Return of the Mac

toddy

Absolutely delighted with this! As someone posted earlier, 'The Derby Way' has always been 'The McClaren Way'. If player power really is as large as has been speculated then I'd say they played a part in the Mac returning, which is fine by me. Smiles all around!

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope everybody gets behind the lads and McClaren on Saturday. Let's treat it as a fresh start - not just from last time McClaren was here, but a totally fresh start for this season and this crop of players too. If we can get anywhere close to the football, the passion of the players and fans as his last time in charge I'll be a happy man anyway. COYR

45 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Some fans have incredibly short memories. Does anyone remember where we were before Mac took over ? We were firmly a midtable side that looked years away from challenging. Mac singlehandedly turned us into promotion contenders playing some of the best damn football we've ever seen whilst not spending a deal whatsoever.

Oh but the collapse ? Any side that sustained the number of long term injuries to key players we did in that short  a time frame in february would have their season destabilized. Heck, Grant had to play a significant amount of games carrying a injury. Mac made mistakes but he was scrabbling for an answer in difficult circumstanes

Oh but what about Plan B ? For a start we managed to reach the top of table, playing most sides of the park despite being 'figured out'. Also if people actually watched the games they'd realise we had a plan B, when working off Martin and going centrally wouldn't work we attempted to overload the wings making use of ours wing backs. If that didn't work mac would usually go 'gung ho' and switch a 424.

Oh but what about  the interest from Newcastle ? HE. TURNED. NEWCASTLE. DOWN . TWICE. If anyone wants further info to refute the stuff around Newcastle I suggest you dig up @cannable 's posts on the matter because he has done a stellar job in several places to dismiss these rumours.

Oh but what about him being crap at Newcastle ? Sure he might have been crap at Newcastle but the Newcastle job has been considered a poisoned chalice for years. Many good managers have gone there and failed.

My post might seem dismissive of people's concerns, some of them are legitimate and there is a non-zero chance that rehiring him will be a disaster. I'm just sick of reading people discrediting his time here and making this decision out to be diabolical. Any better candidate is currently attached to a club and it's extremely unlikely we can prize them away to join us after our start of the season. If he and Mel have patched things up he is the best candidate available, particularly provided 'The Derby Way' is really 'The Mac way' when it comes to footballing philosophy, and certain people should give him more credit for the job he did previously.

yeTzngDxfRY8U.gif

I am neither exited nor disappointed by this appointment. He had a good time with us and took over when we were in a similar league position. Although this time we arguably have a better squad. As I always do, I will give the new boss time and see how it turns out. Will give the boys my full support on Saturday and I'm intrigued with how we will set up. Coyr 

13 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

You would have thought that being sacked by both England and Newcastle will have destroyed McClarens delusions of grandeur, I wonder if a leopard does ever change his spots......

delusions of grandeur? How so? Cos he has a nervous/fake smile? Yorkshire accent? Island of hair? How very dare he!

I said a week ago that I'd have been unhappy if McClaren got the job & am not changing my opinion on that. He thinks he's bigger than Derby & you should never employ a manager or a player who believes they're 'doing you a favour' - there's little motivation for them. Am also incredulous to see some people describe him as some kind of returning hero/messiah - he took us to a playoff final with a squad built by the previous manager. Nothing more. A job on a par with Roy McFarland & even Billy Davies has a better record as Derby manager.

All misgivings aside, I want him to succeed & wish him the best. Through good times & bad.

My Mum and Dad got divorced when I was 5, she then married a total ******** while my dad lived in a caravan behind his work for the next 8 years!

The marriage didn't last that long, and a decade after they'd split my parents remarried, and are still married 25 years later.

This is a true story, and so I'm all for Mel and Steve giving it another go.

Although to be fair, I doubt Mac's come back cos his caravan is fookin cold in the winter!

True love conquers all.

Last night I booked the tickets for my Son and I (after watching a god-awful England display). Was all ready looking forward to Saturday but now I can't wait. Great news today IMO and I really think that having Powell as Assistant Manager will help us long-term to be stronger defensively. Welcome back Steve. COYR!!

In theory he can play the following so the tactics shouldn't be far from before.

Carson

Christie Keogh Pearce Anya

Johnson

Bryson Hughes

Ince Vydra Russell

Get Grant/Martin back and Forsyth/Thorne fit and that's 10 of 11 of his regular XI still here. Only really Buxton and maybe Hendrick missing.

Think he actually has more options now even if a few probably won't reach those heights again. Hopefully he can patch it up until January, put us in the mix and then tweak it into something that keeps building for 5 months.

I'm sure I'm building my hopes up too far to hide my fears it will be a damp squib but let's hope for the best.

14 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I said a week ago that I'd have been unhappy if McClaren got the job & am not changing my opinion on that. He thinks he's bigger than Derby & you should never employ a manager or a player who believes they're 'doing you a favour' - there's little motivation for them. Am also incredulous to see some people describe him as some kind of returning hero/messiah - he took us to a playoff final with a squad built by the previous manager. Nothing more. A job on a par with Roy McFarland & even Billy Davies has a better record as Derby manager.

All misgivings aside, I want him to succeed & wish him the best. Through good times & bad.

what do you think of Brian Clough?

3 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Derby County have exhausted me to the point where I have really no idea whether this is a good appointment or not. My head says it ought to be but everything else screams utter apathy.

That's my feelings. 

Would I be shocked if SM scraped us into the playoffs and won and Wembley? Not massively. Would I be shocked if he took us into League One... Not really. 

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what are your feelings for him? Are they warm? are they good? are they bad? is there like? dislike? Simply, what do you think?

I support Derby. Of course they're warm. He's the greatest manager we ever had & shaped much of how we perceive ourselves as a club today.

Interested to find out where this is heading..

34 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

I support Derby. Of course they're warm. He's the greatest manager we ever had & shaped much of how we perceive ourselves as a club today.

Interested to find out where this is heading..

Cloughie thought he was bigger than Derby, he ACTUALLY resigned and managed TWO RIVALS. So you're a hypocrite. I bet you're probably old enough to remember when he nearly came back, and I bet you wanted him to.

Archived