Chris Martin

Lord_Ram

10 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Does anyone think that Bennet will succeed with Derby?

No, I don't think he will. His improvement in the youth system levelled out rather alarmingly. He's done very little for the U21s when he's played, and he's done very little out on loan as well. 

Think there are youth players already ahead of him, personally.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No, I don't think he will. His improvement in the youth system levelled out rather alarmingly. He's done very little for the U21s when he's played, and he's done very little out on loan as well. 

Think there are youth players already ahead of him, personally.

Id chuck him in, see if he swims! 

6 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Id chuck him in, see if he swims! 

He had chances in a far worse team and didn't swim. 

Struggled to stay afloat at Burton this season too. 

I understand a lot of people wanting to see him because he's been in the system a long time but I'm not that excited by him. If he does well, fair play, but I'd give those limited "sink or swim" chances to someone else given the choice.

13 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He had chances in a far worse team and didn't swim. 

Struggled to stay afloat at Burton this season too. 

I understand a lot of people wanting to see him because he's been in the system a long time but I'm not that excited by him. If he does well, fair play, but I'd give those limited "sink or swim" chances to someone else given the choice.

Fair enough. I liked what i saw of him when clough gave him a few run outs, a few seasons ago. It would be intresting to see if playing in the first team, the quality of players around him gets more out of him. I get your point though!

By the way im no relation to mason bennett lol!!!!!!

21 hours ago, Lord_Ram said:

Been browsing YouTube videos while I'm supposed to be revising and saw this pop up, thought it was worth a watch and really enjoyed it. Just shows how well Chris links our play together, the sheer amount of flick ons and layoffs in the video are amazing, add that to the quality of the flick ons and it reminds you how good and technical he is. The fact that a goal return of 15 throughout the season having created more chances than any other player in the championship is considered a bad season for him just shows his ability

For what it's worth I do think we need another striker to add another dimension/unpredictability, someone who can run in behind (try weimman at striker maybe) for when he's not fit or not on his game. But for now I thought this video was worth sharing to remind people that he's one of the best strikers to have worn a Derby shirt in a while

all credit goes to DCFC Ryan for the video

Once he got a decent haircut, his season picked up. 

#KeepItShortChrissy

Going to get a lot of stick here but he never performs well when we need him the most. Only "big game" that he has performed well was in 2013/14 in the play off semi final. He struggles against defenders who are half decent. Been saying it since he got bullied and given a lesson by Sol Bamba or you can even look to the play off final when richard dunne outsprinted and bullied  him. If he is our main striker then we can forget about the automatic spots. Good championship player? Yes if you build the whole team around him. Good enough to help a team get promoted? Nope.

4 hours ago, rynny said:

As @SkeggyRam says only 2 players in the league had more of a direct contribution to a teams goals than Martin. Gray (23 goals 8 assists) and McCormack (21 goals and 9 assists), Alan Judge was involved in 25 also with 14 goals and 11 assists.

Only other top Rams players, Ince 12 goals 8 assists and Russell 9 goals 8 assists.

Then you are looking at Butterfield (8 & 1) Johnson (5 & 2) Thorne (3 & 2) Hendrick (2 & 3) Bent (3 & 1) Weimann (4 & 0) Christie (1 & 3) Bryson (3 & 0)

Prettyimoressive how much Bent got compared to his minutes in the pitch. I'd like to see his goals to minutes ratio compared with others. Makes you think there's got to be a system where we can include him for more than 5 minutes at a time. Other teams must be thinking 'what a waste'.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Going to get a lot of stick here but he never performs well when we need him the most. Only "big game" that he has performed well was in 2013/14 in the play off semi final. He struggles against defenders who are half decent. Been saying it since he got bullied and given a lesson by Sol Bamba or you can even look to the play off final when richard dunne outsprinted and bullied  him. If he is our main striker then we can forget about the automatic spots. Good championship player? Yes if you build the whole team around him. Good enough to help a team get promoted? Nope.

Last season he performed well in big games against Norwich and Ipswich, 3 out of the 4 times we played Hull he performed great this season and has scored around 20 goals for every season he has been here and contributed to just as many.

Without him in our side Steve McClaren's team would have finished no where near 3rd, we saw what happened without him last season and we wouldn't have finished near the play-offs without him this season.

