Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I was going to reply to this thread but then I remembered we've only played one league match under a new manager with a new system.

Maybe if this thread had have appeared at Christmas...

Spot on. 

I think a point against Brighton is good point.

I mean, look at Newcastle the night before at Fulham. The same Fulham side who had supposedly sold their best player a few days earlier.

13 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

I mean, look at Newcastle the night before at Fulham. The same Fulham side who had supposedly sold their best player a few days earlier.

I believe Benitez was quoted as saying that 'it was a wake up call'!?

49 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Baird was ok. He was hurt late on and managed it very well. Pearson wanted to use other subs and so Baird stayed on.

There were others who were worse than him.

Baird is a utility defender, thrown in at left back against a good team.

He used his experience on a number of occasions, not least when foiling Murray in the air- something Keogh failed to do all afternoon.

Let's not slag him off for not being able to sprint down the wing, too.

And let's face it. In the first have he had BJ in front of him and in the second, nobody in front of him.

I'm not sure which was more difficult.

Pearson is a long term appointment, and someone who has been tasked with overhauling a club that needs a bit of fixing.  I have every faith he can do that but it will take time.  

He's given everyone a blank canvas and not only do they deserve that but he has to see what we have and if the answers are within the squad before wasting more cash (which isn't endless.)  Okay his selection was a little odd but based on pre-season we could have called most of them had Forsyth and Weimann not been injured, and I think he maybe went for the most sensible replacements, Who knows the reasoning behind Hughes - maybe he's a Bryson fan and hoped that Hendrick would continue his summer form.

No harm done really, a draw against a team that finished above us last season isn't an awful result, bear in mind Newcastle lost and ground can easily be recovered on others over the remaining 98% of the season.  Performances will improve with confidence and fitness and I expect 3 weeks from now we'll have a tweaked squad, lineup and system ready to get us through to January and the next assessment whilst keeping in touch with the top few sides.

I'm not saying the 4 3 3 is the reason we haven't gone up but after 3 seasons of using it, we are still exactly where we are.

Some people including my own friends, seem to think that excellent maybe 9 - 12 months under Stevie Mac where the 4-3-3 worked wonders and we played some of the best football I've ever seen derby play, lasted a lot longer when in reality by about November of 14/15 we were really struggling to break teams down and play with any kind of real flow to our game. But they still talk as if we were ripping teams apart in march of last season.

Certainly last season I don't remember many games where we really clicked in the 4 3 3, we kinda of made our way to the top of the league efficiently, by being hard to break down rather than the likes of Russell, Ince, Martin etc being at the top of their game. 

I think the last time it worked to what we know it can do was actually the 5-0 against wolves almost 2 years ago. 

Derby aren't Barcelona, once teams figured out how we were going to play, we haven't had enough about us to trump their tactics and blow them out the water. It's time to try something different. People say 4 3 3 brings the best out of certain players, i'd actually argue that it was McClaren who actually for some time brought the best out of our players and since his demise we haven't consistently seen the best of certain players and now we are on to our third manager since Stevie Mac. You could even count Clough as being a fourth manager who couldn't bring out of some of the players what McClaren did, I certainly think the likes of Eustace, Buxton, Forsyth, Grant, Russell and Ward certainly improved a lot in that first season under Mac at least.

I honestly think Mac's play off final season has completely skewed many fans perspective of how we should be playing. That's why we have this constant booing, cheering players off, groaning even when a good move is put together and a player misses a chance, instead of appreciation of the idea or the move, people can't believe we haven't scored. 

Some people really need to get over the play off final season, yes the 4 3 3 worked amazingly well that season but it hasn't so much since, how many years are we going to keep saying the 4 3 3 brings the best out of our players? We are onto our third season now since then, still in 10 years, 20 years? It's time to try something different unless Pearson really can find whatever Mac found in 13/14 to get the team playing that way again. But I'm not so sure any manager will be able to replicate that exact style in 13/14 again.

Agree or disagree give the guy more than one game before you decide whether or not the team can adapt to a new formation. The players need to learn their new roles first. I don't think Pearson got everything right yesterday (personally would have played russell over Johnson) but at least he's trying something out. I seem to recall a lot of people moaning that the 4 3 3 didnt work and we never had a plan b.

First 10 - 15 mins, I thought Blackman looked a revitalised player, he had more energy and confidence, as did Bent. We missed a couple of chances, bent header and ince shot and all of a sudden Brighton came on strong and took control of the game. We may only see a further 2 - 3 teams come to the Ipro this season and be as good as Brighton are, so lets just get behind the team and wait and see where Pearson takes us.

UTR

Am I right on thinking that Pearson coming to Derby was a fait accompli long before he was announced as Derby manager if this was the case then why is he still trying to find out which players are adequate or not surely being on gardening leave would give him ample opportunity to view footage of our previous games.  Mourinho had already made informed decisions about his playing staff long before he arrived looking at the reports of him already telling players they have no future at Man Utd we seem to have missed a trick given our lack of transfer activity this summer.

15 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I expected this thread from some members on here but from someone who seems to know his football ? Come on @Bris Vegas ! Really ? Let's give it at least 10 games ! 

Riddings, Bris has recent form for scare-mongering, but don't worry, he couldn't predict Christmas was coming if it was 24th December! He was adamant we had blown a play-off place with 10 games to go last season, he might've said we wouldn't finish in the top 8, but I may be wrong.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You have systems to get the best out of the players at your disposal. You only have to look at our squad and realise we don't have the players to successfully play 442, and that 433 is by far and away our best system.

