe everything a manager or player says in a media interview. Wow.

The facts are these. Newcastle wanted him. He was sacked because of growing board unrest about the link with Newcastle. He joined Newcastle.

that's very different to him leaving cos of his ambitions!

Huge, huge gonads by Mel to appoint Mac. The Newcastle thing will be forgotten pretty quickly if we start doing well, if we don't, then some fans may not be so lenient with McClaren. It is also naive to think that this will be just like last time. When he arrived last time he was inheriting a team where being in a single digit position at any point of the season was successful. He now has a side which he is expected to take up. Not this season of course, but his contract is until 2017/18. I think the expectation will be promotion by then.

There would also have been, I expect some bitterness between Mel and Mac. The way he left was not really a friendly way to leave. He was refusing to leave. There were a couple days where he had been 'sacked' but hadn't officially left. I expect he's grateful for the opportunity to reignite his career once again. It seems he had given up on management due to the fact he had gone to do a degree in Sports Management or something like that. He was turning his attention to running a club from the boardroom rather than the training pitch and dugout. He's been given this opportunity again. If he does well again his head won't be turned by PL football anymore. I expect he's learnt from his mistakes and regrets ever looking at the Newcastle job in the first place. Unless it's too good to refuse (Newcastle wasn't), I'm sure he'll be more than content here.

If this is part of the 'plan' that Mel talked of in the Marketing Q&A then we can see he's looking to attractive football again. However we still need to ensure our recruitment side is much, much better in order to give Mac the best possible chance of success. The common denominator since he arrived, and the managers that have followed is poor recruitment. It's hindered us and a large reason we are yet to achieve promotion.

I'm excited to see us at least attempt some attacking football again. It'll be nice is Steve can get the true potential out of this side once again. But give him time, he's not a miracle worker despite what he did in 2013/14. We seem a good match, Derby & McClaren, now for him to really redeem himself as a manager and guide us to the top tier...

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

that's very different to him leaving cos of his ambitions!

No its not. It would've been very easy for him to say no to Newcastle & reassure our board - he didn't because he wanted the keep the option of managing a bigger club in a higher division open, something that can only be explained by ambition. Its inarguable. He has to take responsibility for what happened.

There's shades of grey here - I'm not opposed to McClaren's appointment, I just haven't forgotten his past history. I hope he succeeds but he's no returning hero in my eyes.

Can I just advise those fans who are looking forward to seeing McClaren fail because he's a "judas" and will be booing him at first opportunity, please stay at home.  Go and find something else to do that actually delights you.  I don't want you there and neither does the club.

Just now, maydrakin said:

Can I just advise those fans who are looking forward to seeing McClaren fail because he's a "judas" and will be booing him at first opportunity, please stay at home.  Go and find something else to do that actually delights you.  I don't want you there and neither does the club.

Amen.

It is what it is I guess - hopefully he will get us playing football worth watching..

Personally I do believe that his original sacking was correct and reading back reports from the time he appeared to never rule out moving to Newcastle until after we missed the play-offs..however you want to view that, it obviously had a significant effect on the tail end of our season and for that he was certainly fully responsible..

I called Groundhog Day when it looked like we were going the same way as last season..this is kind of different but another interesting twist...

If nothing else it is never boring is it....

2 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

The people who boo will boo whoever is manager. Its in their nature, they can't help it.

They should have picked a different pastime. Like wrestling.

18 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

No its not. It would've been very easy for him to say no to Newcastle & reassure our board - he didn't because he wanted the keep the option of managing a bigger club in a higher division open, something that can only be explained by ambition. Its inarguable. He has to take responsibility for what happened.

There's shades of grey here - I'm not opposed to McClaren's appointment, I just haven't forgotten his past history. I hope he succeeds but he's no returning hero in my eyes.

So easy he did so TWICE, at least! If someone wants to leave, they don't refuse the job twice and carry on doing their current job for 6-8 months! Explain that logic, in any sense. In makes no sense whatsoever. All that really happened, is he was flattered, no more, no less.

The only important thing is that every fan is 100% behind the team on Saturday and for every game...fortress time....managers, staff, players, owners they come and go...DCFC is the one constant and that is all that matters to me....

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Derby County have exhausted me to the point where I have really no idea whether this is a good appointment or not. My head says it ought to be but everything else screams utter apathy.

I know how you feel!

What hasn't helped is the lack of any games due to the International break, all the focus has been on the 'goings-on' off the pitch (understandably). Saturday can't come quickly enough! :D 

Archived