Return of the Mac

toddy

32 minutes ago, old tray boy said:

This really shows us the dire lack of good managers in this Country, we have re-hired a failure who could not deliver first time and showed lack of respect for the club and the fans. What a dissapointing saga.

Or we re-hired a guy who we should never have sacked... A guy who took a squad of players languishing in mid-table, added a few bargain buys and some loans and turned us into genuine contenders? Were it not for a difficult game at Wembley and an injury crisis in a very small squad he could have taken us up...

Depends which way you choose to look at it really... Half empty or half full?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yep, you'd think with Mels willingness to spend cash of the Club's infrastructure that Mac should be able to get us up there where 'modern methods' are concerned. He's a great coach, now lets hope that the recruitment team are also up to scratch.

I'd like to think McClaren can get the best out of the current squad... He doesn't have the depth issues we had before...

Check out that squad... Very little cover when we started getting injuries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Derby_County_F.C._season#Players

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Or we re-hired a guy who we should never have sacked... A guy who took a squad of players languishing in mid-table, added a few bargain buys and some loans and turned us into genuine contenders? Were it not for a difficult game at Wembley and an injury crisis in a very small squad he could have taken us up...

Depends which way you choose to look at it really... Half empty or half full?

I'd like to think McClaren can get the best out of the current squad... He doesn't have the depth issues we had before...

Check out that squad... Very little cover when we started getting injuries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Derby_County_F.C._season#Players

Loved the football under Mac - but let us not forget that cloughie had also got the team to deliver some really good away performances in the early part of the season as well (brighton 1-2, Yeovil 0-3, millwall 1-5) so clearly the potential was there.

I think it'll be a bit harder this time around in the very short term. Confidence is low, confusion and uncertainty you'd think would be high, given the recent instability and frequent changes in manager - and one presumes styles and tactics.

Last time around Mac got the best out of Martin, Keogh, Buxton, Russell, Bryson (at the beginning), Forsyth and possibly more. If he can really turn around Johnson, Blackman, Camara plus bring through a couple of young uns (Lowe, Rawson, Elsnik perhaps) then not only will we have a really exciting team that's at the right end of the table but he really will have earned the Freedom of Derby.

One note that bothers me is that the coaching team is being retained. Nothing against Zuberbuhler, although I don't think he's improved Carson but Phillips has not seemingly delivered good forward play. I would prefer to see a really strong defence coach as I think mac does the midfield and forwards perfectly well himself.

The shirt has been dusted off, the tyres pumped up and the South Hants roadriders are once more optimistically looking forward to some more productive awaydays:lol:

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Depends which way you choose to look at it really...

Don't be so bloody sensible!

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

there's a difference in 'having ambitions (to manage Newcastle)', and "wanting to leave"

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

which was?

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

nonsense.

Sometimes I look at folks who contribute, with valid well thought out opinions and then there are the others who set their stall out, just to criticise.

I could have quoted a bag full on this thread, each with a negative counter view.

The point is: there are a fair few of us that are sceptical of this being a good move; hopefully those that are, will be proved wrong. However, unless we re-write history the wheels fell off last time before the departure to Newcastle, not suggesting that this wasn't part of it, but seeing things through rose tinted glasses will not change what were glaring errors in the past.

It's another dose of groundhog day for me. Let's hope that lessons have been learnt.

2 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

However, unless we re-write history the wheels fell off last time before the departure to Newcastle...

It's another dose of groundhog day for me. Let's hope that lessons have been learnt.

It's not groundhog day because Mac wasn't given chance to deal with what went wrong (and potentially repeat things, or not). He's starting afresh, from a different situation.

Biggest challenge Mac's going to face is the fact that his previous spell couldn't have started much better, its unlikely to go as well early on.

From my experience of many fans, that may prove difficult for them to deal with.

22 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

One note that bothers me is that the coaching team is being retained. Nothing against Zuberbuhler, although I don't think he's improved Carson but Phillips has not seemingly delivered good forward play. I would prefer to see a really strong defence coach as I think mac does the midfield and forwards perfectly well himself.

Didn't he come in last season? And the forward play wasn't dreadful last season... Creating chances under Clement was the problem... And then we started scoring a bit more under Wass...

I'm choosing to blame Pearson rather than Phillips for the lack of goals... It's much more convenient as I quite like having Phillips around :D

Just now, SaintRam said:

Biggest challenge Mac's going to face is the fact that his previous spell couldn't have started much better, its unlikely to go as well early on.

From my experience of many fans, that may prove difficult for them to deal with.

Can you please start a poll to see what final league position fans would find acceptable enough to keep McClaren?

a) playoffs

b) 7th-10th

c) 11th-14th

d) 15th-18th

e) avoid relegation

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

Can you please start a poll to see what final league position fans would find acceptable enough to keep McClaren?

a) playoffs

b) 7th-10th

c) 11th-14th

d) 15th-18th

e) avoid relegation

Avoid relegation and actually score some goals is mine...

1 minute ago, unclej said:

Like that. Particularly:

McClaren said that he hoped to steer Derby towards promotion before leaving for a bigger club, ballsing it up, and returning to Pride Park in 2019.

Rams fan Nikki Sheridan said: “As the old saying goes, better the devil you know than Neil Warnock.”

did anyone else see that comment in the DET ?

It was always going to be Steve on a statistical basis .. see pattern below

The last managers of Derby have been since 2007 : Nigel, Steve, Paul, Nigel, and .... guess what :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not groundhog day because Mac wasn't given chance to deal with what went wrong

Surely that's because he was the cause of it?

I remember being at the match when the opposition had done their homework i.e. a man on the CDM, a man on the CF and split the CB's - job done. It was like watching a rabbit in the headlights. And that was on a per game basis. How many matches will it take to get to the same scenario?

Happy to see him back, he should have never been sacked in the first place.

My only concern is that the two main positions in McClarens 4-3-3 (ST and DM) are missing key players. Without Martin, Thorne and Eustace, his record here is quite shocking, though if I recall we were still scoring plenty but the back 5 were doing their best to lose every game! 

We will see, certainly an eerily situation to the last time he was appointed, hopefully it has the same effect. One thing is for certain he cant be any worse than Pearson.

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

a) playoffs

b) 7th-10th

c) 11th-14th

d) 15th-18th

e) avoid relegation

Surely he has to be judged on points per game?

Anything above 1.7ppg from here is more than acceptable, even it it means we'll only end up on around 70pts (7th-10th)

1.7ppg over the full 46 game season would give you 78pts for the season which is a play off place.

Archived