Chris Martin

Lord_Ram

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

The guys like 5 ft 8! Joe Garner right?

My original post was saying if you have two up front you are not solely aimed at as they have 2 strikers to aim for. You can argue we need Martin as a target man but we need someone with him to score the goals because he hasn't scored enough consistently even though he has a decent return.

You pointed out Vokes. Well his strike partner has notched plenty! So I am guessing Vokes has been involved in a lot of burnleys goals?

We basically play 3 up front considering how narrow our wingers can play. At times against Hull Russell was so close to Martin that he was basically a second striker.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin needs a team playing to his strengths, in to chest or feet early. Hull PL home game was an example of not what to do, recent games he spent a lot of time moaning at the mids telling them to put it in to his chest and not head. Bryson isn't making the same runs like he did under McClaren either. Either way it'll be down to whether the new manager wants to play this system anymore, we might have a total change.

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

We basically play 3 up front considering how narrow our wingers can play. At times against Hull Russell was so close to Martin that he was basically a second striker.

Not often enough. How many times have you heard - Chris Martin was isolated. A lot of games it certainly looks more like a 4-5-1

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

That can hardly be Martins fault if he is isolated, the rest of the team need to there jobs as well.

Yeah obviously it isn't his fault he's isolated. That's why I want a change in the system. Cant keep playing the same failed way and expect to go up.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Yeah obviously it isn't his fault he's isolated. That's why I want a change in the system. Cant keep playing the same failed way and expect to go up.

The system hasn't failed us though, it has been a lot of other factors:

2013-14- Bad luck in the play-off final, we were the better side on the day

2014-15- Injuries and Mac flirting with Newcastle

2015-16- Poor manager in Clement and poor signings

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

The system hasn't failed us though, it has been a lot of other factors:

2013-14- Bad luck in the play-off final, we were the better side on the day

2014-15- Injuries and Mac flirting with Newcastle

2015-16- Poor manager in Clement and poor signings

Don't think we are going to agree here but here goes:

13/14 we lost end of. For all the domination we had we didn't test Green enough- Cough Martin!! :ph34r:

14/15- Injuries are injuries we had 2 massive injuries from day 1 this season and made the play-offs. We also cant control other clubs wanting our head coach.

15/16 I feel clement did a decent job for a first timer- we were only 5 points of autos when he left and ended up like 13 away. Poor signings I don't know who you would refer to I feel wiemann bent butterfield shackell and Johnson were all good signings at the time (and still can be) but unfortunately we need a manager not a head coach as he is not in charge of recruitment.

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

The system under McClaren, Clement and Wassall were all different… 

Martin always wants the ball and sulks wen he doesn't get it - his movement around the box, although not the quickest, is excellent and creates space for the likes of Hughes and Bryson so they can go beyond him 

the problems are that players like Ince take far too many touches on the ball, cut inside and change direction without getting anywhere 

Derby are at there Brilliant best with quick passing and Martin also when he is laying the ball off or flicking it on as it showed against Hull when we beat them 4-0 

when teams sit back and we play lots of side way passes , which has been the story of our season, it is too easy for defenders to get back and organise themselves 

Just now, Simsy said:

Don't think we are going to agree here but here goes:

13/14 we lost end of. For all the domination we had we didn't test Green enough- Cough Martin!! :ph34r:

14/15- Injuries are injuries we had 2 massive injuries from day 1 this season and made the play-offs. We also cant control other clubs wanting our head coach.

15/16 I feel clement did a decent job for a first timer- we were only 5 points of autos when he left and ended up like 13 away. Poor signings I don't know who you would refer to I feel wiemann bent butterfield shackell and Johnson were all good signings at the time (and still can be) but unfortunately we need a manager not a head coach as he is not in charge of recruitment.

14/15 - We lost towards the end of the season Martin, Bent, Buxton, Whitbread, Eustace, Mascarell and Russell. Do you think that any team would be able to scrape promotion with losing that many key players? Yeah we can't control if another team scouts our manager, so why then blame it one Chris Martin?

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

14/15 - We lost towards the end of the season Martin, Bent, Buxton, Whitbread, Eustace, Mascarell and Russell. Do you think that any team would be able to scrape promotion with losing that many key players? Yeah we can't control if another team scouts our manager, so why then blame it one Chris Martin?

Agree - George came back then got injured again too. Not sure would include whitbread as a key player but the others at times were.

For a team which relies so much on a formation which has a defensive midfield role to have all 3 out injured is bad luck.

14 hours ago, eddie said:

Over 90 words, when you could have just typed "I am a troll" and saved us all that effort reading.

For shame.

Everyone who dares to disagree with you gets called a Troll,by you.I'm used to it,by now,so I can deal with it.I feel sorry for the others who get the same treatment,I would say to them,never mind the bullying and the abuse never be afraid to express your opinion.

1 hour ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Mascarell was **** and Whitbread. Cant remember Russell being injured but you might be right. With those injuries surely we should of changed the system?

I am not blaming it ALL on Martin but I think we could certainly upgrade on him though. Its not his fault no manager will properly drop him or change the system although he would probably be the first to have a moan about it.

We will not make the top 2 with this system and chrissy up top. Mark my words.

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Mascarell was **** and Whitbread. Cant remember Russell being injured but you might be right. With those injuries surely we should of changed the system?

I am not blaming it ALL on Martin but I think we could certainly upgrade on him though. Its not his fault no manager will properly drop him or change the system although he would probably be the first to have a moan about it.

We will not make the top 2 with this system and chrissy up top. Mark my words.

To who and how much is that going to cost?

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

The guys like 5 ft 8! Joe Garner right?

My original post was saying if you have two up front you are not solely aimed at as they have 2 strikers to aim for. You can argue we need Martin as a target man but we need someone with him to score the goals because he hasn't scored enough consistently even though he has a decent return.

You pointed out Vokes. Well his strike partner has notched plenty! So I am guessing Vokes has been involved in a lot of burnleys goals?

4 assists this season

21 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I would happily play Bent and Wiemann or Bent with Ince just behind.

Not really had a long hard think but McCormack? Assombalonga? 

I don't think Bent is the answer from the start of the match at least. The question it would create is what 2 do you play in cm/dm with 2 upfront or Ince in the hole?

McCormack when he went to Fulham or last season would have been a good signing, but now Fulham have him on a 4 year deal and he will be 30 a few games into the season, he will look for a contract of a similar length and I don't think we should be looking to have McCormack here until he is almost 34. Assombalonga, decent shout but Fawaz will not sell anyone to us, not for a fair price anyway. A replacement for Martin is going to cost a lot of money, especially if we are looking for someone who is going to score around 20 goals a season.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Wouldn't stop us putting in the odd derisory bid for him, with the forest FFP situation and players natural goal to better themselves.

Tried it with Antonio didn't we, got them all up in arms, and didn't Antonio miss a game because of our bid? :lol:

Archived