Why did we appoint Nigel Pearson?

Bris Vegas

8 minutes ago, YouRams said:

People are quick to forget Southampton and Swansea had money in a time when clubs around them didn't have so much. With the money floating about now you get out of this league however you can because it's only going to get more difficult, look at the type of players the likes of Boro are signing. Teams are going to be coming down with very talented players and cash in the bank. I'm glad the "Derby way" has been scrapped I want us out of this league. 

Southampton had a few years of financial crisis before going on to win back to back promotions. Don't forget they sold Oxlade-Chamberlain for around £12,000,000 too.

Swansea's entire promotion season squad cost around £3,000,000. They made around the same amount back from selling Jason Scotland and Jordi Gomez. They had two managers poached whilst they were in The Championship but always replaced him with somebody who could carry on the work.

I want us promoted in a sustainable fashion, by genuinley performing rather than grinding wins out, ah-la Billy. JUST wanting promotion is a very short term view. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@cannable £3m then was a large amount of money for that league. As my last comment to Mostyn just said do you think our team is close to competing in the Prem? I don't believe we are anywhere near. If we'd of made it last season or even this close to a complete overhaul would be needed anyway. 

So for me you go for it then build when your up, the three teams coming down have a net worth of £170m more than teams have previous years. And I'd hope we learnt from the last time and didn't buy crap again.

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why have we wasted an entire pre-season twiddling our thumbs when it was so blinding obvious we needed to make big changes? 

We've spent £30 million on new players since then and line-up against them two years later with half the team out of position and now in a mad scramble to buy even more players.

So just to clarify, which of these two completely contradictory viewpoints do you actually believe in?

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

What grates me is after one game of the season there is now talk of the club making numerous bids for players. Why has it taken all this time to figure out the blindingly obvious?

We've pretty much wasted an entire pre-season and given our promotion rivals a big headstart by not entering the transfer market some ten weeks ago when Pearson was appointed as manager.

Surely either Pearson, or those currently working at the club, should have known which players are suitable to playing in Pearson's preferred system of 4-4-2 or a variation of it.

Wanting to give these players the opportunity to show themselves when they've already shown their capabilities over the past three seasons just annoys me. It smacks of naivety from all involved.

Maybe we currently haven't got any financial headroom.  Perhaps we are a bit closer to FFP than is being let on? I suspect to get the players he wants, and not bargain basements, he needs to sell first. Hendrick (and/or Hughes/Martin) going might be what is needed to be able to complete the deals he wants.

But even if that is not true, respect to NP for coming in and looking at what we have got, getting to know characters as well as abilities. If we don't go up this season so what? Give him time. Much harder managing a football team than regurgitating tittle tattle online.

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Genuine question, as I don't really get this modern obsession with formations - can you have a similar philosophy with a different formation? 

When I've watched the under 21s last season they seemed to play a different formation or at least style to the first team. Also, I seem to recall Pearson's Leicester playing some lovely football the season they got promotion from the Championship.  

So, maybe we can still have that philosophy while finding a more winning formation? Yes? No?

Yes. Much of McClaren's success was down to that fact that it was a tweak of Clough's system. The general play of each of their sides were very similar, despite Clough using a diamond. McClaren made a few vital tweaks that turned a team that would probably going to finish mid table into what we became.

10 minutes ago, YouRams said:

@cannable £3m then was a large amount of money for that league. As my last comment to Mostyn just said do you think our team is close to competing in the Prem? I don't believe we are anywhere near. If we'd of made it last season or even this close to a complete overhaul would be needed anyway. 

So for me you go for it then build when your up, the three teams coming down have a net worth of £170m more than teams have previous years. And I'd hope we learnt from the last time and didn't buy crap again.

Really? Our team in 10/11 cost about £5,000,000 to assemble.

Had we been promoted in 13/14 or 14/15 then we would have needed a few tweaks. Bournemouth's most used XI from last season featured 10 players that they got promoted with. They performed to a high level in this division and thus didn't need to do a lot to stay up. 

19 minutes ago, matty1986 said:

So just to clarify, which of these two completely contradictory viewpoints do you actually believe in?

Wy are they contradictory? IMO we don't need to make many changes at all, but that's based on having a manager who is comfortable using a 433 system and has experience in doing so.

Pearson throughout his entire career has played a variety of 442, and he seems set to follow that here. So, if that's the case, we need to make big changes as we don't have a squad to do so.

We have SIX CMs vying for two spots, no genuine wingers and a forward line lacking in pace. If we're going to go 442, we need to make big changes to the squad, yet so far we've just sat around doing nothing.

I'm a big 433 fan and I'd find it a crying shame to see us ditch that, especially as it could spell the end for the likes of Bryson, Martin and Russell who have played key parts in what has arguably been the most enjoyable time to be a DCFC fan in the past 16 years!