24 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Very true. The most overrated pants player for years: nice flicks big deal. May as well play a man short every game. No pace no power no shot strolls around dives can't do much with his head (except when defending) won't run onto a pass or chase any ball or even fight for a ball unless his backs to goal, gives the ball away a lot,  a whinger of the highest order: he never delivers when he's needed he has done less than zilch for Scotland which he wisely chose as his country because him for England ? Not a chance. He's a journeyman league 1 or league 2 player at best and is playing one league too high. He leads the line be prepared to never go up. Time for a change so we can actually start scoring goals. Hope we are wise enough to move him out pronto. 

Just now, Ninos said:

Very true. The most overrated pants player for years: nice flicks big deal. May as well play a man short every game. No pace no power no shot strolls around dives can't do much with his head (except when defending) won't run onto a pass or chase any ball or even fight for a ball unless his backs to goal, gives the ball away a lot,  a whinger of the highest order: he never delivers when he's needed he has done less than zilch for Scotland which he wisely chose as his country because him for England ? Not a chance. He's a journeyman league 1 or league 2 player at best and is playing one league too high. He leads the line be prepared to never go up. Time for a change so we can actually start scoring goals. Hope we are wise enough to move him out pronto. 

Every season we have had Martin we have been the:

1st highest goal scorers 2013/14

4th highest goal scorers 2014/15

5th highest goal scorers 2015/16

We do seem to be scoring goals with him in our side.

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Very true. The most overrated pants player for years: nice flicks big deal. May as well play a man short every game. No pace no power no shot strolls around dives can't do much with his head (except when defending) won't run onto a pass or chase any ball or even fight for a ball unless his backs to goal, gives the ball away a lot,  a whinger of the highest order: he never delivers when he's needed he has done less than zilch for Scotland which he wisely chose as his country because him for England ? Not a chance. He's a journeyman league 1 or league 2 player at best and is playing one league too high. He leads the line be prepared to never go up.

So what your saying us you want Connor sammon as our striker?

youll be disappointed.

Chris Martin is one of the best strikers in the championship, no doubt about it. You don't score 60 odd goals in 3 seasons by accident.

Personally, I think he'd do better in the premier league than many other championship strikers who rely on getting many chances and eventually sticking one away. You don't get many chances in the premiership.

Those saying he's been poor against premier league defences might be correct, but we've only seen him against those at the top end of the premier league, not the teams we'd be looking to beat if we got promoted.

Thorne, Hughes and Martin is the spine of a very, very good championship team if you ask me.

30 minutes ago, McLovin said:

So the stats that I showed you and you ignored don't mean anything. He has created or scored 7 goals in 14 against teams in the top 8 this season. Bullied by Sol Bamba but still scored and made him and his partner look amateur whilst doing it. Once again, you build your team around your best players. Why wouldn't you? Sign McCormack you say, nah only looks good cos Fulham play to his strength and build their team around him. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The has to go down as one of the biggest pile of steaming I have had the misfortune of ever reading on any forum. Ever.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The has to go down as one of the biggest pile of steaming I have had the misfortune of ever reading on any forum. Ever.

I think it was @sage who labelled him agenda boy, and I can't think of a better tag!

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

So the stats that I showed you and you ignored don't mean anything. He has created or scored 7 goals in 14 against teams in the top 8 this season. Bullied by Sol Bamba but still scored and made him and his partner look amateur whilst doing it. Once again, you build your team around your best players. Why wouldn't you? Sign McCormack you say, nah only looks good cos Fulham play to his strength and build their team around him. :unsure:

A striker's role is not to assist, it's to score especially if the whole team is built around him.  Mccormack has better stats than Martin in a much inferior team and is a team player. Mccormack's work rate is infectious. If we got him he'd make the whole team play an extra 10%. In the modern game the striker's should be the first line of defence. When defenders play against Martin they can easily bring the ball out because they know who won't challenge them. Again Martin isn't one of our best players in my humble opinion, he looks better than what he actually is because the team is built to suit him which is why he always flops for scotland. We should build the team around Hughes

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A striker's role is not to assist, it's to score especially if the whole team is built around him.  Mccormack has better stats than Martin in a much inferior team and is a team player. Mccormack's work rate is infectious. If we got him he'd make the whole team play an extra 10%. In the modern game the striker's should be the first line of defence. When defenders play against Martin they can easily bring the ball out because they know who won't challenge them. Again Martin isn't one of our best players in my humble opinion, he looks better than what he actually is because the team is built to suit him which is why he always flops for scotland. We should build the team around Hughes

His workrate is so infectious Fulham finished 20th

Archived