Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

I'm not knocking the manager as I believe he's a top coach despite clearly being a bit loose upstairs, but I don't understand why we have appointed him taking everything in to consideration.

Nigel Pearson plays a variation of 4-4-2, be it 4-4-1-1 or something of that ilk. He did it at Southampton, Leicester City, Hull City and later at Leicester again - and each time he enjoyed some success or other.

But we don't have the personnel to play this formation. That is so evident, and Mel Morris spoke before about creating an identity or system at the club whereby managers can come and go but the style will remain.

Southampton and Swansea City have both followed this route, and done so with great success.

Why have we appointed a 4-4-2 man when we have pretty much built a squad for 4-3-3 over the past few years? You can't argue it doesn't work, only injuries and a lack of application has prevented us.

If we are going to move away from the 4-3-3 and work towards Pearson's preferred system, then why haven't we made a single move in the transfer market which would at least give the guy a better chance?

Pearson's starting eleven today suggested he has tried to work best with what he has, but it was poor. I'm sorry but if Bent, Blackman and Johnson is the best we have in a 4-4-2 then we're going to struggle to make the top six this year!

I was struggling to see what the hell we tried to do 12 months ago and openly criticised our recruitment team, but this summer it has arguably been even more baffling. Who has been behind these decisions? They're nonsensical IMO.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We looked good for 20 minutes today and had one of those chances gone in its a completely different story. It looked as if the confidence drained when we didn't score and we reverted to aimlessly punting it up the field giving Bent absolutely no chance.

It's time for change let's give it time, and if the players can't or won't adapt to Pearsons ideas I can't see them being with us for much longer. 

I get where you're coming from Bris. I too am slightly worried that we are moving in a completely different direction from the identity we've been building for the past 2.75 seasons. Some would argue this is a good thing, but it goes against what Mel has set out, and has proven successful for teams now established in the Prem, as you mentioned.

It is a bit soon though. I would take a 0-0 against Brighton in the middle of the season, so I will take it now.

The more worrying thing for me is that Will started on the bench, with Jeff and Bryso apparently ahead of him. Love them both, but they're not our star player. Need to start Will every game, full stop.

It's almost like Mel appointed Pearson with the intent not to back him, but to nonetheless allow him to proceed with a change in the system, then when it didn't work with the players we've already got to sack him to prove a point that 4-3-3 is the best formation because it's 'the Derby way'. 

Keep in mind if this isn't true, why isn't Mel backing NP with signings to realise the system?

I as at theme today two things I have to say poor poor  Johnson should be made for transfer and Blackman they were awful today Johnson made a comment that he did not perform last season and he did not do it today either 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

More to the point, since when have players become so rigid that they are only capable of playing one system?

When did football become so complicated that players can only defend or score in a certain system?

You have systems to get the best out of the players at your disposal. You only have to look at our squad and realise we don't have the players to successfully play 442, and that 433 is by far and away our best system.

I'm sure our players can play in a 442, 352, 622, 541 - but such systems restrict players.

Why would you remove Martin's best attributes, Bryson's energy in the final third, Hughes' playmaking ability in the middle and Russell's pace and directness on the wing for Bent, and out of position Blackman and a two-man midfield which doesn't suit any of our current midfielders.

I think Derby 4-3-3 tactics became too much predictable for the most of the teams in the Championship. Further, I am 100% sure Derby needs to acquire 1-2 ball winning midfielders who can tackle hard and pass accurately. A sort of more mobile advanced "George Thorne" type of players, together with one good all-round defender "Andre Wisdom" type. Certainly several players should be sold and moved before the end of the transfer period.

People can't wait to moan. Get me back to the Clough days where the 'fans' that booed didn't exist. I may criticize players on here but I'd never treat a player like the Derby fans did to Johnson and Baird today. I'd love to give each and every one of their head's a wobble. Give Pearson a chance for goodness sake, if Rome wasn't built in one day I doubt Derby will. 4-3-3 ONLY works when all of our players are fit. Who would you suggest to play the Thorne role? I'd argue that playing the formation we did today is the reason we didn't lose because it gave us the defensive stability and limited Brighton to an extent, although they should have buried the game. The problem isn't the formation, we played fantastic in the first 10-15 minutes. The issue is sustaining this pressure for the whole match.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You have systems to get the best out of the players at your disposal. You only have to look at our squad and realise we don't have the players to successfully play 442, and that 433 is by far and away our best system.

I'm sure our players can play in a 442, 352, 622, 541 - but such systems restrict players.

Why would you remove Martin's best attributes, Bryson's energy in the final third, Hughes' playmaking ability in the middle and Russell's pace and directness on the wing for Bent, and out of position Blackman and a two-man midfield which doesn't suit any of our current midfielders.

Absolute rubbish in my opinion, you have players that can play football and you build a system around it.

No player is brought up learning to play a certain system.

9 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

It's almost like Mel appointed Pearson with the intent not to back him, but to nonetheless allow him to proceed with a change in the system, then when it didn't work with the players we've already got to sack him to prove a point that 4-3-3 is the best formation because it's 'the Derby way'. 

Keep in mind if this isn't true, why isn't Mel backing NP with signings to realise the system?

10c4c3ee25fc03c0a5c5a0ee309176a2.png

22 minutes ago, Kernow said:

One game is enough to show us that we've appointed the wrong man?

Head-hands.jpg

Where have I said we've apppointed the wrong man? I've questioned WHY we have appointed him...

Nigel Pearson could be the right man, but if he is, why haven't we backed him and allowed him to bring in the necessary players to help him succeed using the system which he clearly prefers?

This team can't play, with any great success, a 442. We all know this!

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Absolute rubbish in my opinion, you have players that can play football and you build a system around it.

No player is brought up learning to play a certain system.

Ours clearly are. Martin is useless unless he's the lone striker in a 4-3-3. Defence can't take the heat unless Thorne is screening etc. Clement tried changing it and reverted back to 4-3-3 after 7 games and clear from today they don't work in a 4-4-2. 

Archived