Chris Martin

Lord_Ram

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd love to know what Martin doubters have made of our Forwards for the last 20 yrs, for me he's the best since Saunders.

what.....cant compare him to Dean Saunders ffs.........hes the next best thing to Kevin Hector......you guys!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

I like the 4-2-3-1 formation, the only problem is our players don't necessarily suit it. We have Thorne who can play the two, but who else? Hendrick potentially? Johnson may be able to but hasn't impressed this season. Butters and Bryson would both be in the Hughes type of midfielder so if we did go with this formation, we may as well let one go to allow room for another more defensive minded midfielder to play alongside/cover Thorne.

I think Butterfield/Hendrick could both play in the holding roles, provided they were partnered by Thorne. Equally I think Hughes and Thorne would be good holding with Hughes given license to roam forward in situations, but then it's efctively back to the 4-3-3 again.

It's fine lines between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 but I think we saw Bent was much better in a 4-2-3-1 than in a 4-3-3 this season against Bristol, when Ince had a lovely old time playing in the space Bent's runs created. I hope we make it our alternate formation, because I can see someone like Weimann playing well in the ST or CAM role of a 4-2-3-1 too.

Hope we get some fluidity between systems next season like I was hoping for with Clement.

The reality is that he's very poor but some are just used to having him around and he was in there when we played good attacking football involving flick passes. Stick a real quality striker in there who can strike a little fear into a defence - no not sammon ffs - and we are going to propel ourselves into the next division easily because who can compete with a Thorne Bryson Hughes midfield in this league ???? No one. 

With the likes of Villa and Newcastle in the division with him as our focal player we are well and truly toast in terms of the automatics. New manager new vision new centre forward. Full stop.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The reality is that he's very poor but some are just used to having him around and he was in there when we played good attacking football involving flick passes. Stick a real quality striker in there who can strike a little fear into a defence - no not sammon ffs - and we are going to propel ourselves into the next division easily because who can compete with a Thorne Bryson Hughes midfield in this league ???? No one. 

With the likes of Villa and Newcastle in the division with him as our focal player we are well and truly toast in terms of the automatics. New manager new vision new centre forward. Full stop.

It's hard to know where to start, there's so much wrong here.

60 goals in 131 games in the last 3 seasons. Great assist rate. 

Come on Agenda Boy, do you really believe this 'very poor' business? 

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I'd love to know what Martin doubters have made of our Forwards for the last 20 yrs, for me he's the best since Saunders.

And Saunders partner was..... Mr, sorry,  Sir Paul Goddard. What a top bloke!!! Rather a decent player too 

10 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Scotland games

Since 2008, Ross McCormack 12 games, 2 goals

Since 2014, Chris Martin 8 games, 1 goal

Clearly a "much better" player.

Lol!!! Who did Martin score against? Gibraltar, from zero yards out. Did you see it? He wouldn't start against an average team in a meaningful game. Strachan ain't that dumb. We'd be better off playing Martin against the bad sides and putting Zanzala or ? In for games against top teams. McLovins bang on with this. Matters not because if a new manager comes in they'll figure it out pretty quick. 

Martin as one of two strikers would only come in question if we have total control of possession IMO. His lack of movement as single one is already affecting a lot to our team defending, but with 2 upfront, it would pretty much ruin the whole idea of 442 or 4411. Zonal play demands better defensive work without a ball.

Wouldn't be problem if we had the ball but football is therefore vile game as there's the opposition playing at same time.

11 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

McCormack is slightly better than Martin so lets pay £13m for him

Judge is slightly better than Russell so lets pay another £10m for him

Forrestieri is slightly better than Ince so lets pay another £10m for him

Kayal is slightly better than Bryson so lets pay another £6m for him.

Dawson is slightly better than Shackell so lets pay another £5m for him

So lets pay £44m on slightly improving our side on positions that don't need huge improvements, because you know it is those small margins that will get us promotion.

I generally agree with your point of view, but can't help thinking you've shot yourself in the foot with this one. Why not spend £44m to improve us by that 1 or 2% that will gain us those extra few points in a season and take us into the automatic places?

If you were Mel, and I could guarantee you now that by spending £44m you would get promotion and the close to £200m that brings, wouldn't that be a good investment?

