Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

6 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

But some posters on here would have been happy to see him subbed before his great goal, goes to show  you have got to give players more than 20 mins before making judgements.

Literally nobody on this forum were calling for Thompson to be subbed before his goal. Many were saying he was being knocked off the ball far too easily which, IMO, was true at that point.

Unless we're going to ban any comments about players until they've been on the pitch for at least 20 minutes then you're bound to get opinions on what how they have performed (good, bad and the ugly) thus far. Those aren't judgements, they're observations.

21 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Absolutely... yet barely anyone except me has picked him in our own line-ups for Saturday... performances should be rewarded in my book especially when we lost the previous game anyway 🤷‍♂️

In my defence, I haven't seen the full game so can't judge him on his performance. I feel Osborn's experience will be more valuable alongside Ozoh and Goudmijn in midfield.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In my defence, I haven't seen the full game so can't judge him on his performance. I feel Osborn's experience will be more valuable alongside Ozoh and Goudmijn in midfield.

We are blessed with 5 good midfielders who can rotate just need the creative no 10 to add some flair too

10 hours ago, CBRammette said:

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing the new players for the first time live/seeing how they worked together or didnt, I enjoyed seeing Nyambe back, I enjoyed seeing Fozzy being Fozzy, I enjoyed seeing Tommo going from being shaky to finding his feet to scoring a great goal, I enjoyed watching the Chesterfield fans having fun, I enjoyed simple things like how totally chuffed the ball boy was when NML ruffled his hair, I enjoyed the, albeit brief, flashes of how this team could play when they settle, I enjoyed the precious 5 hours there and back in the car with my youngest son, and chatting and laughing with him during the game ahead of him going to Uni, I enjoyed just being back in Pride Park after the summer, and I enjoyed watching and supporting the frustrating team my dad did through thick and thin a couple of weeks after he died. 
I am not being positive for the sake of it, I am not lying but do appreciate that we're on a rebuild and am willing to see where it goes this season and enjoy being at PP for what it is and what it means. Some fans seem to be determined to have a downer on absolutely everything and everyone from the very very start of the season which is their right. But others have the right to be more positive and there really is no need to be quite so derisive of and superior to those who can still enjoy the match and/or match-day generally. Doesnt mean we're wearing rose-tinted glasses or lying and may well be moaning and groaning ourselves if the team doesnt gel, and we're abject with no sign of improvement in in the next 2-3 months but I dont expect to be watching prime Barcelona at this point. 

My post of the year,sums up all that's great about being a football fan in general and particularly about following and being involved as a derby supporter.

This post should be pinned (preferably to some posters foreheads)

Ozoh would definitely benefit from having Ebou and/or Osborn next to him in midfield short term. I had a couple of people behind me last night moaning about how awful his awareness is on the pitch. They need to understand, he's 19 years old and being asked to play as a sitting midfielder, probably the hardest position to play. He needs a partner in there to guide him along when the going gets tough. I hope Warne and the coaches protect him more because he has shown flashes of genuine quality. 

Midfield will naturally be our weakest area for a while because it's a brand new set of players who will take time to learn each others strengths. I think this is the reason why I would try and play five at the back, Fozzy or Bradley being in there for experience. Elder gives zero defensive protection as a full back. He has never impressed me when he plays at left back. He is good going forward but this is the wrong time to be having two attacking full backs I don't think Wilson is a natural full back either. You are then allowing the midfielder to cover their positions and it's very easy to go all over the place when teams hit on the counter attack. I'm surprised Warne has chosen a back four and I think with the current personnel, a back five would suit us defensively. Let's build some confidence at the back before we go all guns blazing.

10 hours ago, CBRammette said:

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing the new players for the first time live/seeing how they worked together or didnt, I enjoyed seeing Nyambe back, I enjoyed seeing Fozzy being Fozzy, I enjoyed seeing Tommo going from being shaky to finding his feet to scoring a great goal, I enjoyed watching the Chesterfield fans having fun, I enjoyed simple things like how totally chuffed the ball boy was when NML ruffled his hair, I enjoyed the, albeit brief, flashes of how this team could play when they settle, I enjoyed the precious 5 hours there and back in the car with my youngest son, and chatting and laughing with him during the game ahead of him going to Uni, I enjoyed just being back in Pride Park after the summer, and I enjoyed watching and supporting the frustrating team my dad did through thick and thin a couple of weeks after he died. 
I am not being positive for the sake of it, I am not lying but do appreciate that we're on a rebuild and am willing to see where it goes this season and enjoy being at PP for what it is and what it means. Some fans seem to be determined to have a downer on absolutely everything and everyone from the very very start of the season which is their right. But others have the right to be more positive and there really is no need to be quite so derisive of and superior to those who can still enjoy the match and/or match-day generally. Doesnt mean we're wearing rose-tinted glasses or lying and may well be moaning and groaning ourselves if the team doesnt gel, and we're abject with no sign of improvement in in the next 2-3 months but I dont expect to be watching prime Barcelona at this point. 

