Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

3 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Out of curiosity did you go to the match.I go, but my husband dosnt and when he watches on telly it sometimes seems as though he has watched a different match to me, so at the end of the day everyone has a different perspective of matches.

yep. 

then watched the highlights on tv aswell. It definetly confirms kayden was in our box when the corner came in. Therefore the original posters point praising warne for tactically leaving a quick player up top is not true. 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

If you watched that game and didn't see how incredibly lucky we were, and that was the main reason we won, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I've said that they defended doggedly. It was impressive in the same way as when a lower league team occasionally beats a PL team in the FA Cup by defending for their lives. Some people on here are speaking as though Warne had no other way than to set up like this because Boro have better players than us. They do but we are still in the same division. The other promoted teams Oxford and Portsmouth aren't playing like this.

Out of interest have you watched all 6 matches in full? 

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

yep. 

then watched the highlights on tv aswell. It definetly confirms kayden was in our box when the corner came in. Therefore the original posters point praising warne for tactically leaving a quick player up top is not true. 

I wasnt really commenting on that particular post, but you do make a lot of posts on here, i was really meaning them, but as i say everyone sees matches differently and people can discuss but at the end of the day wont change their own opinion. Thats part of watching football i think.

4 hours ago, Archied said:

I’ve watched football / derby for many years , seen the good , bad and indifferent, over the years I’ve seen so many teams / clubs struggling or stepped up a level with lesser squads and the ones that get out of it and or survive are the ones with a smart manager who strips it back to the basic defend as a team and don’t concede goals , they do that because that is the best way to get a platform to build from , get confidence then expand from there ,, we did that in spades on Saturday, so much so that I really think we have a good shot at doing ok this season , there is not a single manager ( that we could attract ) that I would swap warne for ,

you don’t like it that’s fine , you think it’s all warnes got in his locker that’s fine , I see it differently 🤷🏻‍♂️

Personally, I don't think football is like this anymore. The Championship isn't the relentless physical grind it used to be. Its played at a high, intricate level where you need more than basics.

I guess we'll just have to see who's right, hopefully you are.

For me we need a more athletic James Collins. Someone who will occupy their center backs, can hold the ball but also have pace and athletism (where Collins lacks).

I'd then be happy to let Wash go on loan and even Brown to a league one club until Christmas (to help aid his development).

28 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Rosenior didn't get enough time implement his system. He almost got Hull in the play-offs while playing quite well.

Couldn't give two hoots about Rosenoirs system, the point of my post as you are more than aware is that possession stats in isolation mean absolutely nothing.

We could have had the lions share of possession under Rosenoirs system in a game but if we were passing the ball around from side to side in our own half aimlessly without even remotely threatening the opposition goal then judging the game purely on possession stats means nothing.

Edited by Tyler Durden

For the people who keep saying that we are miles behind other Championship sides, even the other two promoted from League 1, ad-nauseum, what on earth do you expect?

We have had to build the entire club back up from scratch in just under 26 months. What did we have when Clowes bought the club back from oblivion? Something like five under-contract full-time professionals and an academy that basically existed in name only. David Clowes actually said last year that we were as little as one week away from likely liquidation if he hadn't stepped in when he did.

I'd love to see us going toe to toe with the 'big guns' again, but we are where we are at the moment because there is no such thing as a magic wand. Equally, there's no substitute for hard work, a never-say-die attitude and gutsing it out, and that's basically what the club are doing, both on and off the field. I think that by gaining promotion last season we are actually a year ahead of schedule in the rebuild.

Edited by Eddie

15 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure how “unlucky” Middlesbrough were. Having all that possession, a lot of it in attacking positions, but frequently shooting wide isn’t bad luck, it’s poor finishing. When shots were on target, failing to beat a keeper (some claim is no more than a good league two keeper) isn’t bad luck. Even the one that hit the post only got past Vickers because Bradley got a touch on it (if I’m remembering correctly).

As @Kathcairns says, there is an element of luck in most/every game. Boro were clearly the better side and should really have taken at least a point but the reason they didn’t was primarily down to good solid defending and poor finishing, not bad luck.

It’s heartening that @Kathcairns has such influence on your thinking.

Of course she’s right: there are many instances where teams are equal, more or less, and one has just a little more luck than the other and wins. And there are times when one team is clearly stronger than the other but the football gods take against them … and they lose. perhaps because their owner is a w***-er. 

On the day, we were far and away the weaker team. Accept it. It doesn’t matter. These are early days 

Edited by kevinhectoring

15 hours ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

I actually like being the underdogs this year, it will certainly help us. I’ve predicted to lose every game, so I’m not disappointed. Saturday was such a determined performance.

