Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

5 minutes ago, Cisse said:

ManU and Barcelona do have kind of different players that hundreds of other clubs. I wouldn't compare Barca with regular teams from Championship or Eredivision or such. And I'm pretty sure players at Barca can play different styles if demanded by their manager.

When Bournmouth and WAtford went up two seasons ago they stuck to one system throught the entire season. So did Burnley and Middlesbrough last season. It's silly to suggest you need players to be able to play different formtions and systems to be successful, when in recent years every team that has been successful in this league has simply played one system throughout the season with the players that suit it.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we need some perspective. It's the first game of the season, in the last 20 years I can count on one hand when we've played well on opening day. Pearson is changing the way we play which will take time, and will upset people including me who loved the 4-3-3 and is a huge Martin fan. Fact is the recent teams to have been promoted have been 4-4-2 or a variant of. Pearson has been brought in to take us to the next level and he will do as he sees fit to ensure that happens and won't care who he upsets in the process. Hopefully he will get it right, however I am concerned about Hughes, best player in championship by a mile, yet not sure he fits with how Pearson wants to play and looked lost when he came on playing wide. He needs to be playing in the Prem.

Disagree with some people on here about Blackman. Thought he was a major positive today. Him and shackell stood out for me. As for Johnson, poor reaction from the fans...but he was awful!

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Think we need some perspective. It's the first game of the season, in the last 20 years I can count on one hand when we've played well on opening day. Pearson is changing the way we play which will take time, and will upset people including me who loved the 4-3-3 and is a huge Martin fan. Fact is the recent teams to have been promoted have been 4-4-2 or a variant of. Pearson has been brought in to take us to the next level and he will do as he sees fit to ensure that happens and won't care who he upsets in the process. Hopefully he will get it right, however I am concerned about Hughes, best player in championship by a mile, yet not sure he fits with how Pearson wants to play and looked lost when he came on playing wide. He needs to be playing in the Prem.

Disagree with some people on here about Blackman. Thought he was a major positive today. Him and shackell stood out for me. As for Johnson, poor reaction from the fans...but he was awful!

completely agree.

Let's just resort back to 4-3-3 because of one game against a good side...clearly the  4-3-3 hasn't worked, we never got promoted, we just need a few wingers, let's play 4-3-3 with no Thorne? He never plays more than 10 games 

Leicester fan in peace

He needs time, he transformed the culture and expectations at Leicester but it took two attempts and several seasons. Make no mistake he set the tone for our recent successes. That said he is headstrong and can play people bizarrely out of position but on the flip side he can also identify and bring in players to do a specific job at a crucial time in the project eg Lloyd Dyer

He is exceptionally poor with the media and his public utterances are defensive and banal but he is loved by his players and staff. He will bring in players who are honest and buy into his thinking and will get rid of a lot of players you might think of as crucial but my advice is to trust him. He will modernise and demand the best training facilities for the players. 

My only worry for you is that he worked best as a package with Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh who identified potential signings and he does not have them at Derby. 

judge him after two seasons, come and join us :-)

Whichever way you look at it, if NP gets us promotion this season it will be an outstanding achievement. The Championship, this season, boasts the 'best' set of experienced managers ever, Whichever three teams get promoted, good luck to them and let us hope that it includes DCFC.

Agree fully that we have a squad loaded up to play 4-3-3. Felt at times like square pegs in round holes. A managers job to work out best system with players at his disposal.

A straight 442 just wont work.

4411 likwise

442 diamond. This will only work with fozzy/ ollson and cyrus playing.

As an aside anyone else feel that Johnsons confidence will be so low he'll be highly unlikely to be seen in a rams shirt anytime soon

I see the OP's POV but agree with the Leicester poster above. I think it's forgotten what a mess Leicester had turned into upon Pearson's second coming, maybe he might disagree but Sven brought in a lot of overpriced players & Pearson ripped things up & began again, though he was fortunate in one respect in that he knew the club already, players like Andy King but NP had to build a new centre-half pairing as he got rid of Mills & Bamba.. He was also given time & had near misses.

The thing is, many of us wanted a strong manager in, & we have to let NP get on & do his things his way. There's a choice, either we let NP get on with it which might  mean quite a bit of change, or get the worst of both worlds, expecting a manager who wants to play in a certain way to deploy players who are more comfortable in another system.

The sentimental part of me does not want to see the likes of Johnny Russell leave. The more pragmatic side thinks that maybe it's time to part with certain players (Chris Martin)  & move into another direction.

The question is, do you want to give NP time to do things his way, which might mean a good two seasons or put your faith in this squad? One has proven managerial success, of getting a club up: the Rams squad 2-3 seasons of continual failure/near misses, underachievement & a reputation for bottling it.

In other words, if we sell the likes of Hendrick for the right price so Nigel Pearson can bring in his own personnel, I will back him. I think Will Hughes is a wonderful talent but maybe now's the time to let him progress so that we can progress as well. We practically built our team around Will but some back luck, like Thorne's injury  & then Will's own long injury lay-off, have also hampered progress.

As for Johnson, RE; other thread, I think he reminds of Craig Burley, another over-priced player who always gave off the attitude that he never wanted to leave Celtic, just as I get the impression BJ has never settled here & wanted to leave Norwich.

A useful point today

On Brighton: as an armchair fan, frustrated as the next person but this was a side who were very close to automatic promotion. I listened to 5live commentary on Burnley (later champions) v Brighton at Turf Moor & Brighton nullified them in the same way that they dominated 2nd half so that the home side had to settle for a point in a high stakes game.

I think NP would have rather had an easier start than a Brighton side who only lost twice last season on the road. It might look a good point end of season, & sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition. I like NP, he is honest & understand his comment about making sure you don't lose if you can't win. Look at Newcastle, they were expected to blow Fulham away & lost.

As for support staff, I think Chris Powell an excellent No.2 as he's been a manager himself. We do need to re-evaluate how we scout & buy players.

Another Leicester fan in peace and I'll echo everything NIFox said above.

From what I've seen you have all the facilities of a Premier League club in place, that's something he had to build at Leicester. I honestly expect him to get you promoted.

Having said that he can be incredibly frustrating. With regards to players if you don't see it his way and do things his way you're out of the picture. In his final season with us Mahrez was in and out of the side because he didn't track back to defend. Vardy was on the bench or on the wing. Albrighton just didn't see eye to eye with him and wasn't getting a look in at all until we pulled off the great escape. They got cut loose last season and the rest is history.

There were a couple of horror runs in his time where we couldn't buy a win, certain players appeared undroppabble regardless of form and his formations changed from week to week. Every week substitutions were made on the 65th minute regardless of how poor we were playing. Incredibly frustrating.

He appears abrasive but those who work with him say he's far from it, but if you're not on his side you'll know about it.

Grateful for everything he did at Leicester but by the time he left he was like Marmite, loved and loathed in equal measures.

Good luck with this season.

Archived