Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, sage said:

Whilst it is natural to give everyone a clean slate, it only really benefits those whose previous performances, work rate or attitude were poor last season.

Those who have worked hard and performed well over the last three seasons could view this as having their previous  contributions wiped from the records too.

Spot on!

If someone had predicted after the play-offs that Hughes, Martin and Russell would be on the bench for the opening match of the new season and replaced by Johnson, Blackman and Bent this place would have been in bloody meltdown!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey.  People moan that we need to go in a diffrent direction, we needed shot of Clements, Wassall wasn't up to the job, we needed a proven manager with experience, yadda, yadda, yadda... Now we have Pearson, whom most people agreed was a decent option and we're already bitching after one game. Give the man a chance FFS! 

20 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I expected this thread from some members on here but from someone who seems to know his football ? Come on @Bris Vegas ! Really ? Let's give it at least 10 games ! 

I would suggest the content of the original post suggests a limited knowledge of football.

I'm with Bris on this too. 

And instead of reading it as a moan why not read what he's actually typing

As for players should be able to play in any formation. 

Well yeah, they can. And they did yesterday. And it looked a mess.

I've never liked Pearson but I quite rate him. But if he's going to go 442 then he's going to need to make some pretty significant changes

Changes mean you have to allow time.

Now I wonder all those jumping on Bris will allow this time. They're fine after one game but watch the meltdown after 15. 

And this is where Bris' point comes in. WHY appoint Pearson who doesn't fit. Not why appoint Pearson because he's crap. Why appoint a man who will likely need to make so much change? 

Personally I'd have waited on this thread until the transfer window closes. But I see his point. 

Like he said, players can play any formation. Hughes can play LB. Anyone here want to see Hughes LB though? So evidently systems matter. Or we wouldn't have them. 

Bris didn't write Pearson off. A few others did it for him. 

But if you were sat here nodding your head at the idea we put a system in place and then recruit to upgrade and develop our youths to the same system then how can you not see the point he's making?

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm with Bris on this too. 

And instead of reading it as a moan why not read what he's actually typing

As for players should be able to play in any formation. 

Well yeah, they can. And they did yesterday. And it looked a mess.

I've never liked Pearson but I quite rate him. But if he's going to go 442 then he's going to need to make some pretty significant changes

Changes mean you have to allow time.

Now I wonder all those jumping on Bris will allow this time. They're fine after one game but watch the meltdown after 15. 

And this is where Bris' point comes in. WHY appoint Pearson who doesn't fit. Not why appoint Pearson because he's crap. Why appoint a man who will likely need to make so much change? 

Personally I'd have waited on this thread until the transfer window closes. But I see his point. 

Like he said, players can play any formation. Hughes can play LB. Anyone here want to see Hughes LB though? So evidently systems matter. Or we wouldn't have them. 

Bris didn't write Pearson off. A few others did it for him. 

But if you were sat here nodding your head at the idea we put a system in place and then recruit to upgrade and develop our youths to the same system then how can you not see the point he's making?

Point is Alpha that it's a tad early in the day for making any such assumptions. And assumptions are exactly what they are.  Let's give the manager AND the team time to adapt before questioning his appointment eh? 

13 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Point is Alpha that it's a tad early in the day for making any such assumptions. And assumptions are exactly what they are.  Let's give the manager AND the team time to adapt before questioning his appointment eh? 

What assumptions? We've seen over the past three seasons what the bulk of this squad is capable of, and clealry what each player's best position is - hence why for the most part we've played a 433.

I don't know if you noticed, but yesterday we had a CM playing left midfield, a striker playing RM and three first-team players in Hughes, Martin and Russell on the bench as they arguably don't fit any of the roles of a 4411.

Playing 442 or a variation of it means we have a bunch of square pegs in round holes.

Everybody knows this, so my original question is, why appoint Pearson whose ideas don't fit the group or why appoint Pearson and not make a single change (in terms of signings) to help mould the squad to his style?

It shouldn't have taken until the first game of the flucking new season to realise we need to make changes in personnel in order for Pearson to stand a better chance of succeeding here.