So you predicted we would get 0 points by the end of the season ? 
By comparison Eeyore is an irrepressible optimist 

41 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Couldn't give two hoots about Rosenoirs system, the point of my post as you are more than aware is that possession stats in isolation mean absolutely nothing.

We could have had the lions share of possession under Rosenoirs system in a game but if we were passing the ball around from side to side in our own half aimlessly without even remotely threatening the opposition goal then judging the game purely on possession stats means nothing.

like we did v middlesbrough

23 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Like Warne almost got us in the playoffs in his first season but this should have led to him being sacked according to some.

we were right there with sheff wed, plymouth, ipswich around feb/march time, in the automatic promotion positions. To then not even make the play offs is absolutely on warne

Edited by Chris_Martin

6 hours ago, DE56Ram said:

Except that it admitted to not even having watched the match but was prepared to rip into our set-up, management and chances.

I didn't criticise the management's approach to the match, our set up in the match or the chances we had in the match. The only thing I vaguely said related to the match is that maybe from a long term view it'd have been better to start brown.

I made it clear I hadn't watched the match because I didn't want the points I was trying to make be conflated with the match (obviously that didnt work). When I'm making an argument I try to be as open and honest as I can about where I coming from. I was trying to talk more generally about long term development in football and how it relates to us as a club over the past few years. 

7 hours ago, DE56Ram said:

Upon being challenged stated that it had a ‘hostile’ post lined up but thought better of it?!

You made a dismissive comment based off the first line. I'd started typing out a more hostile response to you to respond in kind. Instead I reflected, thought about why you might have responded in the way you did and made a post that was basically "maybe this was the wrong place/time for the point I was making".

7 hours ago, DE56Ram said:

you're free to tick up or defend whoever you like but this individual is in my opinion a WUM or a non-supporter and Will spread mischief unless challenged.

Mate, flick through my post history and think what you want. My purpose on here has never been to be a WUM. I come on here when I can because I enjoy talking about the club I support, I enjoy getting into discussions with people about the club, I enjoy being challenged honestly. If you honestly think that's what you did then fair enough but to be honest it comes across like you didn't read past the first sentence. 

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Of course she’s right: there are many instances where teams are equal, more or less, and one has just a little more luck than the other and wins. And there are times when one team is clearly stronger than the other but the football gods take against them … and they lose. perhaps because their owner is a w***-er. 

On the day, we were far and away the weaker team. Accept it. It doesn’t matter. These are early days 

Pity i cant influence everyones thinking(including my husbands)🤣

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I didn't criticise the management's approach to the match, our set up in the match or the chances we had in the match. The only thing I vaguely said related to the match is that maybe from a long term view it'd have been better to start brown.

I made it clear I hadn't watched the match because I didn't want the points I was trying to make be conflated with the match (obviously that didnt work). When I'm making an argument I try to be as open and honest as I can about where I coming from. I was trying to talk more generally about long term development in football and how it relates to us as a club over the past few years. 

You made a dismissive comment based off the first line. I'd started typing out a more hostile response to you to respond in kind. Instead I reflected, thought about why you might have responded in the way you did and made a post that was basically "maybe this was the wrong place/time for the point I was making".

Mate, flick through my post history and think what you want. My purpose on here has never been to be a WUM. I come on here when I can because I enjoy talking about the club I support, I enjoy getting into discussions with people about the club, I enjoy being challenged honestly. If you honestly think that's what you did then fair enough but to be honest it comes across like you didn't read past the first sentence. 

If you didn't want your points to be conflated with the match, might have been a good idea not to post it in the matchday thread? 🤔

8 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Personally, I don't think football is like this anymore. The Championship isn't the relentless physical grind it used to be. Its played at a high, intricate level where you need more than basics.

I guess we'll just have to see who's right, hopefully you are.

What I said was basics are the starting point 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s not a question of “influence” (a tad patronising that comment), I just happen to agree.

Why are some people obsessed with “luck”. Failing to hit the target and not being able to break down the resolute defence of a weaker team isn’t bad luck. It’s just you weren’t got enough on the day and the opposition were good enough to hold out against your dominant possession.

I watched the Leicester v Spurs game last night. Spurs should really have blown the Foxes away in the first half but the fact they didn’t wasn’t down to bad luck.

Luck is when something unexpected, and beyond the control of either team”, happens. For example, if a back pass to the keeper hits a divot and bounces over the keepers hands (as happened to Villa I think) or the famous coffee cup incident. Dominating possession and creating a multitude of chances and half chances but failing to convert any of them isn’t necessarily being unlucky.