Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

Funnily, I've still got high hopes that Camara can fulfil a left wing role, if we're talking 442. Maybe Ince or Russell can provide a right wing berth? That leaves a hell of a lot of midfielders fighting for the 2 centre-mid positions. Martin and a fast guy (Wells?) upfront???

It seems a shame that after 3 years of mainly fantastic attacking football playing 433 we are going to change to a duller style to try and get promotion nailed on, I'm of the opinion that tweeks were needed not a complete overhaul, anyhoo in NP we trust, for now.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Funnily, I've still got high hopes that Camara can fulfil a left wing role, if we're talking 442. Maybe Ince or Russell can provide a right wing berth? That leaves a hell of a lot of midfielders fighting for the 2 centre-mid positions. Martin and a fast guy (Wells?) upfront???

It seems a shame that after 3 years of mainly fantastic attacking football playing 433 we are going to change to a duller style to try and get promotion nailed on, I'm of the opinion that tweeks were needed not a complete overhaul, anyhoo in NP we trust, for now.

Everyone thought this, not only thought this but knew this.

One fear for brining pearson in was he would completely change everything to suit what works for him in the past. The best managers dont need to do this. My reservations about bringing him in are now being confirmed :(

Mel is going to loose a lot of money backing this stubborn fool.

what you fail (or refuse) to acknowledge @Bris Vegas is that we were playing a team that is better than us, with a more settled squad and a manager who has been in the role for a coupla years. 

Name a manager that gets the team playing in his image instantly. For every 1 you name, I'll name you a hundred that do nothing for a dozen games! You love Guardiola, I cannot wait for your excuses when he tries to play the Barcelona way with Man City players and it looks dogsjit for 2 months!

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what you fail (or refuse) to acknowledge @Bris Vegas is that we were playing a team that is better than us, with a more settled squad and a manager who has been in the role for a coupla years. 

Name a manager that gets the team playing in his image instantly. For every 1 you name, I'll name you a hundred that do nothing for a dozen games! You love Guardiola, I cannot wait for your excuses when he tries to play the Barcelona way with Man City players and it looks dogsjit for 2 months!

Isn't that the point? NP trying to play his way when we're used to our way

11 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Isn't that the point? NP trying to play his way when we're used to our way

yes, and his way will take time to become the norm. It will take time for the new habits to settle. It's far too soon to say it's the wrong system, and it's nonsense to say the players are incapable of succeeding within it.

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

yes, and his way will take time to become the norm. It will take time for the new habits to settle. It's far too soon to say it's the wrong system, and it's nonsense to say the players are incapable of succeeding within it.

And wasn't Mel's idea to have managers who share similar philosophies to make transitions between bosses as seemless as possible?

13 minutes ago, cannable said:

And wasn't Mel's idea to have managers who share similar philosophies to make transitions between bosses as seemless as possible?

you'll have to speak to Mel about that.

I'd suggest the backlash of Wassall getting the job ruined that.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

you'll have to speak to Mel about that.

I'd suggest the backlash of Wassall getting the job ruined that.

Which is a shame and why a fair few people who bought in to Mel's vision are questioning this appointment.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Which is a shame and why a fair few people who bought in to Mel's vision are questioning this appointment.

If you listen to Mel and Sam during the press conference announcing Nigel Pearson they pretty much admit that what they tried with Clement didn't work and they said this time last year with the appointment of Clement has been torn up.

Wouldn't surprise me if the whole Derby Way philosophy has been consigned to the bin. 

Time to draw up the shortlist for the new manager,,, ,, he must be someone who sets his teams up 4/3/3 as we are incapable of playing anything else and we are incapable of change , either that or he must have a magic wand and crystal ball to clear out all the players he don't need and get the ones in we do need to be instantly unbeatable and stunning to watch , either that or someone at the club needs to set up all these player ready for him ,,, really we are a couple of proper quality wingers away from a squad of real quality able to set up in lots of ways with a multitude of options ,,,,,,, get a grip people

2 hours ago, philmycock said:

Are you sure that Camara actually exists?