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 01:48, Super Johnny Russell said:

Martin on his day is brilliant. No doubt about it.

But otherwise he isn't. It's not always his fault, Saturday for example when he was yelling for the team to push up and nobody listened.

Unfortunately it may be time to sell and get some money for him while we can. I think his best days are behind him.

This is a load of *****, to say his best days are behind him is ridiculous.

For a start Martin has never has never had to rely on pace just pure ability, he is only in his late twenties so I imagine his best days are yet to come or he is at the very least well within them now.

We definitely shouldn't get rid of him but it wouldn't kill us to find another formation which suits him in order for us to play two up top.

Martin is our best player of the 'set up' ball.

Where I think he lets himself down is his failure to put himself in good goal scoring positions. Bent is better in that respect.

If Martin stays, I hope they give him better support than he gets from Russell and Ince. Both have talent but little tactical awareness. Martin is a clever player and needs like-minded individuals around him.

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

If Tom Ince had converted a few more of the chances that Martin has set up for him this season we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

ince is wasteful. Wastes possesion by shooting when its not on, doesn't look for a pass. The games where he appears brilliant are the games we dominate and the wasted possession isn't as noticeable or costly, or the odd time his shots hit the target. I would love to know the percentage of his shots that are blocked, I think he just shoots and never looks to see if theres anybody in the way.

Martin doesn't do it against the better teams they say…

In thirty-four starts against each season's top six (including play-offs) he's scored twelve goals and created six goals.

Mitigating factors are; three games were under Clough - he played left wing against Brentford at home last season and was unfit - THAT Burnley game - going off injured against Bournemouth. 

Just to contextualise his record, compare his record to that of Andre Gray, who in twenty starts against top six sides has scored six goals and registered three assists.

Mitigating factors for him are; coming off injured against us this season.

So yeah. A bit of a myth that he doesn't do it against the better teams.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

If Tom Ince had converted a few more of the chances that Martin has set up for him this season we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

If Tom Ince could cross a ball from a corner flag and beat the first man, we wouldn't have conceded the killing 3rd goal at home to Hull, sometimes you have to keep the ball up top, it's a form of defending the ball whilst still in attack, it's also called having a football brain, which Chris Martin clearly has. As for Hull City selling Tom Ince to us, nice bit of business for the Tigers as I don't think they've missed Tom.

27 minutes ago, cannable said:

In thirty-four starts against each season's top six (including play-offs) he's scored twelve goals and created six goals.

Mitigating factors are; three games were under Clough - he played left wing against Brentford at home last season and was unfit - THAT Burnley game - going off injured against Bournemouth. 

Just to contextualise his record, compare his record to that of Andre Gray, who in twenty starts against top six sides has scored six goals and registered three assists.

Don't bring stats into this, Andre Gray can run fast so THERE

Just now, nottingram said:

Don't bring stats into this, Andre Gray can run fast so THERE

I've just had a look at Sam Vokes' record too. In his last two Championship seasons he's scored five goals and created two in eighteen games against top six sides. 

:lol::lol::lol:

30 minutes ago, cannable said:

But he is slow and lazy and only good because we play to his strengths. <_<

3rd goal at Hull, talking about 3's, as bad luck comes in 3's which have been catching me out all last week, what with 1, Hull scoring 3 even though the game should have ended at 95 mins, as the extra time went up as 5 mins, but Robertson scored in 98th minute, 3 unwanted and unnecessary minutes. 2, West Ham losing my top 6 finish on the Sunday and failing to win me£450. 3, my current threat of losing my job on the Monday. I suppose you could add we lost at Wembley, we failed to reach top 6 and now we failed when we had 3 games left to win in the play offs, the 3 keeps on continuing. So please bring on 4th time lucky next season.

I'm actually quite surprised that nobody mentioned the extra 3 minutes at home to Hull, in the match thread, was it mentioned a lot in the match chat? coz I wanted that ref to blow his whistle at 2-0' coz all the Aberdeenshire Rams in the pub, all stated when Tom Mince, minced up again that Hull would score a third, we just hated watching it happen and play as we predicted.

And we certainly played miles better when Tom Mince was on the bench at Hull, probably his best position.

But some say 3 have a better time.........Oh and 3 Willy, oh and please, please, please 3 Tom Ince!

Archived