Paul Warne, managers and plan

Boy it’s going to be a long season if we’re literally having this debate after every single loss!!

Some often forget there are TWO teams on the pitch in a football match and sometimes (particularly where man for man the opposition is better than you) then you are forced to play a certain way. 

We clearly haven’t got a pot to piss in comparison to the better teams in this league which doesn’t help when we’re 2 years into rebuilding from nothing. Unfortunately while we would like to see Derby at the top end of the league playing attractive football, we are years away from it unfortunately. That being said, we have competed in every game with the one game we were truly outplayed ironically being the one we won with an amazing backs against the wall performance. We’ve also played teams who have come out the traps very well in Blackburn and Watford (both of whom will be at least top half) and Boro who will be in the promotion mix. 

I only listened to first half and read summaries but from what I heard we played really well, we competed and with a bit more quality in certain situations we could have got something out of it and probably deserved something against a team which battered Stoke last week, who can bring players like Sema off the bench who on his day is one of the best in the league and should be at a higher level  (we have Collo and we couldn’t even fill the bench yesterday)!!

We’re 15th, i think everyone would bite your hand off if you offered us that now. This is going to be a long slow evolution hopefully with Warne but with someone else if down the line we need a change, but anyone expecting instant change and for us to play McClaren football then you’re going to be disappointed every week, not because of the manager but because your expectation is entirely unrealistic. Remember it took Nige nearly 5 seasons to build that McClaren side. 

9 hours ago, Leecamp24 said:

PW calls the players out for not believing in themselves having spent his entire 2 years downplaying this club and hyping up everyone we play. IMO the bloke is way out his depth and always will be with us

Firstly, whilst it seems to be his style to be polite and diplomatic when talking about the opposition, he hasn’t spent his entire two years downplaying the club. He just shows respect for the opposition- as he will when we play Barrow.

Secondly, it’s more than likely IMO that what he says in public is a bit different to what he says privately to the players. Whilst I suspect PW is one of the more honest managers I still think what we hear is designed specifically for the fan base and not the players. Having said that, I’m sure that his team talks includes comments about the other team’s strengths to be wary of - and rightly so.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’d keep him if we look like we’re going down. He’s a sure-fire bet to get us back up again.

Bizarrely I’d rather we sack him if we are a couple of points adrift in February/March and it looks like he is underperforming, and keep him if we’re eight or nine points adrift and poised for relegation and it looks like the squad just isn’t good enough.

I’d only want to sack him if he is genuinely underperforming.

I think the point you make is very ironic but one I can see DC agreeing with. Afterall he called PW ‘the king of League 1’.

Think we’re in a sticky situation to be honest. A manager whose tactics are negative, a squad that’s bottom 5, a owner who doesn’t have money to throw at it and a fan base that has seen us be the worst team in history, lose two play off finals, admin and probably wants some good times to enjoy.

Dont think PW will go unless we’re getting pumped every week. But I do fear for how next season and the season after that may go.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’d keep him if we look like we’re going down. He’s a sure-fire bet to get us back up again.

Bizarrely I’d rather we sack him if we are a couple of points adrift in February/March and it looks like he is underperforming, and keep him if we’re eight or nine points adrift and poised for relegation and it looks like the squad just isn’t good enough.

I get the logic but would you then sack him when we go up on the grounds he's a sure fire bet to get us relegated ?

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In fairness, we've now played 2nd, 3rd and 9th. 3 points and -2 GD isn't a bad return from that. Judge us when we start playing the bottom half sides.

I was going on what most 'betting odds' have us, one of the favourites for relegation. Then add to that the tactics we've so far employed. Of course that may be different in a couple of months time but I was suggesting that is how it would be seen now to others where recruitment is concerned.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was going on what most 'betting odds' have us, one of the favourites for relegation. Then add to that the tactics we've so far employed. Of course that may be different in a couple of months time but I was suggesting that is how it would be seen now to others where recruitment is concerned.

Betting odds usually show newly promoted sides towards the bottom end of the table (they typically come up with weaker squads than the established sides).

Currently, the bookies have 5 other sides more likely to go down (Oxford, Plymouth, Cardiff, Millwall, Preston).