Perhaps he is a figment of our collective imaginations, like Michael Jacobs or a caring conservative.

9 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

If you listen to Mel and Sam during the press conference announcing Nigel Pearson they pretty much admit that what they tried with Clement didn't work and they said this time last year with the appointment of Clement has been torn up.

Wouldn't surprise me if the whole Derby Way philosophy has been consigned to the bin. 

That would be a massive shame. We were trying to emulate Swansea and Southampton. But no, people couldn't see what he was trying to do in the long term, he "didn't want promotion" apparently. 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

That would be a massive shame. We were trying to emulate Swansea and Southampton. But no, people couldn't see what he was trying to do in the long term, he "didn't want promotion" apparently. 

People are quick to forget Southampton and Swansea had money in a time when clubs around them didn't have so much. With the money floating about now you get out of this league however you can because it's only going to get more difficult, look at the type of players the likes of Boro are signing. Teams are going to be coming down with very talented players and cash in the bank. I'm glad the "Derby way" has been scrapped I want us out of this league. 

15 minutes ago, YouRams said:

People are quick to forget Southampton and Swansea had money in a time when clubs around them didn't have so much. With the money floating about now you get out of this league however you can because it's only going to get more difficult, look at the type of players the likes of Boro are signing. Teams are going to be coming down with very talented players and cash in the bank. I'm glad the "Derby way" has been scrapped I want us out of this league. 

really? remind me how much money both teams spent getting promoted! 

I think you'll be very surprised.

59 minutes ago, cannable said:

Genuine question, as I don't really get this modern obsession with formations - can you have a similar philosophy with a different formation? 

When I've watched the under 21s last season they seemed to play a different formation or at least style to the first team. Also, I seem to recall Pearson's Leicester playing some lovely football the season they got promotion from the Championship.  

So, maybe we can still have that philosophy while finding a more winning formation? Yes? No?

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Manchester City bought a Pep player (Gundogan) before Guardiola even walked through the doors at the Etihad Stadium.

Who have Derby signed which fits Pearson's mentality and system? You can't honestly believe they planned to play the first game of the season with cental midfielder on LW and a striker on RW and with Darren Bent as CF.

Why have we wasted an entire pre-season twiddling our thumbs when it was so blinding obvious we needed to make big changes? 

I wouldn't mind us looking dogsjit for two months with Pearson getting to grips with his new team and his new players. What I don't accept is us looking dogsjit for two months using the same exact players who evidently don't suit Pearson's preferred system.

It's simple really. Either play 433 which gets the best out of the current crop of players, or play 442 with new players who actually look comfortable playing that systems. 

Playing 442 with our current squad is frankly utterly ridiculous.

And as for Brighton being better than us... Why are they better than us? Two years ago we demolished them in the playoffs... We've spent £30 million on new players since then and line-up against them two years later with half the team out of position and now in a mad scramble to buy even more players.

It's embarrassing.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Genuine question, as I don't really get this modern obsession with formations - can you have a similar philosophy with a different formation? 

When I've watched the under 21s last season they seemed to play a different formation or at least style to the first team. Also, I seem to recall Pearson's Leicester playing some lovely football the season they got promotion from the Championship.  

So, maybe we can still have that philosophy while finding a more winning formation? Yes? No?

Who knows. Mel doesn't. Nobody knows do they? NP is getting paid good money to know. He knows, at least I hope he does.

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

really? remind me how much money both teams spent getting promoted! 

I think you'll be very surprised.

They both spent, the money wasn't near today's figures but both did spend. Southampton had the Bale money which would of helped them build for a season or two. 

My overall point is you get up however you can because it's only going to get harder. And anyone who thinks our team is a few tweaks away from competing in the Prem is delusional, we can't get out the championship never mind have a "Derby way" playing team that could compete. 

Archived