Best Derby County signing

Curtains

Two great signings in one photo there (three if you include Stuart Webb in a way).

I'd always say Roy Mac because for less than £20k we got the best CB of his generation, loyal to the hilt and a majestic player to watch.

Many other great signings though in those Clough and Mackay teams and others will choose different players for their own reasons.

All time must be Steve Bloomer.

Living memory, probably Roy McFarland, but you can make a case for about 10 more of the 'golden era' squad.

Recently, must be Fozzy. Although the dude from the IRS signing the freeze order on Chris Kirchner's money transfer probably saved us from oblivion. 

Wanchope for a cheap, out of the blue genius signing? Asanovic for a quality lifting belief boosting genius player.

Paul McGrath. Astonishingly good one season freebie.

Stimac for an inspirational signing to lift the whole club? Dave Mackay similarly.

Fozzy, Steve Buckley, Mickey Forsyth, Geoff Barrowcliffe for long service and sustained impact at full back!

How can you go past The King though? Kevin Hector.

So we start with MacFarland and Todd, although toddy is "soiled goods" for going behind Jim Smith's back to get Jim sacked so he could take over. I would also include Alan Hinton and Kevin Hector from that era. We had an embarrassment of riches with that team!

Then Charlie George, Dean Saunders, Mark Wright, Igor Stimac and finally George Thorne.

5 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

For us younger (50 year olds 🤣) supporters I would say Igor..

I think the very high fee signings count against in this measure as you kind of buying the finished article. For that reason I rule out Dean Saunders and Mark Wright etc.

Younger? We signed him the month of my birth and I’m thirty next year! 👀

Of my generation… probably Martin! 

In his first three season he bagged 61 goals, set another 29 up, first touch was a joke, could hold up play, could link play up, intelligent, could speed play up with his flicks, won free-kicks to relieve pressure - unbelievable really.

And people still moaned because he wasn’t quick or a work horse!

9 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Wanchope for a cheap, out of the blue genius signing? Asanovic for a quality lifting belief boosting genius player.

Paul McGrath. Astonishingly good one season freebie.

Stimac for an inspirational signing to lift the whole club? Dave Mackay similarly.

Fozzy, Steve Buckley, Mickey Forsyth, Geoff Barrowcliffe for long service and sustained impact at full back!

How can you go past The King though? Kevin Hector.

Agree with all those. For slightly different reasons (cost, impact, etc) perhaps also:

- Poom (sort of fits in the Wanchope, Asanovic category as out of the blue (to us, at least)
- Chris Powell (as much as I loved Mickey F, Powell was a better player I think)