Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I welcome mac back but he needs time to get the side back playing, we've gone backwards since he left and in my opinion has a bigger job on his hands than when he last came in

mac always got some good loans players in be intresting to see what he can do with a bit of mels money which he didnt have last time 

hopefully this time around he's learnt from his mistake of having his head turned and can complete the job. He's a good manager and he fits sometimes like the newcastle job your face just doesnt fit  

Delighted  to have him back, let the good times begin. Ei ei ei o, up the footballe league we go, when we win promotion this is what we'll sing, we are Derby we are Derby, Stevie is our king !!!! 

1 minute ago, G-Ram said:

I welcome mac back but he needs time to get the side back playing, we've gone backwards since he left and in my opinion has a bigger job on his hands than when he last came in

mac always got some good loans players in be intresting to see what he can do with a bit of mels money which he didnt have last time 

hopefully this time around he's learnt from his mistake of having his head turned and can complete the job. He's a good manager and he fits sometimes like the newcastle job your face just doesnt fit  

Yeah.

I find myself expecting an instant click but it's not fair.

Just a sense of what we had. Just a hint of fast, on the deck and sometimes suicidal football. 

Some fans have incredibly short memories. Does anyone remember where we were before Mac took over ? We were firmly a midtable side that looked years away from challenging. Mac singlehandedly turned us into promotion contenders playing some of the best damn football we've ever seen whilst not spending a deal whatsoever.

Oh but the collapse ? Any side that sustained the number of long term injuries to key players we did in that short  a time frame in february would have their season destabilized. Heck, Grant had to play a significant amount of games carrying a injury. Mac made mistakes but he was scrabbling for an answer in difficult circumstanes

Oh but what about Plan B ? For a start we managed to reach the top of table, playing most sides of the park despite being 'figured out'. Also if people actually watched the games they'd realise we had a plan B, when working off Martin and going centrally wouldn't work we attempted to overload the wings making use of ours wing backs. If that didn't work mac would usually go 'gung ho' and switch a 424.

Oh but what about  the interest from Newcastle ? HE. TURNED. NEWCASTLE. DOWN . TWICE. If anyone wants further info to refute the stuff around Newcastle I suggest you dig up @cannable 's posts on the matter because he has done a stellar job in several places to dismiss these rumours.

Oh but what about him being crap at Newcastle ? Sure he might have been crap at Newcastle but the Newcastle job has been considered a poisoned chalice for years. Many good managers have gone there and failed.

My post might seem dismissive of people's concerns, some of them are legitimate and there is a non-zero chance that rehiring him will be a disaster. I'm just sick of reading people discrediting his time here and making this decision out to be diabolical. Any better candidate is currently attached to a club and it's extremely unlikely we can prize them away to join us after our start of the season. If he and Mel have patched things up he is the best candidate available, particularly provided 'The Derby Way' is really 'The Mac way' when it comes to footballing philosophy, and certain people should give him more credit for the job he did previously.

29 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I've got nowt against managers going back Eddie. Sometimes it just fits, the partnership works and things click into place.

Just think Steve did a lot more damage than good toward the end of his first spell. The playing side and atmosphere throughout the club was totally spoiled, either directly as a result of his behaviour and perceived lack of loyalty or the alarming loss of form and the massive dip in results/performances.

Clough at Burton, McClaren at Derby, two totally different managers, two totally different people, two totally different situations and two totally different clubs.

I hope for the fans sake everything clicks under Steve again but my own feeling is that he'll buckle and walk away again at the first prolonged spell  of things not going his way. 

I think Mel has made a mistake in going back and having to repair a relationship that was clearly badly broken last time around. I don't think Steve McClaren is good enough to warrant such a u-turn.

What bit of "He didn't walk away last time" don't you fully understand, Ronnie? He was pressed time and time again about Newcastle, and time and time again he said that he was staying at Derby - a position he maintained until the carpet was pulled from under his feet.

I don't know what happened last time and I don't know how acrimonious the divorce was, but unlike others, I don't pretend that I do - and I don't have a chip on my shoulder, again unlike some others I could mention.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Some fans have incredibly short memories. Does anyone remember where we were before Mac took over ? We were firmly a midtable side that looked years away from challenging. Mac singlehandedly turned us into promotion contenders playing some of the best damn football we've ever seen whilst not spending a deal whatsoever.

Oh but the collapse ? Any side that sustained the number of long term injuries to key players we did in that short  a time frame in february would have their season destabilized. Heck, Grant had to play a significant amount of games carrying a injury. Mac made mistakes but he was scrabbling for an answer in difficult circumstanes

Oh but what about Plan B ? For a start we managed to reach the top of table, playing most sides of the park despite being 'figured out'. Also if people actually watched the games they'd realise we had a plan B, when working off Martin and going centrally wouldn't work we attempted to overload the wings making use of ours wing backs. If that didn't work mac would usually go 'gung ho' and switch a 424.

Oh but what about  the interest from Newcastle ? HE. TURNED. NEWCASTLE. DOWN . TWICE. If anyone wants further info to refute the stuff around Newcastle I suggest you dig up @cannable 's posts on the matter because he has done a stellar job in several places to dismiss these rumours.

Oh but what about him being crap at Newcastle ? Sure he might have been crap at Newcastle but the Newcastle job has been considered a poisoned chalice for years. Many good managers have gone there and failed.

