Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ForeverARam said:

If you get the sack, we'll bring you back, it's the derby way ;P

Welcome to the forum.. You're right about Derby way bit though lol. 

Hello Schteve McClaren
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself
While those around you bawled
They crawled out of the woodwork
And they whispered into your brain
They sacked you before you walked
And now Geordies loath your name

And it seems to me you coached your team
Like a tufty in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the injuries set in
And I would liked to have known you
told you to replace George Thorne
Your defenders burned out long before
Your tufty ever did

Loneliness was tough
The toughest role you ever played
Jim Smith created a superstar
And pain was the price you paid
Failed England Qualified
Oh the press still hounded you
All the papers had to say
Wally with the brolly

And it seems to me you coached your team
Like a tufty in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the injuries set in
And I would liked to have known you
told you to replace George Thorne
Your defenders burned out long before
Your tufty ever did

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm going to write to Mel Morris and ask for employment on the recruitment team.

I didn't realise we had one? I thought Mel just sat at home with fifa running until he found a bloke on there he likes. Rumours are that mels fifa 17 broke and he had to go back to fifa 15 (back when mac was a good manager)

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Cloughie thought he was bigger than Derby, he ACTUALLY resigned and managed TWO RIVALS. So you're a hypocrite. I bet you're probably old enough to remember when he nearly came back, and I bet you wanted him to.

Thought that's where you were going but didn't want to spoil your preamble.

1. I'm not old enough. Born in the late 1970's. So you're wrong.

2. Even if I was, you certainly wouldn't have known what my feelings would have been. So you're wrong to assume anything.

3. Your comparison of Clough's resignation due to fallouts with Longson with McClaren's sacking because he couldn't decide whether to go to a bigger club, is frankly ridiculous. So much so, it barely merits pointing out the obvious differences. 

4. Don't call me a hypocrite when you clearly have no understanding what the word means.

Other than that, great post.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Why is that funny? If you don't ask in life, you don't get anything. I think I've got a pretty decent record on here when it comes to debating systems, shape, tactics and recruitment in general.

Because I find it so funny that you said you're going to write to Mel. He probably won't read anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why is that funny? If you don't ask in life, you don't get anything. I think I've got a pretty decent record on here when it comes to debating systems, shape, tactics and recruitment in general.

I know people who were refused entry into the Labour Party and the chance to vote on the basis of social media posts in the past. I think it's safe to say Uncle Mel would laugh you out of his office based upon your previous 9 months of scare-mongering and nay-saying, whilst slating decisions.

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Thought that's where you were going but didn't want to spoil your preamble.

1. I'm not old enough. Born in the late 1970's. So you're wrong.

2. Even if I was, you certainly wouldn't have known what my feelings would have been. So you're wrong to assume anything.

3. Your comparison of Clough's resignation due to fallouts with Longson with McClaren's sacking because he couldn't decide whether to go to a bigger club, is frankly ridiculous. So much so, it barely merits pointing out the obvious differences. 

4. Don't call me a hypocrite when you clearly have no understanding what the word means.

Other than that, great post.

points stand. You'd happily sack managers who don't perform but slam one for handling his flattery badly! You'd poach a manager or player from lesser clubs too no doubt. 

I do know you, your lot are all the same. giving it the blah blah blah and yah yah yah.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm going to write to Mel Morris and ask for employment on the recruitment team.

I think you would do well, anyone who has a list of 100s of players than Will Hughes must be worth a place on any recruitment team :blink:

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I know people who were refused entry into the Labour Party and the chance to vote on the basis of social media posts in the past. I think it's safe to say Uncle Mel would laugh you out of his office based upon your previous 9 months of scare-mongering and nay-saying, whilst slating decisions.

I don't think I've said anything particularly damning, and I don't think making predictions is classed as scare-mongering. Besides, this is a forum, hardly a source of great professionalism.

Mel, even if he ever did consider reading my intended application, could laugh me out of his office. But I'll never know unless I apply.

I could do similar work for another club, but I'd prefer to do it at a club I care about.

Not happy!

When we sacked Mclaren it was the right decision. We had been found out tactically and had no plan b. People say the injuries cost us but I remember Brentford home I'm sure he had Martin on the wing keogh right back and Dawkins cm all because he wanted to stick to his one trick that had 'worked' the year before. 

I was hoping Newcastle would take him and pay us compo but we ended up sacking him and paying him off! He then went to Newcastle and as I expected miserably failed. He got them relegated. It's no coincidence when rafa came in their form massively improved but by then the damage was done.

I'm worried. He will try play the same way but the likes of Hendrick, Dawkins, Ward and Martin have gone. Even if Martin did come back he's not what he once was so he wouldn't get us 20+.

I know I'm being negative and I know some of you will shoot me down but I'm concerned. I hope I look back at this post end of season and laugh at my self but my thoughts are not positive.

Time to listen to return of the mac and attempt to get positive!

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Mel might be any number of things, but he's not the Labour party!

(Apparently all you had to do was say "i want to vote for Owen Smith" on your form and BOOM, you got your vote)

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

points stand. You'd happily sack managers who don't perform but slam one for handling his flattery badly! You'd poach a manager or player from lesser clubs too no doubt. 

I do know you, your lot are all the same. giving it the blah blah blah and yah yah yah.

You're struggling. Where in my posting history have I ever advocated 'happily sacking' managers?

For your benefit, post (on page 18 of this thread) I made on Sunday before McClaren's return was a probability. Note the line in bold.

'When we hired McClaren, his stock was so low he was an assistant manager at QPR. Whilst I don't always buy into the idea of loyalty in football (we'd have driven him out very early had results not worked out), I did find his less than vehement rejection of Newcastle's interest very annoying in the circumstances. I'd argue that McClaren got much more out of Derby than we did out of him - yes, we saw some great football but this was off the back of Clough's team & McClaren didn't even stick around to see the job out - jumping straight to the Premiership ahead of us.

Quite apart from the fact that the circumstances are now much different to October 2013 (much higher expectations, different owner, bloated highly paid squad), I would be very unhappy to see McClaren given another chance here. He had his time & it wasn't enough to satisfy his ambitions. Why would it be different 3 years later?'

Archived