Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

I only had 2 on my list. Made the fatal mistake yesterday of relenting on one of them, only to find he's still posting the same inane drivel so off he goes again.

Some of them are just posters I find a bit annoying to be fair 😬

I cba reading some of the pointless crap anymore when I'm just trying to catch up on the forum and gauge the general (sensible) opinion. It's not a pro-Warne, anti-Warne thing. 

7 hours ago, Carnero said:

Absolutely... yet barely anyone except me has picked him in our own line-ups for Saturday... performances should be rewarded in my book especially when we lost the previous game anyway 🤷‍♂️

I think the midfield choice is going to be tough for Warne. Kenzo oozes quality, Ozoh has presence and a touch, Tommo is incisive/energetic/skilled and Ebou is muscle with an often unrecognised degree of velvet glove. That and the forgotten man in Fornah means he has choices to make. 
We have good wide players (if they can actually be fit at the same time ! ) .. Just missing GK certainty, some pace at the back and most critically goal power. 

20 hours ago, The Running Man said:

So just got back home, and I'm gonna chicken peck some thoughts onto my keyboard. A little stressed after Ripley maccies were ruddy useless and took half an hour to make me a chicken sandwich, so hope that doesn't come out in the text...

I predicted a loss, 0-2 I think was my guess, based on the fact that we never seem to turn up for cup games or friendlyies. Not just the fans, but the team too. I was wrong on that, they seemed to put a bit of effort in. We were all over them until their goal against the run of play, I didn't see the Thompson mistake as I was distracted by a child sat near me looking for a bottle of coke she had lost then it all went to pot for a while until Liam made up for his apparent mistake.

After that and in the second half we grew into it, seemed to dominate for chances, if not thoroughly in possession, purely because their goalkeeper had it a lot presumably.

Didn't rate Ozoh much but I accept that my general negativity towards loan singings may have made me bias there, so will accept if people disagree. Though Fozzy was MotM, Wilson did good while he was on, and Brown had a few good chances, gutted he didn't bag one.

Happy with the result overall. Chesterfield fans thoroughly good bantz, probably outsung Derby for 90% of the game but that's down to the club deciding not to open the South stand. I get the reasons for not opening the full stadium, even if I don't agree with them, but not opening the South Stand as well as the East is 100% a mistake. I know so many people who didn't go because they couldnt have a SS ticket and I reckon there's a lot more.

Hopefully a decent draw that gets fans excited in the next round.

I hear what you're saying, but... couldn't you have just opted for McNuggets instead?

42 minutes ago, jono said:

I think the midfield choice is going to be tough for Warne. Kenzo oozes quality, Ozoh has presence and a touch, Tommo is incisive/energetic/skilled and Ebou is muscle with an often unrecognised degree of velvet glove. That and the forgotten man in Fornah means he has choices to make. 
We have good wide players (if they can actually be fit at the same time ! ) .. Just missing GK certainty, some pace at the back and most critically goal power. 

One choice has been made, Fornah is off to Salford on loan.

3 hours ago, McArthur Park said:

Just catching up. @CBRammette your post is lovely and explains perfectly why there is so much more to enjoy about the matchday experience than just the football!  The  bit about chatting with your son before he goes to Uni really resonates with me. Our son is out the other side of Uni now, with a good job and living away from Derby, but the pull of DCFC has remained and he still returns for most Saturday matches and now drives us to away games! Just wanted to say, you may not be finished with the match journey chats yet!

Well that is good to hear. They are quite captive in the car anyway to talk/nag/interrogate etc arent they! dreading the youngest going actually - not for him as he's worked so hard for it and cant wait but we'll miss him

7 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

What is it he is actually trying to do? He's been here 2 years and I still have no idea.

Err...is that a problem with the ex-pro footballer with a near decade long career as a manager who just got us promoted...or with a random fan's ability to comprehend what they're watching? Presumably on the telly.

6 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Just saying he hopes to add better players every window is not a tactical plan. You can say that for every single manager in world football. 

What are derby county at the moment in terms of football identity? All I see is a one dimensional, highly predictable, set piece team that doesnt really know how to press, control a game, or impose themselves on any opposition.

But apart from that ......................

7 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

His ideal approach would be to sit back and catch the opponents on the counter attack

I think the best managers at this level find a way of playing that gets the best out of most of your players. Otherwise you are pushing square pegs into round holes. 

On 14/08/2024 at 02:42, CBRammette said:

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing the new players for the first time live/seeing how they worked together or didnt, I enjoyed seeing Nyambe back, I enjoyed seeing Fozzy being Fozzy, I enjoyed seeing Tommo going from being shaky to finding his feet to scoring a great goal, I enjoyed watching the Chesterfield fans having fun, I enjoyed simple things like how totally chuffed the ball boy was when NML ruffled his hair, I enjoyed the, albeit brief, flashes of how this team could play when they settle, I enjoyed the precious 5 hours there and back in the car with my youngest son, and chatting and laughing with him during the game ahead of him going to Uni, I enjoyed just being back in Pride Park after the summer, and I enjoyed watching and supporting the frustrating team my dad did through thick and thin a couple of weeks after he died. 
I am not being positive for the sake of it, I am not lying but do appreciate that we're on a rebuild and am willing to see where it goes this season and enjoy being at PP for what it is and what it means. Some fans seem to be determined to have a downer on absolutely everything and everyone from the very very start of the season which is their right. But others have the right to be more positive and there really is no need to be quite so derisive of and superior to those who can still enjoy the match and/or match-day generally. Doesnt mean we're wearing rose-tinted glasses or lying and may well be moaning and groaning ourselves if the team doesnt gel, and we're abject with no sign of improvement in in the next 2-3 months but I dont expect to be watching prime Barcelona at this point. 