Brilliant outlook!

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Absolutely... yet barely anyone except me has picked him in our own line-ups for Saturday... performances should be rewarded in my book especially when we lost the previous game anyway 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, different games have different requirements, so it's not unreasonable to switch it up even despite a good performance.

44 minutes ago, Magicman said:

We are blessed with 5 good midfielders who can rotate just need the creative no 10 to add some flair too

This is my thinking, 5 midfielders for two slots then someone that can join defence and attack. I'd prefer Ozoh and Kenzo as the sitters. Ozoh mopping up and Zenzo spraying balls, bring in a number 10 that can then contribute to the goals and assists and we are cooking.

Edited by Castor

Well sitting down to watch football at Pride Park was a novelty! Last night was a job done, and showed progress. on

Reading through the thread it would seem that the cross-hairs which were welded to Louie Sibley's back are on the room, settling temporarily on Vickers, Ozoh and Tommo. Give it a break guys, and give them a break, please.

Re Tommo's mistake - he didn't make one. What happened was that he was passed the ball at cannon ball pace, possibly by Bradley, while he was already marked. Apart from that incident he was fine. What it did highlight is that defending is difficult when half your defence has gone AWOL, so getting both fullbacks to go marauding up the pitch all the time may not be the wisest approach. I think Tommo was MOM with a tremendous display, at one point in the second half he did a full 360 spin while sat on his backside, but kept control of the ball, got up and carried on playing. Talk about tenacity!!!

Ozoh may be a bit wet behind his ears, but seems to play better when he moves further up the pitch, so perhaps deep-sitting CDM is not his best position, but he actually played well, I thought. Chesterfield brought a sub on for the second half who was clearly ordered to sit on Ozoh, and kick bits of his legs away until he couldn't walk. Our man mountain simply shrugged his shoulders and carried on regardless, and said sub eventually went for someone else's ankles instead! Ozoh is going to be such a monster for us this season, with maybe Player of the Season on its way to him.

And although we do still have a propensity for go wide and cross, but there was a lot of variation as well, with loads of passing through the middle, including a couple of "Gorgeous George" passes from Goldmine. However we did also miss a lot of opportunities - two or three times Wilson had the chance to thread the ball through onto one of Browne's many excellent runs off the ball, and he would have been in on goal, with the ball already under control as he got to the area. Browne played pretty well, and virtually every time the ball went into the box, he was there in the right place. There were calls from those around me for him to be replace by Collins because he hadn't scored, but at least he was in the right place almost all the time, unlike Collins who seems to like being striker, midfielder and winger all at the same time - as he was when he came on. It won't take much to  nudge Browne into good form, so well done Dajun!!!

Overall there seemed to be a lot more passing moves than we had last season, and we were a class or two higher than Chesterfield. So although they stroked the ball around quite nicely, we were pretty much able to hold them at bay, restricting them to a few efforts from outside the box. However, against Middlesbrough it is likely to be somewhat more difficult. I can't wait for Saturday, though. Come on you Rams!

17 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

This is one of the posts, not good for tommos confidance is it.

Fortunately I think it's highly unlikely that Thommo would give a flying **** about the inarticulate ramblings of one of our least intuitive members. I don't suppose the poster in question retracted or addressed his comment, did he? I only ask as I put him on ignore the moment I read it.

Perhaps those who push the agenda that the only trolls and WUMs on here are not those criticising Warne and his players , but rather those who allegedly see no issues at all, might wish to rethink their position, especially after reading posts like @CBRammette's last night. Why those who derive some pleasure from watching a game like last night's need to be derided for doing so is beyond me, but in truth I'm at a point now where I'm past caring. 

COYR

Edited by Comrade 86

Thrilled to have won this. With a lot of players bedding in and, hopefully, more to come, as well as academy players pressing for a place the extra games and flexibility early rounds of the Carabao offer are very useful. After the 4-0 preseason defeat, Talk Sport predicted an upset. I wasn't able to follow the game except via flash scores, so feared the worst when it went 0-1. But it sounds as though we were comfortably the better side. 

I was delighted Daj started. A shame he didn't bag a goal, but it seems to me he should probably start against Boro too. Great to hear Fozzy and Tommo played well. Fantastic for Jackson to get off the mark. Good to be giving the manager things to think about. I'm intrigued to see what the team will be at the weekend and how this performance affects it.

Early season league cup game against a banana skin which we normally lose! Hard to see where the huge objections for that performance come from.

My take: 

We were completely dominant without getting the goal our play warranted until they scored. 

For 5-10 minutes after we looked a bit vulnerable but quickly back on terms. 

First half possession and style of play was mostly pleasing on the eye, if lacking in the final product.

Second half we largely controlled the game mostly out of possession. This is where Warne is tactically astute. 

That second half performance was also probably to hammer home the learning from Blackburn when we lost shape and got punished. 

I'm personally encouraged by both games so far and expect us to improve with games and new faces.

