Return of the Mac

toddy

5 minutes ago, jono said:

did anyone else see that comment in the DET ?

It was always going to be Steve on a statistical basis .. see pattern below

The last managers of Derby have been since 2007 : Nigel, Steve, Paul, Nigel, and .... guess what :thumbsup:

Bet Paul Jewell is dusting off his sweater and star smile as we speak 

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Surely he has to be judged on points per game?

Anything above 1.7ppg from here is more than acceptable, even it it means we'll only end up on around 70pts (7th-10th)

1.7ppg over the full 46 game season would give you 78pts for the season which is a play off place.

That's part of the reason I want the poll done by league position. I suspect that many will demand play offs, whist not realising what a monumental task that is from our current position.

On 9 October 2016 at 21:07, LeedsCityRam said:

Don't follow that logic. The greatest indication of future behaviour is past behaviour - your assertion ignores human nature. McClaren is ambitious, has managed England & won national titles abroad - he doesn't think he belongs at a large-medium club in the second tier.

He doesn't like being unemployed either.

This is the first time he has returned to a previous job. Perhaps he wants to set things right?

And, just perhaps, some of us should have a long hard look in the mirror: "why exactly are we threatened by ambition?"

22 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Surely he has to be judged on points per game?

Anything above 1.7ppg from here is more than acceptable, even it it means we'll only end up on around 70pts (7th-10th)

1.7ppg over the full 46 game season would give you 78pts for the season which is a play off place.

I think you're on the right lines but personally I'd set the bar around 1.5ppg. We currently don't have the players to play any system perfectly, we are very low on confidence and Mac doesn't have a loan window to maneuver in to patch things till January. 

34 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

Surely that's because he was the cause of it?

I remember being at the match when the opposition had done their homework i.e. a man on the CDM, a man on the CF and split the CB's - job done. It was like watching a rabbit in the headlights. And that was on a per game basis. How many matches will it take to get to the same scenario?

This myth again.....

You do realise that nearly every team we played tried to do this to us in 14/15 ? You do realise before the injury crisis we were sat in 2nd ? You do realise it was our tactical decision to split the CB's to cover more of the pitch ?

Teams did this to us and we beat them anyway. Very few teams actually managed to successfully shut us down and I'm not convinced how much that was tactics from the opposition or us having a off day. In fact if a team didn't try to deliberately shut us down, we'd hammer them. 

7 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

He doesn't like being unemployed either.

This is the first time he has returned to a previous job. Perhaps he wants to set things right?

And, just perhaps, some of us should have a long hard look in the mirror: "why exactly are we threatened by ambition?"

No its not, he returned to FC Twente also.

Just to clarify, I have no problem with managers or players being ambitious. People are entitled to fulfill their potential & be the best they can be. Hence I'm pleased for Jeff Hendrick & wouldn't begrudge Will Hughes a shot at the Premiership should we not go up again. The tone of a departure is all important in this though.

McClaren's situation is different in so far as he had already experienced the heights (England manager, Europa League Cup Final with Boro, 1999 treble success as Man Utd assistant manager) but chose to step down to the second tier because his reputation was in tatters when we hired him in October 2013. He was an assistant manager at QPR when we picked him up.

Did he deserve another shot at the bigtime? Yes, once he'd finished his job with us. I felt that he owed us some loyalty in view of the circumstances in which we gave him the job. Had he left once we'd been promoted, different story - I'd have wished him well. However he jumped to the Premiership ahead of us & that is what I found most unpalatable about the situation.

And the reason he is back with us (again) is because, like 2013, his reputation has been tarnished by a high profile managerial failure. He couldn't get a job at the top level at present.

6 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

the second visitation was disaster.

But it is his 4th. here..................

Are we suckers for punishment or what ??

Why do people keep saying that? It really wasn't. 

Not only had Twente sold all their best players, teams like Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord had all strengthened massively. Twente ended up finishing just about exactly where they deserved to finish, when you take in the quality of the teams around them. How he managed to win the league in his first season there is still a mystery, and also considered one of the major shocks/achievements in Dutch league football.

In the (paraphrased) words of Mel Morris "Give him a break!"

Its true we did play our best football under him. I understand why Mel has taken this option hoping the good time will come back quickly. If it does not work out he will be gone like Pearson. Hopefully this will not happen and the good time can return back. Mac is good coach and he needs to give his all to the club after getting a lifeline back in to football.

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

No its not, he returned to FC Twente also.

Just to clarify, I have no problem with managers or players being ambitious. People are entitled to fulfill their potential & be the best they can be. Hence I'm pleased for Jeff Hendrick & wouldn't begrudge Will Hughes a shot at the Premiership should we not go up again. The tone of a departure is all important in this though.

McClaren's situation is different in so far as he had already experienced the heights (England manager, Europa League Cup Final with Boro, 1999 treble success as Man Utd assistant manager) but chose to step down to the second tier because his reputation was in tatters when we hired him in October 2013. He was an assistant manager at QPR when we picked him up.

Did he deserve another shot at the bigtime? Yes, once he'd finished his job with us. I felt that he owed us some loyalty in view of the circumstances in which we gave him the job. Had he left once we'd been promoted, different story - I'd have wished him well. However he jumped to the Premiership ahead of us & that is what I found most unpalatable about the situation.

And the reason he is back with us (again) is because, like 2013, his reputation has been tarnished by a high profile managerial failure. He couldn't get a job at the top level at present.

The problem is that this is entirely speculative and based on paper talk. All we know for sure is that he turned Newcastle down twice during the season and at the end of the season was sacked.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Why do people keep saying that? It really wasn't. 

Not only had Twente sold all their best players, teams like Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord had all strengthened massively. Twente ended up finishing just about exactly where they deserved to finish, when you take in the quality of the teams around them. How he managed to win the league in his first season there is still a mystery, and also considered one of the major shocks/achievements in Dutch league football.

In the (paraphrased) words of Mel Morris "Give him a break!"

Totally different to our situation right!? :ph34r:

In seriousness, there's a long video of Mac's best matches on ramsplayer and they're all up as seperate videos for each match on youtube.

They make me miss Hendrick and Martin :(

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

You're really struggling to grasp this aren't you ?

ScreenHunter_894.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

In seriousness, there's a long video of Mac's best matches on ramsplayer and they're all up as seperate videos for each match on youtube.

I know right. Did you notice how nearly every goal was a little spectacular ? Full of swift passing moves, cracking shots from distance or intricate flick finishes.

3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

We've lost Hendrick and Martin, but brought in Vydra, Anya, Blackman, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Ince and Carson since then. Always wondered what a McClaren team with that lot in it might look like. I guess now we'll find out!

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We've lost Hendrick and Martin, but brought in Vydra, Anya, Blackman, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Ince and Carson since then. Always wondered what a McClaren team with that lot in it might look like. I guess now we'll find out!

No mention of our Martyr Lord Bucko, who was sold for our sins? Blasphemous!

Archived