Barrow (A) - Match Thread

Sean

Ok, first off wasn't able to watch. Finished work late, fancied a drink at the pub after, didn't feel compelled to rush home as it wasn't a league game.

It's an embarrassing result when you see the lineup, no getting away from that. 

If the performance was equally embarrassing I feel for all those Derby fans that made the trek tonight.

But, and it is a big but. In the grand scheme of things, this game and competition is nowhere near the top of the list.

Yes we want to win every game possible, it can help build confidence, momentum and there are financial rewards to be had the further you go into it, however realistically it was a competition we were never going to even get close to winning.

Our priority this season is clear, staying in the Championship, it's that simple.

Let's also be honest for a second, had we smashed Barrow 5-0 tonight, how much would you take away from that? I'm sure there would be a few, well it was only League 2 Barrow, let's not get carried away type comments.

I think that should also apply tonight after being knocked out, let's not get carried away, this isn't front page sporting headlines, Forest fans will be looking on and taking the piss, as we would them.

It's a just a bit of a disappointment, missed an opportunity to add some cash in the bank with a glamour tie. Disappointments will be the norm this season which we should be mentally preparing ourselves for,  this ain't going to be a 28 game winning season again.

This time next month, Barrow away will be long forgotten.

10 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Which is precisely what you and one or two others have chosen to do tonight. It's pathetic, from both sides to be honest.

On the subject of the game, Warne, sort it and quickly, please. Even the most positive of fans will find nothing to defend in that performance and the toxic atmosphere around the club right now is in no small part down to you. I genuinely hate to be just another angry voice, but a loss against a Championship side I can take, but this was another abject run-out against very limited opposition and in truth, a proper kick in the balls for any fans who travelled to see the game. Joking aside, this is probably the first time I can recall where I'd advocate the club refunding our away fans their ticket money. It really was that bad. 

Yes agreed. I didn't help myself. 

Whether someone wants to put me on ignore or not is their prerogative but please don't convey that to the wider audience as though people are actually interested to score points, just do it. Is really presumptuous that anyone gives a flying. 

The game yes less said about that the better.

I did generate a post earlier trying to derive some positives out of tonight but it really was bottom of the barrel time.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yes I did do that tonight. Shouldn’t have but was just genuinely really fed up seeing the same personal stuff over and over again, so got involved. Appreciate that makes me just as bad but there we go - I wanted to call it out.

Agree with all your points re: the game, though. 

Fair play for being big enough to acknowledge it. We all lose it from time to time, I know I have, but this is starting to feel quite nasty and somewhat different to the individual spats we see quite often. I think we all need to cool our jets a little. We are not enemies. We may be a dysfunctional family at times but the issue here is what ALL OF US are seeing on the pitch, not how we view it.

Mr Warne will perhaps rightly be under some pressure now, so let's try to see how this plays out without slaughtering each other. In football terms, we've all been through the ringer in recent years due to outside influences, so going full nuclear on here is not a prospect I think anyone would savour.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Can Paul Warne recognise quality?

That is a fair question   He prefers ‘character’, commitment and determination. Collins embodies those virtues but a footballer with such an unpredictable first touch will forever struggle in the championship 

4 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Said we needed new faces.

Dom et al on RD said we didn’t need new faces to beat Barrow.

I tend to agree with Dom et al.

Would Dietrich take the job, it’s a famous name, he would be mean, moody, magnificent and would act the part well.

One thing we have usually done well during Warne's tenure is to bounce back after very poor performances. I don't remember many bad runs (but neither too many great runs too).

The team spirit is a massive plus and wouldn't be surprised to see us give everything on Saturday, which will hopefully lead to the desired result.

Edited by ariotofmyown

Blackburn defeat where at times we competed and ultimately lost to a 10 min spell. Boro win against the odds, Watford game where we competed and actually should’ve took something from the game. Lost on pens to barrow in a cup comp we’re not going to win.

Not concerned at all. Only thing I am concerned about is we need a couple in and there is some doubt as to it happening. We have enough to stay up but I think some of us hoped we’d fare slightly better than that, I think Clowes and Pearce need to be more specific about what a competitive budget is, because it sure as hell ain’t competing at the Sharp end of the league or even midtable when the likes of QPR are spending £3m on Dembele who we targeted and who based on what I’ve seen so far would have made a huge difference to us!!

9 minutes ago, Day said:

But, and it is a big but. In the grand scheme of things, this game and competition is nowhere near the top of the list.

It’s not a ‘big but’. If we can’t organise ourselves to beat this lot, what hope have we against Bristol ?

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s not a ‘big but’. If we can’t organise ourselves to beat this lot, what hope have we against Bristol ?

What could make a difference against Bristol is that it's a different match.

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

It is a big but. How many times have you seen Championship sides knocked out by lower opposition in the early rounds?

Literally every season it happens, look at Boro getting smashed 5 nil by Stoke tonight, is their game against Cardiff a write off? 

