Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Uni of Leeds? You’re not the only one up there from here mate ?

And feeling miserable in Leeds is a perfectly normal feeling, it’s a shitehole full of obnoxious dheads. Trouble is, you can get a decent degree there. Every cloud I guess...?

What do you study up here? 

18 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Uni of Leeds? You’re not the only one up there from here mate ?

And feeling miserable in Leeds is a perfectly normal feeling, it’s a shitehole full of obnoxious dheads. Trouble is, you can get a decent degree there. Every cloud I guess...?

10 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Yeah I'm at Uni of Leeds ?  Yeah you're not wrong on any of those things ? 

Peasants.

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Second year mate! In all fairness it’s not too bad, but let’s just say I quickly found out that it’s not just leeds fans who are tosspots- it’s the majority of people up here! 

Whats your PHD in?

Oh nice one ? yeah it's weird as they all pride themselves on it being such a great friendly city and i've never noticed that tbh. The good thing is there are a few cinemas and stuff and the odd decent pub like the fenton ? 

Political theory and Middle Eastern studies ? 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Oh nice one ? yeah it's weird as they all pride themselves on it being such a great friendly city and i've never noticed that tbh. The good thing is there are a few cinemas and stuff and the odd decent pub like the fenton ? 

Political theory and Middle Eastern studies ? 

Oh the city itself in terms of what’s there is actually quite nice, just a shame it’s full of people from Leeds!

Christ that sounds even more complex than my poo!??

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Oh the city itself in terms of what’s there is actually quite nice, just a shame it’s full of people from Leeds!

Christ that sounds even more complex than my poo!??

yeah you're not wrong about that aha ? Nah it sounds more complicated than it is really 

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

Missed out on the Nobel Peace Prize though, they weren’t happy.

They was named the 2nd happiest club recently which they wasn't happy about. This then pushed them down to the 12th happiest club.

The new 2nd happiest club were so overjoyed at moving up that they was then named the 1st happiest club.

The previous 1st place club was pretty disappointed at losing their new title, which in turn dropped them to 8th....

TBC

Anyone got any knowledge, experience and/or comments regarding EMDR therapy?

Currently looking at possibly going down that route for my son, as he's recently had a set back.

In brief, it relates to "Battle related PTSD" and his stints (more so the second stint) in Afghanistan in 2012.  (I won't go into detail if you don't mind.  I'd struggle to type it, and it most certainly ain't for the pages of a public forum anyway!)

He kept his troubles totally to himself for over 4 years, until Dec. 2016, when it all kicked off!  He's since had help via the MOD, including CBT and meds.  After being "On the sick", he was officially signed off from the forces about 18 months ago, and has since been living what appeared to be the life of Reilly on Civvy Street in Cornwall, firstly at a boat building college, and for the past 6 months, actual boat building (Ye Olde Kraftesman Stylee), which is a job he is absolutely loving.  (His time in Cornwall has seen the continuation of the meds, but no further therapy... other than what they taught him to do himself).

Unfortunately though, he's been slipping backwards recently, (unknown to us... again, despite weekly Face-Time's!) until he finally called us for help a week ago, whereupon we went straight down there to bring him home, and mop his brow!  We spent all last week talking to various NHS departments (Now he's a civvy!), and they are now advising this EMDR treatment.  Obviously we'll do some research and talk more with various  experts, but if any of you guys and gals have anything to add... positive or otherwise... I'll be all ears!

For the record, he's calmer than he was a week ago, but still far from ok.  We've seen him worse, but want him better.  Even in their mid-thirties, we parents never stop worrying, do we!  

On the plus side, his employer has spoken to him (during this past week) and his job is to be kept open for him indefinitely, or  "until he says he ain't going back".  That's a massive positive, as of course he wants to go back... if he can find a way to cope with everything else!

Not so much on the plus side, me and his elder brother will be accompanying him to the match on Wednesday, for his first game since Wembley, "in an attempt to cheer him up a bit"!     Oh bugger!  

Cheers.  

14 minutes ago, mozza said:

You can only be there for him mate, thoughts are with you. 

Thanks Buddy.  Appreciated.

That's just it... as a parent, you just feel so helpless, and so hopeless!  Being there is just about it!
There are no wheelchairs to push.  No wounds to dress.  No laces to tie up for them, or a nice juicy steak to cut up for them.  Of course, I wouldn't wish that scenario on anyone, let alone members of HM Forces and their kith & kin, but I'd hope folk reading that get what I'm saying.  With all this "invisible injury" crap, there really is next to nothing we so called parents can do to help, from a practicality point of view.
So very, very frustrating!

I do like positives though, and I honestly think, as gruesome and heartbreaking as it is, it's a positive that we eventually learned of the specific details of what it is that gives him his nightmares... when he does eventually drift off to sleep for a few minutes!  
I guess there are still many that suffer in silence, and ergo, many families that just aren't aware.  It took 4 years, but at least we found out eventually!

Sorry... I'm rambling!

UTR.