I enjoyed reading that @CBRammette

Thank you. I enjoyed that some folk out there, especially you, can enjoy themselves.

Sorry about Dad and more importantly for us all, we only live for a short time, and I am probably in the minority in this forum, but I plan to enjoy myself,whilst I am, and the people I love, and admire are around me.

Regarding the majority of the posters on here, they seem to be all blaming Liam for the mistake, that led to the Chesterfield goal.

I watched the game, and with my coaching head on, my supporting head on, my TV watching head on, my I am enjoying the game head on, saw Sonny play an over hit pass at Liam in a dangerous area on the pitch, with Liam in a dangerous position with Chesterfield players around him.

I then watched Sonny try to win or defend the ball back after he knew he’d made a mistake, as did all the coaching staff, and the players on the pitch and some fans watching, as he moved across from the left sided position he’d found himself from his pass, to go to a more central area achieving very little, other than giving the man now in acres of space, more of the actual space, to receive the final pass to go and score the goal.

The Rams then reverted back to giving Cashin more of the ball at the back to bring it out. Sonny also received a ball in the second half where he nearly passed it back to Vickers but ended up giving Chesterfield a free corner, another potential mistake that fortunately for the team didn’t lead to any problems thereafter.

I enjoyed the game and all the positive passing, defending, work rate, pressing, chances created, throughout the team and in the match totally outweighed a couple of mistakes that every day people make in life, because we are all human.

The clock is ticking, I’m getting older, wiser, and I’m enjoying my life and I love Derby County Football Club. 🖤

15 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Does a player having a transfer fee guarantee he's better than one without ?

No, but that's not the point. The point being we weren't allowed to pay one. Regardless of how good or poor a player is, if you aren't allowed to pay fees then the pool of players you can try to sign is greatly reduced in size.

15 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Just saying he hopes to add better players every window is not a tactical plan. You can say that for every single manager in world football. 

What are derby county at the moment in terms of football identity? All I see is a one dimensional, highly predictable, set piece team that doesnt really know how to press, control a game, or impose themselves on any opposition.

Maybe because we are a team in a transitional phase? 

The club hasn't come out and said "this is our plan and we're going to play in formation x.....". That would tell the oppo what we're doing. I see it as a stage in the evolution. One that will take time. What is PW planning for the majority of this season? We don't know as he hasn't told us or the oppo what it is, for obvious reasons. We'll be able to tell more once the window has closed and we see how things play out over a number of games. At this moment, not even PW knows what that will be as he doesn't yet know which players the club will be successful in signing and for which position. He only knows which ones he wants. What he does once the window closes will be dictated by which players the recruitment team have been able to entice to DCFC. He might want a, b and c in but end up with c, d and e. Probably good players in their own right but not in his preferred role which would see him amending the plan he hasn't publicised and won't publicise.

IMO, you, and most other posters, are intelligent enough to be able to come to the above without expecting "War and Peace" length posts covering each and every feasible angle. 

I believe we all know that it's a multi year plan. I believe we all know we won't get told what will happen or when as the right player might not be available so you strengthen a different area now and go for your first choice again in January or next summer. Dissecting posts in a literal fashion and requesting detail when you know nobody knows that detail, especially when you know what was meant in the first place is annoying.

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I enjoyed reading that @CBRammette

Thank you. I enjoyed that some folk out there, especially you, can enjoy themselves.

Sorry about Dad and more importantly for us all, we only live for a short time, and I am probably in the minority in this forum, but I plan to enjoy myself,whilst I am, and the people I love, and admire are around me.

Regarding the majority of the posters on here, they seem to be all blaming Liam for the mistake, that led to the Chesterfield goal.

I watched the game, and with my coaching head on, my supporting head on, my TV watching head on, my I am enjoying the game head on, saw Sonny play an over hit pass at Liam in a dangerous area on the pitch, with Liam in a dangerous position with Chesterfield players around him.

I then watched Sonny try to win or defend the ball back after he knew he’d made a mistake, as did all the coaching staff, and the players on the pitch and some fans watching, as he moved across from the left sided position he’d found himself from his pass, to go to a more central area achieving very little, other than giving the man now in acres of space, more of the actual space, to receive the final pass to go and score the goal.

The Rams then reverted back to giving Cashin more of the ball at the back to bring it out. Sonny also received a ball in the second half where he nearly passed it back to Vickers but ended up giving Chesterfield a free corner, another potential mistake that fortunately for the team didn’t lead to any problems thereafter.

I enjoyed the game and all the positive passing, defending, work rate, pressing, chances created, throughout the team and in the match totally outweighed a couple of mistakes that every day people make in life, because we are all human.

The clock is ticking, I’m getting older, wiser, and I’m enjoying my life and I love Derby County Football Club. 🖤

Thanks for your kind words. Totally with you on the "enjoying yourself" attitude - life is too short to spend it in a spiral of negativity