I'm sure our players can play in a 442, 352, 622, 541 - but such systems restrict players.

Why would you remove Martin's best attributes, Bryson's energy in the final third, Hughes' playmaking ability in the middle and Russell's pace and directness on the wing for Bent, and out of position Blackman and a two-man midfield which doesn't suit any of our current midfielders.

Simple, those things aren't successful frequently enough. Those players may not have performed in pre-season well enough, and ultimately, those players are part of the 'choke' that's happened in recent seasons.

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Am I right on thinking that Pearson coming to Derby was a fait accompli long before he was announced as Derby manager if this was the case then why is he still trying to find out which players are adequate or not surely being on gardening leave would give him ample opportunity to view footage of our previous games.  Mourinho had already made informed decisions about his playing staff long before he arrived looking at the reports of him already telling players they have no future at Man Utd we seem to have missed a trick given our lack of transfer activity this summer.

No

@Inglorius maybe he came in with a "clean slate" attitude and wanted to see how the players got on with his tactics in pre season and based the team on that? Bent scored 3 in 3, Blackman had a good pre season, Hendrick had a good euros, Baird was the only available left back without risking an untested Lowe, Johnson must look class in training and was most effective out on the left for Norwich.

He was always going to change from 433 and for everyone complaining has that formation achieved us promotion for the last 3 seasons? And we've all seen what happens with that formation without Thorne, as mentioned on radio Derby yesterday we'd of lost that game last season when we were under pressure and playing a 433 without Thorne in that role.

Lets give him a few more games before harsh judgment.

Nobody expects things to have clicked just 1 compettive game of a new managerial reign, but they do expect to see little shoots of hope, small areas of improvement, a definitive plan for the future, where we're going and how we're going to achieve it.

A mentality change is needed, possibly an overhaul, but with it should come some fresh ideas. All we've seen so far is a re-hash of old ideas.

23 minutes ago, YouRams said:

@Inglorius maybe he came in with a "clean slate" attitude and wanted to see how the players got on with his tactics in pre season and based the team on that? Bent scored 3 in 3, Blackman had a good pre season, Hendrick had a good euros, Baird was the only available left back without risking an untested Lowe, Johnson must look class in training and was most effective out on the left for Norwich.

He was always going to change from 433 and for everyone complaining has that formation achieved us promotion for the last 3 seasons? And we've all seen what happens with that formation without Thorne, as mentioned on radio Derby yesterday we'd of lost that game last season when we were under pressure and playing a 433 without Thorne in that role.

Lets give him a few more games before harsh judgment.

Whilst it is natural to give everyone a clean slate, it only really benefits those whose previous performances, work rate or attitude were poor last season.

Those who have worked hard and performed well over the last three seasons could view this as having their previous  contributions wiped from the records too.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Whilst it is natural to give everyone a clean slate, it only really benefits those whose previous performances, work rate or attitude were poor last season.

Those who have worked hard and performed well over the last three seasons could view this as having their previous  contributions wiped from the records too.

I get your point but as NP said before the game he's not picking his team on reputation, and the ones he upsets need to show character in earning their place back.

And although they have worked hard and we've seen the best football in +10 years they still didn't achieve the goal of promotion. 

50 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Nobody expects things to have clicked just 1 compettive game of a new managerial reign, but they do expect to see little shoots of hope, small areas of improvement, a definitive plan for the future, where we're going and how we're going to achieve it.

A mentality change is needed, possibly an overhaul, but with it should come some fresh ideas. All we've seen so far is a re-hash of old ideas.

Have you not been reading other threads and comments? I'd say quite a few people were expecting this! Don't think they were right to, but they were expecting it nonetheless.

To be fair, your comment belies a little bit of this expectation to. Surely logic dictates you have to give it at least 10 games or so to ascertain any kind of idea of the ideas of the manager, the success of those ideas and so and so forth. It's not even as if he was able to pick the 11 he wanted to yesterday which makes it even more bonkers to judge. 

I suppose compared to those people who were writing us off after the Benfica match, waiting until the first 90 mins is up is the epitome of showing patience.

6 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Have you not been reading other threads and comments? I'd say quite a few people were expecting this! Don't think they were right to, but they were expecting it nonetheless.

To be fair, your comment belies a little bit of this expectation to. Surely logic dictates you have to give it at least 10 games or so to ascertain any kind of idea of the ideas of the manager, the success of those ideas and so and so forth. It's not even as if he was able to pick the 11 he wanted to yesterday which makes it even more bonkers to judge. 

I suppose compared to those people who were writing us off after the Benfica match, waiting until the first 90 mins is up is the epitome of showing patience.

First 90?

The North Stand was half-empty after 80.

8 minutes ago, LazloW said:

There are only so many comments on here I can stand to read, this forum has a habit of raising the blood pressure with the sheer                  disagreeability               of some of the views expressed!

I'm happy for us to take our time in making the neccessary changes, but early signs still warrant discussion, and gut-feelings cannot fail to be felt.

I will add that as a none football hipster I quite like the 442, it provides a solid base to work on and if you get the personnel right it can be devastating. 

I believe the only personnel were lacking are an out and out winger or 2 to provide natural width as that is where the usefulness of the 442 comes in. Pacey striker on the shoulder ready to break or down the two wings. 

Archived