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to make a quick point whilst i think about it because i believe this to be VERY important.

Yesterday, looking back at my activity on the forum i was probably at my wittiest (if i do say so myself) and seemingly happiest.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

I spent most of the day waiting on a phone call from my Mum as my Grandma was in hospital getting results from some tests. All day i was in another world with worry. This forum, in particular the Paddy Padster thread was a huge outlet for me in which i genuinely enjoyed in the midst of worry.

There isn't a particularly happy ending to the day either as it seems the results showed cancer. The rest of the day was a blur of giving support and trying to process the news for myself.

I suppose the message is... You really don't know what is going on at the other side of peoples computer screens, so try and be nice to each other.

Also, i suppose i should offer a bit of thanks to @David . For giving us this outlet. However, i must stress, this is the only thing you're good for.

8 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Just want to make a quick point whilst i think about it because i believe this to be VERY important.

Yesterday, looking back at my activity on the forum i was probably at my wittiest (if i do say so myself) and seemingly happiest.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

I spent most of the day waiting on a phone call from my Mum as my Grandma was in hospital getting results from some tests. All day i was in another world with worry. This forum, in particular the Paddy Padster thread was a huge outlet for me in which i genuinely enjoyed in the midst of worry.

There isn't a particularly happy ending to the day either as it seems the results showed cancer. The rest of the day was a blur of giving support and trying to process the news for myself.

I suppose the message is... You really don't know what is going on at the other side of peoples computer screens, so try and be nice to each other.

Also, i suppose i should offer a bit of thanks to @David . For giving us this outlet. However, i must stress, this is the only thing you're good for.

So sorry to hear this bud,

I'm terrible with stuff like this but I'm sure everyone on the forum will agree with me when I say that you're not alone in this.

Treasure your time with your Grandma, be there for her as much as you possibly can.

I lost my Grandad 5 years ago to cancer and my biggest regret is not spending as much time as I possibly could with him.

I seriously hope you and your family are okay, and I hope that your Grandma can beat it.

On 21/10/2019 at 13:23, Mucker1884 said:

Anyone got any knowledge, experience and/or comments regarding EMDR therapy?

Currently looking at possibly going down that route for my son, as he's recently had a set back.

In brief, it relates to "Battle related PTSD" and his stints (more so the second stint) in Afghanistan in 2012.  (I won't go into detail if you don't mind.  I'd struggle to type it, and it most certainly ain't for the pages of a public forum anyway!)

He kept his troubles totally to himself for over 4 years, until Dec. 2016, when it all kicked off!  He's since had help via the MOD, including CBT and meds.  After being "On the sick", he was officially signed off from the forces about 18 months ago, and has since been living what appeared to be the life of Reilly on Civvy Street in Cornwall, firstly at a boat building college, and for the past 6 months, actual boat building (Ye Olde Kraftesman Stylee), which is a job he is absolutely loving.  (His time in Cornwall has seen the continuation of the meds, but no further therapy... other than what they taught him to do himself).

Unfortunately though, he's been slipping backwards recently, (unknown to us... again, despite weekly Face-Time's!) until he finally called us for help a week ago, whereupon we went straight down there to bring him home, and mop his brow!  We spent all last week talking to various NHS departments (Now he's a civvy!), and they are now advising this EMDR treatment.  Obviously we'll do some research and talk more with various  experts, but if any of you guys and gals have anything to add... positive or otherwise... I'll be all ears!

For the record, he's calmer than he was a week ago, but still far from ok.  We've seen him worse, but want him better.  Even in their mid-thirties, we parents never stop worrying, do we!  

On the plus side, his employer has spoken to him (during this past week) and his job is to be kept open for him indefinitely, or  "until he says he ain't going back".  That's a massive positive, as of course he wants to go back... if he can find a way to cope with everything else!

Not so much on the plus side, me and his elder brother will be accompanying him to the match on Wednesday, for his first game since Wembley, "in an attempt to cheer him up a bit"!     Oh bugger!  

Cheers.  

From my limited involvement in the counselling domain I understand that EMDR has proven to be effective for PTSD. 

My supervisor recommended a referral for one of my clients. 

Hope it works for your son. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

From my limited involvement in the counselling domain I understand that EMDR has proven to be effective for PTSD. 

My supervisor recommended a referral for one of my clients. 

Hope it works for your son. 

Thanks @Anag Ram.  Appreciate that.

Looks like he is going to go for this, when he returns to Cornwall.  They have a charity branch of the NHS down there, which specifically deals with ex service personnel/war veterans, and we're hearing positive things.  (It's just bog standard NHS up here in Derby, with no specific expertise in combat-related PTSD, apparently?).

Other stuff to sort first though... not least getting him through this coming weekend of course, which is never an easy time for these guys and gals, who lost a mate or several in battle... of any generation, of course!  

Thanks again for your positive feedback.  Good to hear.   ? 

………………………………………………………………............................
LEST WE FORGET.
May the fallen rest in peace.
May those that return, have the fortune to live in peace.

Edited by Mucker1884