Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

What comes first,  a system or a formation? I presume the former? 

I think pearson assumed we had the system basically there and hence he made his " tweaking " comments in his early press conference. 

Now he's working with the players he's possibly finding that our "system" has been built around a series of combinations of players and if you start breaking those combinations apart everything breaks down. So if he's now starting to think that the system needs more work then that will be a bigger and longer job. 

I enjoyed @Alpha's analysis of the difference between formations and systems. Lots of valid points I think. For example we've played a back 4 for years. But each of the last few seasons has seen them used differently. 

Interesting times.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people are panicking a bit too much worried about massive upheaval ,,, take Thorne for instance ,do we really believe he can't do a fantastic job in the centre of midfield with Hughes and two good wingers ( already said somewhere if we add two quality wingers to the squad we have real versatility and options) ,,, Pearson wants us fit , solid and hard to beat first off but that's the base to build from ,, he is no wee billy,, he is no clement with slow build up keep the ball at all costs mentality ,,, he will want us moving the ball quick when we win it ,,, you only have to look at what they did to us at our best in their promotion season ,, he did not send out a team to park the bus and bore us into submission ,,, they ripped us a new one in style ,,, don't worry folks he will get it right and Mel will back him it's just they ain't gonna spunk loads with a scattergun aproach and if that's the major change of direction that Mel has taken from last season then I'm happy with that

2 hours ago, archied said:

I think people are panicking a bit too much worried about massive upheaval ,,, take Thorne for instance ,do we really believe he can't do a fantastic job in the centre of midfield with Hughes and two good wingers ( already said somewhere if we add two quality wingers to the squad we have real versatility and options) ,,, Pearson wants us fit , solid and hard to beat first off but that's the base to build from ,, he is no wee billy,, he is no clement with slow build up keep the ball at all costs mentality ,,, he will want us moving the ball quick when we win it ,,, you only have to look at what they did to us at our best in their promotion season ,, he did not send out a team to park the bus and bore us into submission ,,, they ripped us a new one in style ,,, don't worry folks he will get it right and Mel will back him it's just they ain't gonna spunk loads with a scattergun aproach and if that's the major change of direction that Mel has taken from last season then I'm happy with that

The only concern I have is that Mel has clearly wasted his money on 2 managers and their backroom staff, when it became apparent that 90% of the callers to last night's "moan-in" have significantly more footballing knowledge than those he has employed, especially with regards to team selection, playing formations etc. 

God help Pearson when this unbeaten run we are on comes to an abrupt end, the mass wrist-slashing and lemming-esque jumping from Derby's highest buildings will be catastrophic....... 

1 minute ago, Zurich Ram said:

The only concern I have is that Mel has clearly wasted his money on 2 managers and their backroom staff, when it became apparent that 90% of the callers to last night's "moan-in" have significantly more footballing knowledge than those he has employed, especially with regards to team selection, playing formations etc. 

God help Pearson when this unbeaten run we are on comes to an abrupt end, the mass wrist-slashing and lemming-esque jumping from Derby's highest buildings will be catastrophic....... 

Perhaps if a tall building was provided for these fans to dive off dramatically we'd be able to balance the ratio of

supporters : naggers

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeh, so....Why Mel, why?

I look forward to the mad panic buys over the next two weeks.

I look forward to long overdue sales , we have seen plenty of these gutless performances in 433 in fact we could play 4/4/4 at times and still be outfought ,out battled and embarrassed 

Run down of 4-3-3:

Inconsistent at best under Wassall, and when we lost we REALLY lost.

Had little to no attacking threat under Clement for 80% of the time.

Proved under late McClaren tenure that it was entirely reliant on a couple of players and we looked disjointed and mad for half a season.

It was good a year and a half to two and a half years ago though, I'll give you that.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned these players (those infront of the defense, which has always been fairly good) are coming close to the end of the tether that that good year under McClaren bought them. They need to start performing. Not showing the fluidity and knowledge of a system similar to that time under McClaren, thats not what I mean. That will take time. But when they're racing for a 50/50, winning the ******* race. Or winning the aerial battle. Having shots on target that don't go straight at the keeper. Putting a cross in that doesn't hit ol' Florence in the stands.

