Chris Martin

Lord_Ram

16 minutes ago, ITSD said:

Chris Martin is one of the best strikers in the championship, no doubt about it. You don't score 60 odd goals in 3 seasons by accident.

Personally, I think he'd do better in the premier league than many other championship strikers who rely on getting many chances and eventually sticking one away. You don't get many chances in the premiership.

Those saying he's been poor against premier league defences might be correct, but we've only seen him against those at the top end of the premier league, not the teams we'd be looking to beat if we got promoted.

Thorne, Hughes and Martin is the spine of a very, very good championship team if you ask me.

Not just premier league defences though , he has been poor against the best championship teams too like boro and burnley

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

His workrate is so infectious Fulham finished 20th

Because his team is full of young inexperienced players and him and dembele carried that team. Without them Fulham would have got relegated long ago. Mccormack is a better player than Martin any day of the week, who are you trying to kid by suggesting the opposite?

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Because his team is full of young inexperienced players and him and dembele carried that team. Without them Fulham would have got relegated long ago. Mccormack is a better player than Martin any day of the week, who are you trying to kid by suggesting the opposite?

Disagree. Different style, not better.

Just now, McLovin said:

He probably is a better player, but not by much and certainly not worth paying over £10 million to just be slightly better than what we already have.

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

He probably is a better player, but not by much and certainly not worth paying over £10 million to just be slightly better than what we already have.

Why isn't it worth it? There are small margins in the championship. People criticized Burnley and poor @curtains for signing Andre Gray when they are much richer now they are in the prem

34 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Very true. The most overrated pants player for years: nice flicks big deal. May as well play a man short every game. No pace no power no shot strolls around dives can't do much with his head (except when defending) won't run onto a pass or chase any ball or even fight for a ball unless his backs to goal, gives the ball away a lot,  a whinger of the highest order: he never delivers when he's needed he has done less than zilch for Scotland which he wisely chose as his country because him for England ? Not a chance. He's a journeyman league 1 or league 2 player at best and is playing one league too high. He leads the line be prepared to never go up. Time for a change so we can actually start scoring goals. Hope we are wise enough to move him out pronto. 

A league too high!?!? I dread to think how many leagues higher than they should be most of the other strikers in the league are playing then! You are saying a player who has been directly involved in at least 20 goals each season for the past 3 seasons is playing a league above his level?!?! That is biggest pile of rubbish I've ever seen on this forum!

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Nope, put Martin in that Fulham team and he'd struggle.

So you assert, maybe and maybe not. He's different in style. Doesn't mean better. 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Why isn't it worth it? There are small margins in the championship. People criticized Burnley and poor @curtains for signing Andre Gray when they are much richer now they are in the prem

McCormack is slightly better than Martin so lets pay £13m for him

Judge is slightly better than Russell so lets pay another £10m for him

Forrestieri is slightly better than Ince so lets pay another £10m for him

Kayal is slightly better than Bryson so lets pay another £6m for him.

Dawson is slightly better than Shackell so lets pay another £5m for him

So lets pay £44m on slightly improving our side on positions that don't need huge improvements, because you know it is those small margins that will get us promotion.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A striker's role is not to assist, it's to score especially if the whole team is built around him.  Mccormack has better stats than Martin in a much inferior team and is a team player. Mccormack's work rate is infectious. If we got him he'd make the whole team play an extra 10%. In the modern game the striker's should be the first line of defence. When defenders play against Martin they can easily bring the ball out because they know who won't challenge them. Again Martin isn't one of our best players in my humble opinion, he looks better than what he actually is because the team is built to suit him which is why he always flops for scotland. We should build the team around Hughes

Nice contradiction there.

Martin is so poor he has scored 63 goals for us in 155 and McCormack has 8 more goals in the same period and same games.

If McCormack is so much better why doesn't he get called up for Scotland? Maybe in the Strachan's humble opinion Martin is better? 

Martin looks better than what he actually is because we play to his strengths? :lol: Keep clutching at those straws :lol:

24 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A striker's role is not to assist, it's to score especially if the whole team is built around him.  Mccormack has better stats than Martin in a much inferior team and is a team player. Mccormack's work rate is infectious. If we got him he'd make the whole team play an extra 10%. In the modern game the striker's should be the first line of defence. When defenders play against Martin they can easily bring the ball out because they know who won't challenge them. Again Martin isn't one of our best players in my humble opinion, he looks better than what he actually is because the team is built to suit him which is why he always flops for scotland. We should build the team around Hughes

tank-4.jpg

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Very true. The most overrated pants player for years: nice flicks big deal. May as well play a man short every game. No pace no power no shot strolls around dives can't do much with his head (except when defending) won't run onto a pass or chase any ball or even fight for a ball unless his backs to goal, gives the ball away a lot,  a whinger of the highest order: he never delivers when he's needed he has done less than zilch for Scotland which he wisely chose as his country because him for England ? Not a chance. He's a journeyman league 1 or league 2 player at best and is playing one league too high. He leads the line be prepared to never go up. Time for a change so we can actually start scoring goals. Hope we are wise enough to move him out pronto. 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 

What a nonsense post! 

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Going to get a lot of stick here but he never performs well when we need him the most. Only "big game" that he has performed well was in 2013/14 in the play off semi final. He struggles against defenders who are half decent. Been saying it since he got bullied and given a lesson by Sol Bamba or you can even look to the play off final when richard dunne outsprinted and bullied  him. If he is our main striker then we can forget about the automatic spots. Good championship player? Yes if you build the whole team around him. Good enough to help a team get promoted? Nope.

I love it when someone else says exactly what I think. Most of the better centre halves have him sussed and when he gets involved in a personal battle his contribution goes out the window, diving, whinging, ridiculous appeals for fouls. We definitely need pace up top either with or without Martin if we want to be real contenders.

I dont like his constant moaning, I dont like the way he drops to the ground like a sack of **** looking for free kicks all the team, even though it does go in our favour some times, hes lazy and slow, but.... If we could find a striker who could play along side him who is a goal scorer i think were on to a winner. If we play him on his own I dont think we'll be good enough

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

A striker's role is to do what the manager wants him to do. 

Martin must have been doing something right to keep a former England international out of the team.

On 19 May 2016 at 19:52, YouRams said:

Id love to see him play with someone like Andre Gray call me old fashioned but I love a 442 with a Martin type and a pacey striker playing off them. 

Me too ... Can't help it ? ...Keegan and Toshack, Sherringham and Solskaer, Shearer and Sutton ... A clever sod and a whippet. 

Archived