1 hour ago, SSD said:

Ozoh would definitely benefit from having Ebou and/or Osborn next to him in midfield short term. I had a couple of people behind me last night moaning about how awful his awareness is on the pitch. They need to understand, he's 19 years old and being asked to play as a sitting midfielder, probably the hardest position to play. He needs a partner in there to guide him along when the going gets tough. I hope Warne and the coaches protect him more because he has shown flashes of genuine quality. 

Midfield will naturally be our weakest area for a while because it's a brand new set of players who will take time to learn each others strengths. I think this is the reason why I would try and play five at the back, Fozzy or Bradley being in there for experience. Elder gives zero defensive protection as a full back. He has never impressed me when he plays at left back. He is good going forward but this is the wrong time to be having two attacking full backs I don't think Wilson is a natural full back either. You are then allowing the midfielder to cover their positions and it's very easy to go all over the place when teams hit on the counter attack. I'm surprised Warne has chosen a back four and I think with the current personnel, a back five would suit us defensively. Let's build some confidence at the back before we go all guns blazing.

100%spot on. I would go for a more solid team too we will make Boro look like Man City otherwise as they are well coached and a good side. 523 would be my pick and play low block and hit on the counter. If we have alot of the ball in their half but do nothing with it and play a back 4 we will be bummed on the counter.

I would go for

Vickers

Wilson Nelson Cashin Forsyth Osbourne

Goudminj Ozoh

Jackson  Collins   NML

Then would instruct wingers to track back annd make a solid bank of 4 when they have it and to attack quickly down the sides on the break. Would almost surrender the centre of the park but be very solid with 5atb and 2 wingers tracking back with Collins holding the ball up for Goudminj just off him feeding the ball outwide to our fast wingers. They are tonnes better than us in the middle so better we set up solid and use our pace down the flanks. That team with a new striker and Adams in looks good as a Warnock style team I fear we are trying to play too expansive with a side not good enough to do it, we lose the ball alot and dont have the pace at the back or ball winners to play like that and be alright.

Midfield would have to run their arses off in a 2 but thats why we have subs for.  I dont like us in a 3 at the moment as none of them can score many or tackle well its better having a counter attacking side that can defend with Wilson a natural wingback as well.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

41 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

This is one of the posts, not good for tommos confidance is it.

Sadly, some folk do seem to like going over the top with their comment (often in a failed attempt at humour). Fortunately, I doubt Thompson reads this forum but if he does, he’s sensible enough to ignore some of the puerile rubbish posted. 

15 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

THEY'RE IN LEAGUE TWO! They outplayed us for large spells in the game. Embarrassing.

Doesn’t matter ( although we weren’t outplayed yesterday) last season we were outplayed lots of time but generally got a result 

15 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Just got home from watching us comfortably and professionally beat a decent and massively motivated side.

I seem to gave crossed into a parallel universe somewhere along the way judging by these opinions.

They never had a kick before the goal, and we created a good half dozen great chances with a rookie striker and a heavily rotated side.

Job done. Signings to come. Enjoy life a bit folks.

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office Thought exactly the same mate

15 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Warne likes the ball to be moved forward at pace, therefore we're never going to be a possession-based side. He likes players to take chances, he likes forward runners and he likes players to play into space. It can come across as less polished, but the ideology behind it is solid - you're always more likely to score against teams when they're unsettled out of possession, recycling the ball backwards and sideways allows them to get into shape and then it becomes a chess match. Ironically, like with Swansea, sometimes the players will keep it so very risk-averse that they can go a match with 4 shots on goal and zero on target because the 'right pass' didn't present itself. 

To me all that's amounted to is getting the ball wide and crossing it in. I'm not trying to by argumentative, that's my honest opinion. there's no intricate tactical plays in the final 3rd, it's just long balls over and over again trying to work a cross. He likes forward runners at times but they run forward and have no idea what to do when they're there. It leaves huge spaces in front of our back line. Our pressing is also a mess off the ball.

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

To me all that's amounted to is getting the ball wide and crossing it in. I'm not trying to by argumentative, that's my honest opinion. there's no intricate tactical plays in the final 3rd, it's just long balls over and over again trying to work a cross. He likes forward runners at times but they run forward and have no idea what to do when they're there. It leaves huge spaces in front of our back line. Our pressing is also a mess off the ball.

Not sure the data from the first two games of the season would back up the long ball comment. Someone better than me will have access to that and happy to be proven wrong.

I see a change in the style of our play, personally, more short passes on the deck and more through the middle. Our desire to cross is still clear and to be fair you could say all four goals we've scored have come from crosses so far... So is it such a terrible tactic? 

As I say I personally think we've altered our style of play but it's early days.

15 hours ago, Andicis said:

I mean it's not a game anyone will remember in a months time. But it's not worth screaming and flailing our arms and legs in a tanty about. It was decent. It's annoying that you feel the need to be so melodramatic about a fine enough performance. 

It was just the straw that broke the camels back for me, and the realisation that preseason has once again been a failure. Its just been so long since I've enjoyed how we play.