Tactically, we were naive against Blackburn and I think we'll see it as an outlier at the end of the season. The first game of the season can make it difficult to judge who you'll be playing against and in which formstion - so hard to counter. We were then tight, compact and tries to hit Boro and Warford on the counter - 2 of the better sides in this division. I dount we'll play that way against Cardiff in a couple of weeks time.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Betting odds usually show newly promoted sides towards the bottom end of the table (they typically come up with weaker squads than the established sides).

Currently, the bookies have 5 other sides more likely to go down (Oxford, Plymouth, Cardiff, Millwall, Preston).

Tactically, we were naive against Blackburn and I think we'll see it as an outlier at the end of the season. The first game of the season can make it difficult to judge who you'll be playing against and in which formstion - so hard to counter. We were then tight, compact and tries to hit Boro and Warford on the counter - 2 of the better sides in this division. I dount we'll play that way against Cardiff in a couple of weeks time.

I was talking about the perception of the Club and manager when it comes to recruitment. What you say may very well be true but I doubt most potential recruits will consider it like that.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was talking about the perception of the Club and manager when it comes to recruitment. What you say may very well be true but I doubt most potential recruits will consider it like that.

What perception? If you go by bookies odds, then we'll finish the season just 6 points off 13th spot.

If you go on style of play of the last 2 games, then they won't be listening to what Warne expects of them during games. Even then, a compact defence looking to counter isn't a new tactic (see 17/18 Rowett as just one example), so we'll still be able to sign players ideal for that system.

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What perception? If you go by bookies odds, then we'll finish the season just 6 points off 13th spot.

If you go on style of play of the last 2 games, then they won't be listening to what Warne expects of them during games. Even then, a compact defence looking to counter isn't a new tactic (see 17/18 Rowett as just one example), so we'll still be able to sign players ideal for that system.

If so, and I'm not agreeing with that perception of us, how does that make us sound as a proposition to play for do you think? Edit: the players - 2 loans and a free agent - what can they gain from playing for us will be their question.

Edited by RoyMac5

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think if we go down, he would be sure fire to get us up. However, due to the relegation from the Championship, it would be worth changing approach with someone one else. 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

The point he’s making is you thinly disguise the thread with the topic title and first post then go on to show it’s just a Warne out thread with your following posts clearly from a warne out poster , that’s all well and good but just stick it up as Warne out thread , 3 games in 😂

No you’re wrong, I stated he did his job and got us up. It was more of a, if we manage to survive say the next couple of seasons and become a more established championship team do we want him to then take us forward? To progres the team, make us a more attractive footballing outfit. When and if we get some decent funds, do we want him spending it? Will he make some of our more promising players better etc. Will he have us up there fighting for the top 6 at some point. It was a more of what is the plan with PW if we stay up and maintain our status in the Champ

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or perhaps they may look at the promotion and that obvious spirit both on and off the pitch and want to be part of that. I assume we wont get those who are just choosing on best offer financially as we cant compete. Its no coincidence that some recruits under PW have joined having spoken to former team mates here already. I do find the narrative that its all due to PW tedious and boring. We're struggling in a tough market and sure DC is constantly looking at the scouting/recruitment team but its difficult to comment as we dont know if their priorities have been set to build up the academy, etc etc. 

6 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Who could we appoint that people feel would take us forward?

There's plenty on this thread whom seem to think they know more than Paul Warne about managing a football club, tactics and recruitment.

Would suggest they fill their boots, or as an alternative more appealing proposal wind their necks in. 

Rather have Nigel Clough than Warne and that is not a knee jerk comment.

Both bore the s**** out of me, but I'd be more confident Nigel would be getting in players for peanuts and looking towards the youth setup than Warne currently is.

But that's me and I'll expect several comments berating this opinion in ten minutes time.

I was vocal enough last season about the rubbish we produced on the football pitch, we had the best squad in my opinion great support etc etc but we set up in an unpleasant way to watch enjoyable football against dreadful opposition - but - this season we have a very low budget and survival is the target and Warne is good at getting a group of players to perform as a team and he has to. We should keep him and back him and if we stay up think again but would I give him another contract? I don’t think so, but who would be better? Our owner has been very sensible so far and considers all the available options. UTR