Chris Martin

Lord_Ram

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with many on here that Martin is one of our best players. But that's only when we build our team around him, making it difficult when he's injured or out of form, as we've seen over the last couple of years. I'd bring in a couple of quality forwards, but ones that don't need the whole team built around them. 

17 minutes ago, Simsy said:

He also has been our only regular striker with the leagues best midfield behind him. Don't you get that? ;)

Nine of his sixty-two goals for us have seen assists credited to our midfielders. He's created ten goals for our midfielders. 

Sort of shows that he's as good for our midfield as they are for him. 

Also disproves the theory the everything goes through Martin and the middle, too.

I'm just guessing here but I'm sure he would have had more goals if for the first 30 games the so called best midfield in the league was 10 yards closer to pull the defenders out of position. I'm also guessing they would have scored more also.

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I'm just guessing here but I'm sure he would have had more goals if for the first 30 games the so called best midfield in the league was 10 yards closer to pull the defenders out of position. I'm also guessing they would have scored more also.

I'm just guessing here but I'm sure that he would have had more goals if for the first 30 games the so-called best midfield in the league weren't both sidelined through injuries received in the first 30 minutes of the first game of the season.

Martin reminds me of Giroud from Arsenal. Both are solid players who will get you 15-20 goals a season but they aren't going to win you the league or in our case get promoted. I'd like to see an upgrade on Martin but we have other priorities to fulfil first like a proper cdm because we can't rely on Thorne and proper wingers rather than forwards playing as wingers.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Dwight Gayle agrees new contract with Crystal Palace until 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/12/dwight-gayle-crystal-palace-contract

Didn't know he'd signed one, but it's strange as they were seemingly keen to get rid last summer. Accepted bid(s) from at least one club. If he didn't turn down Bristol City he'd have left Palace then.

59 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Didn't know he'd signed one, but it's strange as they were seemingly keen to get rid last summer. Accepted bid(s) from at least one club. If he didn't turn down Bristol City he'd have left Palace then.

Played in the final didn't he? Must have worked is way back into the fold.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

I'm just guessing here but I'm sure that he would have had more goals if for the first 30 games the so-called best midfield in the league weren't both sidelined through injuries received in the first 30 minutes of the first game of the season.

7 strikers managed to score more than Martin and they never had Hughes and Bryson either.

38 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

7 strikers managed to score more than Martin and they never had Hughes and Bryson either.

You can't have it both ways though. There are people here saying martins a crap goal scorer cos he didn't score 20 goals this season, he's a whopping 8th on the top scorers chart. Then there's others saying he's not a team player. He just wanders off in a strip when he's not playing well. 

Yet this season, he's either scored or created the third most goals. That's while him, and the team, haven't been paying their best for big chunks of the season. 

Rose tinted or not, you don't have to be a statistician to be able to see that if he's not scoring, he's creating (team player), and if he's not creating, he's scoring (goal scorer). What more could you ask for? 

I supose you could ask for him to be in the top 1. Or the best goal scorer AND goal creator in the league. But thats like saying 'I've got billion dollars, but you know what would be better, a billion and one dollars'. So Sayers the wise man. 

Theres no reason to believe Martin won't be there or thereabouts again next season. There are no particular signs of him slowing down. But **** him right. He's not scored 20 goals this season, time to cut him adrift and buy Luis Suarez instead. 

5 hours ago, eddie said:

Also he had a coach for them first 30 games which ignored his strengths completely that was pretty diabolical management really.

Archived