Match Thread - Oxford United (A) - Tuesday 22nd October 2024

Crewton

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Oxford are unbeaten and have conceded 3 goals in 6 games at home. They’ve only dropped points at home to Burnley and West Brom - both comfortably top six sides. They beat Preston, Norwich and Stoke.

Tonight was the most shots they’ve faced in any home game this season. 

Are we saying Burnley, West Brom, Norwich and Stoke aren’t going to win many away if they can’t beat teams as bad as Oxford?

Fair comment, but honestly, apart from their goal, they were bobbins.

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s almost as if sitting solidly mid table on our return to the championship, winning games at home against established champ clubs and now stopping the away rot with a couple of hard fought draws is causing you some distress? 
I suppose we could have played better  tonight, but for me I’ll happily take the second point on the road in a handful of days and move onto a winnable home game on Saturday. 

Stop being so sensible and reasonable CR! We should win every game, walk the league and play flowing football reminiscent of Rotterdam…Some classic comments on here tonight😄😄

A decent point against a team with a good home record, it could have been better, it could have been worse.

The coming few weeks are (as always!!) very important, as our next seven games are all against teams currently below us the league. We need to boost our points tally a lot over those games, because I think we’ll mostly get crushed by the much harder matches in December.

When you take into consideration where we have come from in the last few seasons I think the end justifies the means. We need to stay in the Championship and I’m happy for every point we can get, if we get that point by playing horrible football so be it.

Sometimes the horrible football is hard to stomach especially when we have seen some periods of good quality football this season.🐏🐏🐏

Seventeen away shots is impressive. And twice as many touches than the home team in the opposition box. Objectively we dominated that game, but lacked the composure to finish. A real shame as a win would have meant so much.

image.png.4f6574b7e191483927d8c8f7f8145a73.png

Not a great performance, but we grind out another point, despite the shocking refereeing. Adams may have left his shooting boots at home, but he was still absolutely immense.

I get the feeling that after our abysmal start to away games then subsequent away match results are being judged against a far lower bar....so the consensus is that relatively points against Millwall and Oxford are in fact good results as at least we've got a draw from both games.

Will come back to bite us in the behind if we continue to be pleased with results using this method.

I’m not sure if Adams made Vaulks look crap but he made the goal for us 🤣

good away point

solid performance required against a busy, industrious side 

looked much better second half and NML scores when he plays off the right side . . .

an assist for Yates (who put in a massive shift tonight) to follow his goal. . It’s coming for him 👏 

PG Wodehouse from the directors box.
Ah, Oxford! A place of dreaming spires and a positively spiffing directors’ box, where one finds oneself in the rarefied company of distinguished chaps like Sir Jasper Finch-Farrowmere. A capital fellow, I might add, though one found him in deep confab with Sir David Clowes on a most bewildering topic—a football formation resembling an inverted Christmas tree, of all things. One would have thought the chaps had better things to reminisce about than such tactics, but there they were, waxing lyrical about Steve Bloomer as though the man were still knocking in goals left, right, and centre. Meanwhile, Mrs Clowes, the very picture of style and elegance, fluttered about like a duchess at Ascot.

Now, dash it all, I must contrast this delightful scene with the absolute bally horrors of Millwall hospitality. Professors and dons as far as the eye could see, each more ghastly than the last. One found oneself yearning for the civilised tones of a Derby chant to drown out all that intellectual chunter.

On the field, things were equally stirring. Our man Ebou, let it be said, was everywhere, flinging his noble form about with the sort of abandon that makes a chap want to stand up and cheer. It should have been a match-winning performance, without question. Then, Scarlett, some cunning bounder, managed to slip between Cashin and Nelson, popping the ball into the back of the net in a manner most vexing. But hark! NML—now jet lag free, unleashed a viscous strike (yes, viscous, old bean, for the thing had stickiness to it) that restored the balance. A smashing effort indeed.

The second half, one felt, was all Rams. A bit more polish, a dash more finesse, and we could’ve turned that ruddy draw into a well-deserved win. A commendable away point nonetheless. Louie Sibley—he of the hair flick—nearly caused some fun with a cheeky shot, catching Zetterstrom on the hop, but alas, not quite enough to ruin the evening. One shudders to think what a right corker that could have been.

And now, we turn our sights to Hull at Pride Park. One hopes they don’t unleash some prancing centre-half, waltzing through the midfield like a young Anton Du Beke. That would be enough to make any self-respecting supporter choke on his tea.

Onwards and upwards, what?

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Decent, definitely take back to back points away from home. Second half much better. Encouraging that we are taking battling points away now the fixture list has leveled out.

But now we also need to play like Real Madrid, picking up points now isn’t enough for some 

Edited by Mick Brolly

Honest interview with Warne. Shares the same frustrations as most posters on here. Said he could have made 11 subs at HT and that the first half was “horrific”. Apologised to the travelling fans (for the 1st half). Explained his tactical thinking with playing Adams high up etc 

13 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

When you take into consideration where we have come from in the last few seasons I think the end justifies the means. We need to stay in the Championship and I’m happy for every point we can get, if we get that point by playing horrible football so be it.

Sometimes the horrible football is hard to stomach especially when we have seen some periods of good quality football this season.🐏🐏🐏

A very reasoned comment Elwood, Remember Blackburn away, We went for it and paid for it, Today shows us that being a little safety conscious can bring points, It's just that bit of quality I said in another post that we need to address, Goals will bring confidence that's for sure 👍