It’s the cup, crazy s*** happens.

28 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think if this reaction came after losing to Bristol on Saturday then fair enough but we’ve just been beaten by (and not by fluke) a league 2 side. 

My thoughts exactly. We can often point to little things, as in a game with so many moving parts, the devil really is quite often in the detail. Tonight though, I feel I could write a dissertation on our shortcomings, whilst my 'positives' would not fill the back of a postage stamp. Luckily, I'm on holiday this week so I shall grab a beer or 3 and tell myself tomorrow is another day.

I could say it was a poor performance. But I can't, we didn't even manage anything that warrented being classed as a performance. We were lackluster from start to finish. 

The only player to have got near to earning his wages tonight was JWZ. A few others huffed and puffed but never did enough to cause Barrow any problems. 

16 minutes ago, Day said:

Ok, first off wasn't able to watch. Finished work late, fancied a drink at the pub after, didn't feel compelled to rush home as it wasn't a league game.

It's an embarrassing result when you see the lineup, no getting away from that. 

If the performance was equally embarrassing I feel for all those Derby fans that made the trek tonight.

Yes we want to win every game possible, it can help build confidence, momentum and there are financial rewards to be had the further you go into it, however realistically it was a competition we were never going to even get close to winning.

Our priority this season is clear, staying in the Championship, it's that simple.

Let's also be honest for a second, had we smashed Barrow 5-0 tonight, how much would you take away from that? I'm sure there would be a few, well it was only League 2 Barrow, let's not get carried away type comments.

I think that should also apply tonight after being knocked out, let's not get carried away, this isn't front page sporting headlines, Forest fans will be looking on and taking the piss, as we would them.

It's a just a bit of a disappointment, missed an opportunity to add some cash in the bank with a glamour tie. Disappointments will be the norm this season which we should be mentally preparing ourselves for,  this ain't going to be a 28 game winning season again.

This time next month, Barrow away will be long forgotten.

Agree with you sentiments, all of the acidic  comments and heated reactions will be chip paper in the bin tomorrow and a further distant memory if we do beat Bristol City in a few days time. 

The troubling thing was that the performance tonight was embarrassing, when it came to penalties you just knew how it would end up as mentally the players were already beaten by that point.

We didn't believe we would win on penalties and this is how it played out during the game. The players just didn't believe that they could win. In their own minds they were already defeated. I don't know how you can reverse that mentality they just didn't seem to believe in themselves.

It was so fractured, disjointed. No real discernable pattern or game plan. Troubling.

Think we have to give it ten league games.  I'm not a fan of Warne's style/philosophy but the start to the season hasn't been a disaster - you might stretch to saying it's been ok - one bad night in the league cup isn't grounds to panic. 

If we do get stuck in the relegation zone then I'll think again 

13 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Blackburn defeat where at times we competed and ultimately lost to a 10 min spell. Boro win against the odds, Watford game where we competed and actually should’ve took something from the game. Lost on pens to barrow in a cup comp we’re not going to win.

Not concerned at all. Only thing I am concerned about is we need a couple in and there is some doubt as to it happening. We have enough to stay up but I think some of us hoped we’d fare slightly better than that, I think Clowes and Pearce need to be more specific about what a competitive budget is, because it sure as hell ain’t competing at the Sharp end of the league or even midtable when the likes of QPR are spending £3m on Dembele who we targeted and who based on what I’ve seen so far would have made a huge difference to us!!

I’m sorry, but I completely disagree.

We’ve barely been in any of the games we’ve played this season, and I’d include beating Boro in that. 

There’s been some battling performances, but we are absolutely miles off it both technical ability wise and tactically.

We clearly have a much smaller budget than we had been lead to believe, but this is where we needed to be smarter with our recruitment and where coaching in tactics come into play massively. 
A great coach will pull out performances and increase the levels his players are playing at and a great manager will outwit his opposition. 

I fail to see how 2/3 signings would drastically improve the style of play we’re going for. This team needs dramatic changes to be even remotely competitive. 

19 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

But this is what this team does, or has done. They find a way. That said, I have to say that this is a major blow to my belief that we can be competitive, but were we to win, or even just share the spoils against Bristol, I'd not be remotely surprised. I think as much as anything it's that we seem to be several different teams all at once, sometimes in the same game, but I agree with the sentiment expressed by some that losing badly whilst playing well is one thing, but this was very much something else. It's much harder to dismiss concerns after a performance like that, or it is for me at least. I rarely feel too down about the club, but tonight was not pleasant viewing in any way, shape or form.

Edited by Comrade 86

13 minutes ago, Day said:

It’s the cup, crazy s*** happens.

It's not a freak result though is it?

Performances so far in the league have also been poor - the one good result coming from parking the bus and barely venturing out of our own half. Sure, the aim is to stay up, but do you really want to watch that dire, negative form of football, week in, week out?