But, if we go down the 442 route, I'm willing to give Pearson time but the guy needs help. He cannot be expected to achieve a top six spot let alone promotion with our current crop of players using his preferred system. 

Which goes back to my original point... Why haven't we done anything this summer? Why are we totally unprepared for a promotion camapign despite spending shed loads of money in the past 18 months.

Errors have evidently been made, and unfortunately I'm seeing nothing in terms of attempts to eradicate them.

Surely we knew transfer targets....and I read in another thread about Hughes seeing the bench most weeks....which amazes me.... As he's our best asset. He did more in the 30 mins .....in  energy, football know how on Sat than any one one else.....

All to narrow Sat! All that lovely pitch on the wing unused!!! Cried out for a real winger..... Or Fozzy  to get up the line....

Wake up Mr Pearson....your our manager

Also Brighton fans totally out sang South stand Sat. Views?

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

Surely we knew transfer targets....and I read in another thread about Hughes seeing the bench most weeks....which amazes me.... As he's our best asset. He did more in the 30 mins .....in  energy, football know how on Sat than any one one else.....

All to narrow Sat! All that lovely pitch on the wing unused!!! Cried out for a real winger..... Or Fozzy  to get up the line....

Wake up Mr Pearson....your our manager

Also Brighton fans totally out sang South stand Sat. Views?

I'm sure Foz would have played had he been available.

As for Hughes, there are four possible trains of thought:

1) He's still making his way back from serious injury and is being eased back in

2) Pearson doesn't fancy him in a 4 man midfield

3) He's in the process of being sold so we have to get used to playing without him

4) Pearson is clueless and can't see that we need our best player in the team

Delete as to your preferred view.

As for the South Stand, where have all the flags gone? The cards didn't work and they seemed very quiet on Saturday.

33 minutes ago, Hadabelly said:

Perhaps the South stand are waiting for the other stands to put in a shift

But the idea is that the south stand is there for the singers, they have effectively killed off the remaining three stands by bringing everyone together in one place. 

(Tin hat on) I don't think it has the desired effect that everyone hopes for. Yes we have loyal fans but we don't have noisy fans. 

i applaud the 1884 group for what they are creating. But they are focussing on the build up to games. So really the south stand fans should stop moaning about other stands or other lame excuses and do what it's intended to do. 

My feeling here is that 433 was pretty good, but in the end we finished 4th, 7th and 6th .. So we didn't get on the podium did we ? So are we going to be content to be nearly men ? 

While we had 433 we spent money on players, it's not as if they were on the shelf and being taken out of the box in the same order every Saturday and no one went to the toy shop for Steve Mac or PC ....We might lack a ball winning / distributing midfielder .. But I suspect George could play that every bit as well as he can play DM. Jamie Hanson also has that ability. In Bent Martin Ince Blackman Weiman  we have central playing forwards .. We do lack a natural right winger but in basic terms we have round players for round holes in a 442 every bit as much as we have for a 433. It's a question of application, practice and flexibility. 

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm sure Foz would have played had he been available.

As for Hughes, there are four possible trains of thought:

1) He's still making his way back from serious injury and is being eased back in

2) Pearson doesn't fancy him in a 4 man midfield

3) He's in the process of being sold so we have to get used to playing without him

4) Pearson is clueless and can't see that we need our best player in the team

Delete as to your preferred view.

As for the South Stand, where have all the flags gone? The cards didn't work and they seemed very quiet on Saturday.

I don't know - could be any one of the four - but all strange!!!!

Good thinking.Johnson-Blackman,10,million spent,and not good enough,Bent a top earner at the club,not good enough,

And you ask why Mel brought in Pearson,The recruitment was a shambles,,And in one game,you expect,Pearson to justify the poor signings of the past two and a half years,with millions spent,Or to squander more of Mels money.

The team will evolve over a period of time,,and please reflect the fees we paid for the failures,on the pitch

You have a right to be mad the progress made from the 2009 season,means with the millions spent,we should be in the , Premiership.But Pearson is not to blame---Seems Rush is not to blame or is he

Bit harsh Trevor .. Johnson and Butterfield where emergency buys having lost Bryson and Hughes to long term injuries at the start of the season. Consequently we had to pay top dollar.  Bent has a very high goals to game ratio and worthy of a top striker. Wages may be high but he didn't cost much did he ? He doesn't moan about being left on the bench practically all last season either. 

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Any player can play in any position and in any formation. Will Hughes at LB anyone?

Yes players have preferred systems and roles, however with the modern game I expect them to adapt to some degree, especially being paid what they are.

Most people need to have the skill to adapt, I expect a professional athlete, in a team game to be as well.

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Any player can play in any position and in any formation. Will Hughes at LB anyone?

As much as that true, you're also ruling out the possibility that players can adapt to new positions under different manager's systems. Some of the best players of all time had their positions changed.

Schweinsteiger was a winger, Henry was a winger, there are many examples of this.  

Archived