Why haven't changes already been made? If he was intent on playing 442 at the beginning (which was fairly obvious seeing as he has payed 442 throughout his entire managerial career), why have we entered the new season with the very same set of players who evidently can't fullfil their potential in said system.

If we had complete trust in Pearson, then signings and controversial changes should have already happened. Not now contemplating them after the first game of the season and with only a few weeks of the transfer window left.

We've put ourselves in a somewhat position of panic again. I don't feel for a club of our stature that this is good enough at all!

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What assumptions? We've seen over the past three seasons what the bulk of this squad is capable of, and clealry what each player's best position is - hence why for the most part we've played a 433.

I don't know if you noticed, but yesterday we had a CM playing left midfield, a striker playing RM and three first-team players in Hughes, Martin and Russell on the bench as they arguably don't fit any of the roles of a 4411.

Playing 442 or a variation of it means we have a bunch of square pegs in round holes.

Everybody knows this, so my original question is, why appoint Pearson whose ideas don't fit the group or why appoint Pearson and not make a single change (in terms of signings) to help mould the squad to his style?

It shouldn't have taken until the first game of the flucking new season to realise we need to make changes in personnel in order for Pearson to stand a better chance of succeeding here.

Why haven't changes already been made? If he was intent on playing 442 at the beginning (which was fairly obvious seeing as he has payed 442 throughout his entire managerial career), why have we entered the new season with the very same set of players who evidently can't fullfil their potential in said system.

If we had complete trust in Pearson, then signings and controversial changes should have already happened. Not now contemplating them after the first game of the season and with only a few weeks of the transfer window left.

We've put ourselves in a somewhat position of panic again. I don't feel for a club of our stature that this is good enough at all!

Perhaps unlike you he wanted to see what could be done with existing personnel?  You are aware we have bids in play for new players aren't you, given your ITK status. Makes more sense to me to review existing options than just spending whilly-nilly without knowing whether new players are required. It's a long season and folk like you need to calm their jets IMO.

I predicted we would win 2-1 and feel a little bit disappointed we only drew. I want us to win all games 5-0.

However, we just played the best team from last season that didn't manage to get promoted. They got 89 pts compared to our 78, so I have decided to regard yesterday's result as progress.

Pearson is a good fit for us and I think he is going to weld our 'bottlers' of the last few seasons (as somebody on this forum has called the team) into a very tough team to beat, especially at home.

The Championship is a bear pit: for example we have had a much better weekend that Newcastle or Villa.

Time for optimism I think .... 'a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.' (According to the interweb).

COYR!

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

'We've seen' is key here isn't it? I don't accept your basic premise but I doubt NP particularly cares what some fans think our players are capable of from seasons gone by. I imagine he'd be more interested in making his own mind up and it might take more than one league game and a few pre-season friendlies.  I also think he's probably a better judge of a footballer than you, me or anybody else on here.   

Pointless and premature over-analysis of a non-issue.  Grr, I shouldn't get sucked in... 

i just find it crazy that some fan's are moaning after one game into the season,pearson will need time to see the good point's and bad point's of each player as they are not the player's he has bought or chosen,so you need to give him time to decide what he need's to change system and player wise.there is a fair chance we might not go up this season as it normaly take's at least one season  for a new manager to get everything into place. 

8 minutes ago, LazloW said:

'We've seen' is key here isn't it? I don't accept your basic premise but I doubt NP particularly cares what some fans think our players are capable of from seasons gone by. I imagine he'd be more interested in making his own mind up and it might take more than one league game and a few pre-season friendlies.  I also think he's probably a better judge of a footballer than you, me or anybody else on here.   

Pointless and premature over-analysis of a non-issue.  Grr, I shouldn't get sucked in... 

How can you say we haven't seen it?... A good chunk of this squad has been here for the past three years, if you still haven't figured out the strengths and weaknesses of our players during that time then I don't know which team you have been watching! 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

How can you say we haven't seen it?... A good chunk of this squad has been here for the past three years, if you still haven't figured out the strengths and weaknesses of our players during that time then I don't know which team you have been watching! 

