Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Genuine concern that the type of football you describe is not what Mac tends to play. Its certainly not what he's done at his other clubs.

He did during his first season and it was great.

His second season he slowed it down a bit and stopped players getting forward quickly when we were in possession.

The injuries then destroyed the season but Mac's natural caution may stop him from being a great manager rather than a great coach.

I hope we see the Mac that took over from Clough rather than the one that started the following season.

That's a nagging thought that I'm ignoring. 

But I'd have happily accepted Clough too to rebuild the walls that I feel have been broken down. Replace a few "experienced" (average) Champ players with some young hungry newbie. I thought we were going in the wrong direction here.

I just want us to get back on track and next time we employ a manager again make sure he's read the script. 

I'm praying Mac learned a few lessons about what worked for him at Derby and what didn't.

I'm always sceptical of going back to something that you once enjoyed. Once that air of nostalgia drifts away you are left with a reminder and an impending feeling of what if. However, this just feels right. Sometimes it is just a good fit and McClaren at Derby is that fit. Maybe now that club openness will return and I am pleased Rush has a voice again.

Maybe if he goes full bald eagle this time then we will get promotion.

15 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Yes, you are wrong. He didn't resign cos he didn't want to leave.

Apologies if that is the case, do you know he didn't want to leave for a fact?

If so my opinion would change quite dramatically.

It does leave one question though, why when the 'Newcastle thing' came up did he not completely crush it if he so wanted to stay.

Not crushing it when he wanted to stay, meant no good was to come to himself, the players, results, the club in general. It was a weird move.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

It does leave one question though, why when the 'Newcastle thing' came up did he not completely crush it if he so wanted to stay.

Not crushing it when he wanted to stay, meant no good was to come to himself, the players, results, the club in general. It was a weird move.

Cheers

He wanted to have the Newcastle job originally but then the talks broke down between him and Newcastle so he pledged his loyalty to Derby and then Derby sacked him. So he re-negotiated with Newcastle and got the job.

For a man paid to talk, Robbie Savage frequently struggles to string together a coherent sentence, so I'm not sure he's massively worth listening to.

I think it's a risky appointment and I wasn't happy with the way it ended first time round, but it's not going to made any better by me having a huff about it. I'll give the Mac a chance.

20 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

your stance is a bit boring now, but you're entitled to it. We've just seen a so-called quality manager struggle with a plan B. To be fair, I couldn't care less what division we are in as long as I am entertained. Perhaps you could go and SUPPORT Leicester, cos you don't seem like you support Derby.

i supose most of the pages of threads are boring to you also so should we all support leicester ? . we already made a mistake with wolly but some are happy to try again and again with different managers every few months. all i want is stability for the club iv supported all my life. not bowering down to fan reactions and the fans picking who they want as manager ie pearson and now sm again. you might be happy in 2nd tier but a decent manager who is given time would get us up, but you might get more entertainment as 3rd tier when we could win every game 4 nill. when the going gets tough our players go missing. the dressing room wanted sorting not a bunch of muppets crying because they were told what to do

27 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Cheers

there's a difference in 'having ambitions (to manage Newcastle)', and "wanting to leave"

I would like to go around the world, but it doesn't mean I'll chuck everything in and do it immediately. Maybe after he'd finished at Derby, years down the line, he wanted the Newcastle job.

17 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

He wanted to have the Newcastle job originally but then the talks broke down between him and Newcastle so he pledged his loyalty to Derby and then Derby sacked him. So he re-negotiated with Newcastle and got the job.

See above.

11 hours ago, Kernow said:

A few reactions to the appointment from ex-pros...

Fair comment from Danny, good to see him wish us Rams well. He always speaks sense about us and I get the impression he follows us a bit.

Isn't there a program on Radio Derby just after the breakfast show more suited to the other two?

Just because they played in the Premiership, it doesn't mean they are all knowing, particularly on Derby County. Shearer will probably see us twice this year, Savage might take in the odd paid T.V game. So w.t.f does it matter to them other than attention seeking.

20 minutes ago, lee_derby said:

...when the going gets tough our players go missing. the dressing room wanted sorting not a bunch of muppets crying because they were told what to do

Darren Bent on Sky Sports News said a similar thing about Aston Villa, that there were players there who didn't respond well to be 'shouted at' as a managerial technique. Ranting and raving at players is so 70s there are other ways to motivate players you know, but that would take a good manager!

we brought aston villas rejects they came down and we are still down .we need a manager that praise the players when doing well but can give a kick up the ass when needed. im sick of hearing the players need motivating, what for the last 4 managers and the same players that love creaming the money week in week out and dont care if we win.there supose to be pros. theres more motivation in the academy than some show and it brings the the team down with them.

we need a decent caption who can get the players playing when times are hard

27 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Isn't there a program on Radio Derby just after the breakfast show more suited to the other two?

Just because they played in the Premiership, it doesn't mean they are all knowing, particularly on Derby County. Shearer will probably see us twice this year, Savage might take in the odd paid T.V game. So w.t.f does it matter to them other than attention seeking.

Shearer should be put out to pasture somewhere... His MOTD commentary is about as useful as some dude down the park on a Sunday morning...

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Darren Bent on Sky Sports News said a similar thing about Aston Villa, that there were players there who didn't respond well to be 'shouted at' as a managerial technique. Ranting and raving at players is so 70s there are other ways to motivate players you know, but that would take a good manager!

McClaren is a modern manager with old fashioned beliefs for me... And just what we need... Excellent coach, will encourage and not berate the players and wants to attack over defending... 

Too many modern managers like Clement take the 'Mourinho' approach that you set up to not lose... Then work to win from there...

Pearson is a proper old school 'people just need a good shouting at' manager...

I want my team to go out and try to win games every week... That's what we did under McClaren last time... And yeh, it's not gonna work every week... But for me it sets us in a better place long term than the boring but effective approach we saw under the wee angry Scot last time we went up...

13 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

McClaren is a modern manager with old fashioned beliefs for me... And just what we need... Excellent coach, will encourage and not berate the players and wants to attack over defending... 

Yep, you'd think with Mels willingness to spend cash of the Club's infrastructure that Mac should be able to get us up there where 'modern methods' are concerned. He's a great coach, now lets hope that the recruitment team are also up to scratch.

23 minutes ago, old tray boy said:

This really shows us the dire lack of good managers in this Country, we have re-hired a failure who could not deliver first time and showed lack of respect for the club and the fans. What a dissapointing saga.

nonsense.

Archived