Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

5 minutes ago, DRBee said:

You really should take consolation from the fact that Bradley is at least  playing much better than this time last year- that should count for something.

Absolutely, and thank god for that. He did well today under the amount of pressure he was faced with. He couldn’t be much worse to be fair!

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

You know what you’re doing. Downplaying Bradley’s ability whilst at the same time overstating Matt Clarke’s because it gives you an opportunity to be negative.

Feels a bit of a personal attack that? I have no desire to be negative, I’m just giving my opinion on a point raised to me. You just have a preconceived view of me which I believe to be unfair.

Edited by Millenniumram

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Feels a bit of a personal attack that? I have no desire to be negative, I’m just giving my opinion on a point raised to me. 

It’s not a personal attack at all, I’m sure you’ll accept you are more pessimistic than you are optimistic.

Bradley didn’t have a good start to last season and I feel a lot of fans have formed an opinion based solely on that. He was solid towards the business end of last season and did his job well today when I’m sure he wasn’t expecting to be so involved.

He’s had a good career and is a good player & I feel he deserves more credit than he gets sometimes.

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

All due respect, comparing Matt Clarke and Sonny Bradley is laughable. The latter couldn’t even get into a League One side last season, whereas the former is probably one of the best CBs to play for Derby in my lifetime. The difference in quality both off the ball and in particular on it is an absolute chasm. 

Matt Clarke was a decent centre half for us, but wow, I would never put him in the bracket your saying, just shows how peoples opinions differ!

25 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

All due respect, comparing Matt Clarke and Sonny Bradley is laughable. The latter couldn’t even get into a League One side last season, whereas the former is probably one of the best CBs to play for Derby in my lifetime. The difference in quality both off the ball and in particular on it is an absolute chasm. 

Having read this, I envy you your youth! 

The first home  league game of any season is special, but for me this one was particularly so.

It is my first with a season ticket, although my first home game was in 1972 versus Liverpool.

Beforehand I was nervous, would my seat be any good? Would the team be any good. Was Blackburn a harbinger of dark days ahead, or an opening day irrelevance? Is Warne up to  a more senior tier? How would the new players gel? Where would the goals come from?

My seat is cracking, East stand upper, row B slap bang on the half way line with superb views.

I would describe the opening as brittle for the rams with Boro’s slick pass and move game impressive and effective, goals looked imminent. Matt Clarke was a beast in defence, Latte Leth and Burgzog fast and dangerous in attack.

Then Christmas day arrived  early , when Boro’s Isiah Jones took his eyes off the opposition and played a crazy back pass which KJ pounced upon. 1 on 1 with the keeper, a thirty yard run, defenders chasing back, the goalkeeper suddenly looking ten foot tall and five foot wide, I’ve seen as many missed as taken. Jackson was the epitome of cool slotting home

And breathe… the relief  amongst the players and crowd was palpable. Losing Cashin and Wilson to injury early in the first half made no difference. Is a manger’s team selection  that important?

The crowd was superb, the team responded and held out making a mockery of the defensive criticism’s at Blackburn. This afternoon, resilience, hard work, application and a plan won the day. I am certain that at the end of the season this will look like a good win against a top six Boro, and that the defeat at Blackburn will sit alongside several other spankings that Rovers will hand out.

A great first day albeit with a reminder that it takes an hour to get out of Car park A.

Edited by popside72

This felt like a pivotal match as we bed into the Championship. Warne is about consistency and grinding out points week after week, and has drummed that into the players. Last season, we sometimes struggled to break teams down while being dominant in possession. Warne has been so keen to bring pace and athleticism into the team, and that could well suit as this season, with less of the ball, but it being easier to be dangerous on the counter.

Today we could have buckled, but we won by being together and playing good football, in adversity losing two defenders in the first 20 minutes. Cashin particularly a huge blow when we were going to need to keep the ball. But Warne can be proud of his lads and the togetherness he brings to the club. And something I would say that I've probably never said before, is that he got the substitutions spot on. 

My take was we deserved the win. People might not get that if they only look at the stats, but it was a joy to see us restrict Boro to desperate long range shooting. We could just as easily have scored another as them bagging one.

Probably the best games for Bradley and Vickers, and what a brilliant thing that is. Hats off to Vickers for not giving up the shirt without a fight. He has to start the next game. 

Referee Madley a right Bamford. Many ridiculous decisions against us to put us under pressure. So we won against 12 men and losing two defenders early in the half. I'm much more hopeful for the season having watched that. 

15 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It’s not a personal attack at all, I’m sure you’ll accept you are more pessimistic than you are optimistic.

Bradley didn’t have a good start to last season and I feel a lot of fans have formed an opinion based solely on that. He was solid towards the business end of last season and did his job well today when I’m sure he wasn’t expecting to be so involved.

He’s had a good career and is a good player & I feel he deserves more credit than he gets sometimes.

I am, but being a Derby fan does that to you. We’ve had very little good times in my lifetime.

Bradley had worse than “not a good start” to be fair. He looked like he’d never played football before. And I think people view his latter season performances as being better than they were because of comparison to that. He improved, no doubt, but not to anything more than a half decent League One player imo. Think it’s rose tinted glasses to suggest any of his performances were better than “okay”. And the red at Northampton did him no favours with fans either.

Don’t really want to discuss this any further, as it’s not relevant to the game today. All I can say is that maybe he will be better in the Championship where he will be asked to do more defending, and spend less time on the ball. His performance today suggests that’s possible.

16 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Matt Clarke was a decent centre half for us, but wow, I would never put him in the bracket your saying, just shows how peoples opinions differ!

For context, I’m 24. The strongest competition to him in that bracket is probably Davies, Keogh and Tomori. He’s up there with those 3 based on performances in a Derby shirt, imo.

Really pleased and encouraged to read the thread and hear we battled hard and ground out a good win. The stream was a complete disaster today, so despite my best efforts, I caught about 60 seconds of the game.

Hopefully we can build on it in the coming weeks. It would be great to get some early points on the board and take some pressure off Warne and the players.

The games don’t get any easier, of course. Watford and Bristol City have both had good starts to the season and will both be dangerous in their own ways. It’ll be a good barometer against two sides we would hope to be more competitive against.

If we could go into the international break on a mini unbeaten run, that would do wonders for confidence around the place.

Very good win and great defending.

Based on the first 2 games, the quality and speed is so much higher than L1. I am sure we’ ll have a few more of those games with lots of defending and precious little chances. My concern though is unless we sign 4 or 5 quality players, we may not end up with the points like we did today, and enough of these to stay clear of a relegation scrap.