My post might seem dismissive of people's concerns, some of them are legitimate and there is a non-zero chance that rehiring him will be a disaster. I'm just sick of reading people discrediting his time here and making this decision out to be diabolical. Any better candidate is currently attached to a club and it's extremely unlikely we can prize them away to join us after our start of the season. If he and Mel have patched things up he is the best candidate available, particularly provided 'The Derby Way' is really 'The Mac way' when it comes to footballing philosophy, and certain people should give him more credit for the job he did previously.

A ******* wonderful post!! 

Also to add that you can only collapse down to 8th place if you were above 8th place. Mac gave us a top 6 team. He didn't inherit one.

As a Mac fanboy I will always accept he made mistakes. But I just wanted to see if he'd learn from them in the summer of 2015

36 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I've got nowt against managers going back Eddie. Sometimes it just fits, the partnership works and things click into place.

Just think Steve did a lot more damage than good toward the end of his first spell. The playing side and atmosphere throughout the club was totally spoiled, either directly as a result of his behaviour and perceived lack of loyalty or the alarming loss of form and the massive dip in results/performances.

Clough at Burton, McClaren at Derby, two totally different managers, two totally different people, two totally different situations and two totally different clubs.

I hope for the fans sake everything clicks under Steve again but my own feeling is that he'll buckle and walk away again at the first prolonged spell  of things not going his way. 

I think Mel has made a mistake in going back and having to repair a relationship that was clearly badly broken last time around. I don't think Steve McClaren is good enough to warrant such a u-turn.

There are no guarantees and going back is not an easy solution.

But your grasp of history is a little slack. He was sacked but would have stayed. You are correct about fans perceptions but Maclaren said no different to Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink when asked about approaches from other clubs yet MacClaren was pilloried. Which of the 'lies' doing the rounds at that time do you think is the truth? Cos there were so many different versions going around they can't all have been true.

Detect some 'bitter balls ; in your post , as he replaced your much beloved N Clough. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

We don't always agree about detail and given time I could probably have a moan about some of your points but the essence and feeling are 100% on the money. Despite admiring his cleverness and goal scoring record Chris Martin isn't my favourite player and we were under Mac at times exposed for one trick ponies but .. Before Mac .... Dull, uninspiring, lower half of the table. After Mac ? ... So yes welcome back warts, comb over, brolly and all the rest. 

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

This is a sexy post 10/10 would read again

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Will people stop writing such good posts? I'm running out of likes!

Very happy with the appointment and looking forward to some cracking football ahead. 

I for one just look forward to the potential of watching good, entertaining football, in fairness in the last few months I thought it may never return.

With the advent of Sam's persuasive nature managing to get Mel and Steve round a table and both eating large measures of humble pie, my Saturdays could once again become enjoyable.

Please Derby fans lets get behind our team and start to enjoy again.

A good appointment for me, I don't give a **** if he had his head turned last time, and certainly won't if it happens again.  That will mean both the club and him have been successful.  His style of football is good, and better than what has been served up for the past 18 months, so if he can replicate that I'll be happy.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah.

I find myself expecting an instant click but it's not fair.

Just a sense of what we had. Just a hint of fast, on the deck and sometimes suicidal football. 

Genuine concern that the type of football you describe is not what Mac tends to play. Its certainly not what he's done at his other clubs.

He did during his first season and it was great.

His second season he slowed it down a bit and stopped players getting forward quickly when we were in possession.

The injuries then destroyed the season but Mac's natural caution may stop him from being a great manager rather than a great coach.

I hope we see the Mac that took over from Clough rather than the one that started the following season.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

A ******* wonderful post!! 

Also to add that you can only collapse down to 8th place if you were above 8th place. Mac gave us a top 6 team. He didn't inherit one.

As a Mac fanboy I will always accept he made mistakes. But I just wanted to see if he'd learn from them in the summer of 2015

For me I was willing to overlook some of the mistakes he made because they were in difficult circumstances and he had enough good will from the previous 18 months. Even the best Managers will make mistakes, you only have to look at some of the mistakes Sir Alex Ferguson made to see that (signing Veron for £28M springs to mind).

16 minutes ago, jono said:

We don't always agree about detail and given time I could probably have a moan about some of your points but the essence and feeling are 100% on the money. Despite admiring his cleverness and goal scoring record Chris Martin isn't my favourite player and we were under Mac at times exposed for one trick ponies but .. Before Mac .... Dull, uninspiring, lower half of the table. After Mac ? ... So yes welcome back warts, comb over, brolly and all the rest. 

I appreciate that @jono. I don't think Mac is perfect or some kind of messiah, he may not even be the absolute best possible candidate. I just think he's the by far the best candidate available given how he clicked so well last time.

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Genuine concern that the type of football you describe is not what Mac tends to play. Its certainly not what he's done at his other clubs.

He did during his first season and it was great.

His second season he slowed it down a bit and stopped players getting forward quickly when we were in possession.

The injuries then destroyed the season but Mac's natural caution may stop him from being a great manager rather than a great coach.

I hope we see the Mac that took over from Clough rather than the one that started the following season.

He did. It was a conscious tactical decision to have a greater degree of control over the match, and we ended up controlling nearly every match we played until injuries destroyed us.

Archived