Fed up of all the tactical geniuses bailing these players out of their shitty basics by complaining that they're not being played exactly how they think they should be, based on what they did well 2 years ago. 

I'm not saying we need to change the squad either, far from it. I love Martin, Ince, Hughes, Russell and all of the lads. I think they're great and I've absolutely loved watching them for a few years. But they need to start taking far more of the blame than they're receiving for their own ***** performances. 

Just now, reveldevil said:

Perfectly fair and reasonable post match interview from Pearson, he's not one to panic for sure.

Batted away the formation question nicely.

I like him personally, just needs time.

So what was at fault then did he say?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

So what was at fault then did he say?

Took responsibility himself as the manager, as you'd expect.

He thinks it's a mental thing with some players, and they need to work together as a group to regain individual form.

The formation thing he poo-poo'd, saying it was a mixture of different formations today, regardless of formation it wouldn't have made a difference.

Really came across as cool and calm, and with a long term plan to sort it.

That's my opinion obviously, someone else may have taken something different from it.

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

He thinks it's a mental thing with some players, and they need to work together as a group to regain individual form.

The formation thing he poo-poo'd, saying it was a mixture of different formations today, regardless of formation it wouldn't have made a difference.

Those two paras do not follow. In the 1st you say NP took responsibility, in the 2nd you say NP says its down to the players.

11 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Really came across as cool and calm, and with a long term plan to sort it.

That's my opinion obviously, someone else may have taken something different from it.

What I thought.

His interviews, that I have listened to, have been very good, can't fault them just need the performances on the pitch to match now.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Those two paras do not follow. In the 1st you say NP took responsibility, in the 2nd you say NP says its down to the players.

The first is him accepting responsibility as the manager for the teams performance.

The 2nd is him offering a reason why that should be, and how the whole squad including the management team could rectify it.

A completely different thing than apportioning blame.

26 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The first is him accepting responsibility as the manager for the teams performance.

The 2nd is him offering a reason why that should be, and how the whole squad including the management team could rectify it.

A completely different thing than apportioning blame.

I expect NP to sort out the players 'mental problems' - he should get in sports psych or whatever. If he's aware of it then he needs to sort it and for the moment work around it. He seems to have done neither.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I expect NP to sort out the players 'mental problems' - he should get in sports psych or whatever. If he's aware of it then he needs to sort it and for the moment work around it. He seems to have done neither.

Confidence is a funny thing though, I'd be amazed if a players mental state wasn't something he was looking to address in the right way.

It's not so easy as one session with a shrink, and you're better.

Issues around our players 'mental state' are nothing new. For me we have been weak mentally for at least a couple of years now. Many cannot cope with expectation and collectively we seem unable to deal with and overcome adversity. When under pressure our decision making and play suffers - we seem to lack 'true leaders' or a genuine team spirit to drag each other out of the mire. Many of our players are too quick to point the finger at each other often in public. NP cannot eradicate or sort this overnight & I for one am happy to see him take as long as he needs & do whatever he thinks is necessary to instill this mental toughness back into the team.

1 hour ago, Cool As Custard said:

Issues around our players 'mental state' are nothing new. For me we have been weak mentally for at least a couple of years now. Many cannot cope with expectation and collectively we seem unable to deal with and overcome adversity. When under pressure our decision making and play suffers - we seem to lack 'true leaders' or a genuine team spirit to drag each other out of the mire. Many of our players are too quick to point the finger at each other often in public. NP cannot eradicate or sort this overnight & I for one am happy to see him take as long as he needs & do whatever he thinks is necessary to instill this mental toughness back into the team.

Maybe we have one or two bad apples like newcastle... Other than the obvious issues with mike ashley why are newcastle always rubbish no matter who is in charge? Its been said in the past they have a few players that dont pull their weight and are bad apples in the dressing room 

although ive seen nothing of the sort from any of our players are we the same as newcastle ? 

I still believe man for man in each position we have some of the best players in the league 

Archived