I didn't say 'we' hadn't seen it, I said NP hasn't seen it and doesn't care what we've seen. I imagine he is confident in his ability to get what he wants out of players and not base his selections or tactics based on yours, mine or anybody else's assessment.

Just now, LazloW said:

I didn't say 'we' hadn't seen it, I said NP hasn't seen it and doesn't care what we've seen. I imagine he is confident in his ability to get what he wants out of players and not base his selections or tactics based on yours, mine or anybody else's assessment.

If he thought he could just walk in, implement his own system and style and immediately get everybody on board regardless of their strengths and weaknesses then he has no idea how football works.

Now, I don't believe he did for a second, which begs the question as to why no signings have been made and a decision to finally be active in the transfer market has come on the weekend of the opening day of the season.

It's either rank bad management, or hindrance from above has prevented him from doing so. Either way, it's pathetic and we've put ourselves in a mess with the season already underway.

18 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If he thought he could just walk in, implement his own system and style and immediately get everybody on board regardless of their strengths and weaknesses then he has no idea how football works.

Now, I don't believe he did for a second, which begs the question as to why no signings have been made and a decision to finally be active in the transfer market has come on the weekend of the opening day of the season.

It's either rank bad management, or hindrance from above has prevented him from doing so. Either way, it's pathetic and we've put ourselves in a mess with the season already underway.

I'm surprised Mel didn't get you in to manage the team Bris.  We'd be ten points clear by now....

Could it be a case of that after how appalling last summer and January were we've essentially just told Pearson to re-build the team in his image? He did say in his first press conference that he was known as a builder of teams. Perhaps we're writing this season off and letting him decide what he needs for this season. 

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I'm surprised Mel didn't get you in to manage the team Bris.  We'd be ten points clear by now....

I'm not saying I'm some sort of manager expert, but considering we've spent circa £30 million on transfer fees over the past 18 months (on a squad that finished 3rd!) you have to ask yourself why we've started the new season playing 442 with a central midfieder on left wing, a striker on right wing and our best player (Hughes), top scorer (Martin) and top assists (Russell) all on the bench and evidently unsuited to our current system.

WHY?

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm not saying I'm some sort of manager expert, but considering we've spent circa £30 million on transfer fees over the past 18 months (on a squad that finished 3rd!) you have to ask yourself why we've started the new season playing 442 with a central midfieder on left wing, a striker on right wing and our best player (Hughes), top scorer (Martin) and top assists (Russell) all on the bench and evidently unsuited to our current system.

WHY?

It's hard to argue with a single word of this.

Surely we stick with our tried and tested "Derby way" system with the current players or MM gives NP the cash to spend and buy his own players in his preferred formation of 442, because we simply do not have the players presently to do this.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

WHY?

Maybe you should give Nigel a call and demand an explanation.  I'm sure quelling your doubts and fears is top of his list of priorities right now.

the teams 'that get promoted from the championship are the team's that play best as a team not a team of talented individual's,and that will take time and getting the right player's in that maybe do not seem a wow type of signing but the manager know's will  fit  in,a bit like a jigsaw puzzle you could say.

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

It's hard to argue with a single word of this.

Surely we stick with our tried and tested "Derby way" system with the current players or MM gives NP the cash to spend and buy his own players in his preferred formation of 442, because we simply do not have the players presently to do this.

What grates me is after one game of the season there is now talk of the club making numerous bids for players. Why has it taken all this time to figure out the blindingly obvious?

We've pretty much wasted an entire pre-season and given our promotion rivals a big headstart by not entering the transfer market some ten weeks ago when Pearson was appointed as manager.

Surely either Pearson, or those currently working at the club, should have known which players are suitable to playing in Pearson's preferred system of 4-4-2 or a variation of it.

Wanting to give these players the opportunity to show themselves when they've already shown their capabilities over the past three seasons just annoys me. It smacks of naivety from all involved.

Archived