Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

Pearson wanted the job last season, which I think became quite common knowledge. Mel certainly hinted at just that when we went the meet and greet. It was at the same meet and greet that he really emphasised the need for a head coach and not a manager, though. I guess this is why the appointment was made much, much later. 

I'd guess that Mel had a change of heart; instead of trying to impose his own football philosophy on to the club, he brought someone in with a different ideology to his own that he could just back. 

I still find it beyond mental that we've planned to go 4-4-1-1 and we don't have natural wingers. Today we went with a centre forward on the right and a central midfielder on the left. I know both HAVE played there in the past, but it's ridiculous that a club of our resources has resorted to this. Will Hughes being on the bench is almost unforgivable, too. At least we have Mel at hand to stop any potential quick sale. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, Livid, what manager doesn't make decisions that aren't questionable at times, they're human with human flaws (stubbornness) & make mistakes. I think the signing of Kante transformed your team, helping to take the burden off other players. Confidence plays a part,too, belief spreading through the team.  Enjoy the dream/Champions League.

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Will Hughes being on the bench is almost unforgivable, too. At least we have Mel at hand to stop any potential quick sale. 

The thing is, why on earth is Hughes going to stay here if he's on the bench? I get the impression he's been happy staying here playing every week, rather than go to a big club and rot in the reserves, but if he's not playing here, then why would he stay?  If he doesn't start in the next few league games, I wouldn't be surprised to see him forcing a move through before September.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is, why on earth is Hughes going to stay here if he's on the bench? I get the impression he's been happy staying here playing every week, rather than go to a big club and rot in the reserves, but if he's not playing here, then why would he stay?  If he doesn't start in the next few league games, I wouldn't be surprised to see him forcing a move through before September.

I seriously doubt he'll rot in the reserves of any premier league team outside the top six.

Just now, Gritters said:

I seriously doubt he'll rot in the reserves of any premier league team outside the top six.

Not now maybe, but that would have certainly been a worry earlier in his career. He stayed here because he was playing every week. If he's not being picked here, he'll be off.

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

Did Blackman, Bent & Johnson pull their weight v Brighton? Utter mediocre

No but Bent knocked some in pre season. I didn't watch much pre season but I suspect that in NP eyes the players he played today got their place on merit not reputation like he said in the post match interview. I agree with this principle for a new manager while he is still finding his best team. This is why we shouldn't judge just yet. Pre season friendlies aren't really a good scope. Liverpool v Barcelona today for example. Hughes on the bench just reinforced what the majority of us were saying before the match. I suspect NP won't make that mistake again.

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Not now maybe, but that would have certainly been a worry earlier in his career. He stayed here because he was playing every week. If he's not being picked here, he'll be off.

I think he'll get picked if he is playing to his potential. I think I'd take pre season steady after the once career threatening injury he suffered on the opening game last season. If we ain't selling Hendrick, Hughes isn't going.

18 minutes ago, Gritters said:

No but Bent knocked some in pre season. I didn't watch much pre season but I suspect that in NP eyes the players he played today got their place on merit not reputation like he said in the post match interview. I agree with this principle for a new manager while he is still finding his best team. This is why we shouldn't judge just yet. Pre season friendlies aren't really a good scope. Liverpool v Barcelona today for example. Hughes on the bench just reinforced what the majority of us were saying before the match. I suspect NP won't make that mistake again.

I just hope NP can see the blinding obvious, even Clement could. How Blackman can get the nod over Hughes or Russell is frightening.

6 hours ago, CastletonRam said:

Ours clearly are. Martin is useless unless he's the lone striker in a 4-3-3. Defence can't take the heat unless Thorne is screening etc. Clement tried changing it and reverted back to 4-3-3 after 7 games and clear from today they don't work in a 4-4-2. 

Defence can't take the heat without Thorne except against a top, top side who we kept a clean sheet against this weekend?

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm not knocking the manager as I believe he's a top coach despite clearly being a bit loose upstairs, but I don't understand why we have appointed him taking everything in to consideration.

Nigel Pearson plays a variation of 4-4-2, be it 4-4-1-1 or something of that ilk. He did it at Southampton, Leicester City, Hull City and later at Leicester again - and each time he enjoyed some success or other.

But we don't have the personnel to play this formation. That is so evident, and Mel Morris spoke before about creating an identity or system at the club whereby managers can come and go but the style will remain.

Southampton and Swansea City have both followed this route, and done so with great success.

Why have we appointed a 4-4-2 man when we have pretty much built a squad for 4-3-3 over the past few years? You can't argue it doesn't work, only injuries and a lack of application has prevented us.

If we are going to move away from the 4-3-3 and work towards Pearson's preferred system, then why haven't we made a single move in the transfer market which would at least give the guy a better chance?

Pearson's starting eleven today suggested he has tried to work best with what he has, but it was poor. I'm sorry but if Bent, Blackman and Johnson is the best we have in a 4-4-2 then we're going to struggle to make the top six this year!

I was struggling to see what the hell we tried to do 12 months ago and openly criticised our recruitment team, but this summer it has arguably been even more baffling. Who has been behind these decisions? They're nonsensical IMO.

I'd argue exactly that. 433 patently hasn't worked because we haven't been promoted. It has become a system that other teams have worked out how to counter. There is no chance that we could be promoted playing 433, so it has to change. Pearson will impose his own system, but its going to take time. 

We've played one game against a side that last season was arguably the best side outside the top two. A 0-0 isnt a bad result, we kept a clean sheet and opening day games are always cagy affairs... The seasons not won or lost after one game

42 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

We've played one game against a side that last season was arguably the best side outside the top two. A 0-0 isnt a bad result, we kept a clean sheet and opening day games are always cagy affairs... The seasons not won or lost after one game

I know... All this introspection after one game, against a decent side, where we didn't lose and didn't concede (not that you'd know it from the discussion but we actually created a decent chance or two playing in this 'impossible formation').  

Mind you, the OP got what he wanted... 10 pages of discussion arguing about his opinion (or, as he likes to think of his opinion, his 'facts').

9 hours ago, TonyPulisOUT said:

To be honest, Livid, what manager doesn't make decisions that aren't questionable at times, they're human with human flaws (stubbornness) & make mistakes. I think the signing of Kante transformed your team, helping to take the burden off other players. Confidence plays a part,too, belief spreading through the team.  Enjoy the dream/Champions League.

Nice name, may I ask why you chose that username?

All I'll say because this thread heading is a farce,  is that although I disagree with not starting Hughes or even giving the Max man a go ahead of Baird, I thought we came out of the gates flying (that's Pearson influence). When it went stale NP made really good changes. Hughes in, He went diamond and we looked way better. Fozzy would have helped yesterday because in providing wing back action (Baird is utterly awful), our centre mids can do what they can do. Brighton controlled the middle yesterday. We are seeing a tough Derby team evolve into a winning Derby team, as he picks and shapes and that's why he's there. 

Mel and Sam knew what they were getting with Pearson well at least I hope they did a manager who primarily likes 4-4-2  

A manager is only as good as his coaching staff and back room staff and at the Foxes he had Walsh and Shakespeare .

Walsh has gone to Everton and Shakespeare is still at Leicester but will help England. 

Derby have Powell and Idiakez and Phillips etc 

Pearson will need good advise to curb him somewhat as well as performing a good job himself. 

Archived