A good Championship budget?

RoyMac5

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

David Clowes says we've a 'good Championship budget'. #COYR

Oh and he says 'We want to finish in first place...' So that's what we're aiming for!

He also says 'we want to maintain our position in the Championship and then go from there.'

Lets not get ahead of ourselves taking a jovial DC quoting Brian Clough as a reason to beat PW to death with in a few months time.

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

He also says 'we want to maintain our position in the Championship and then go from there.'

Lets not get ahead of ourselves taking a jovial DC quoting Brian Clough as a reason to beat PW to death with in a few months time.

Almost like he didn't know what he was saying. Ah bless. He's not setting the Club up to be 'also rans'.

Rome really wasn’t built in a day. 

Lower league football is at a crossroads from a money point of view. All I want this season is for us to be “competitive”

that means no relegation threat and some positive progress and solidity. 

I’d hope the following season we would grasp the metal and be looking upwards towards those broad green pastures

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not setting the Club up to be 'also rans'.

Good!  We should be challenging at the top end of the Championship but I also think he was being realistic by stating 'we want to maintain our position and go from there'.

There are a lot of established Championship teams that maybe require 2 or 3 players to make a difference and push on from last season.  We're looking at needing I dunno, 10 give or take? 

Given that we've just signed our first player lets see what the rest of the transfer window brings, but I fully expect a season of consolidation before we even start thinking about the top 6.

It's been what...an hour?

And I'm already thoroughly bored of the millions of arguments to come about what a 'competitive' budget is, every time we lose a match,  drop a place in the table, sign someone,  don't sign someone....

I've never put someone on ignore... but can I do it to a whole thread?

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

It's been what...an hour?

And I'm already thoroughly bored of the millions of arguments to come about what a 'competitive' budget is, every time we lose a match,  drop a place in the table, sign someone,  don't sign someone....

I've never put someone on ignore... but can I do it to a whole thread?

Yes, it's easy - don't open the thread. Not too difficult. 😄

Can't understand why you're not interested about how much spending power the Club has. Getting to the Prem isn't normally cheap.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, it's easy - don't open the thread. Not too difficult. 😄

Can't understand why you're not interested about how much spending power the Club has. Getting to the Prem isn't normally cheap.

Because the same analysis as this year will continue on into eternity,  scrutinising every word for meaning and extrapolating figures to justify different arguments. 

Ultimately last season we could sign Gayle which got other clubs jealous. That ain't happening this season.

I'd guess we will be maybe middle or just below budget-wise,  but regardless I'm only interested in who we bring in and that's that. As long as we are competitive I'm happy.

Endlessly trawling through posts arguing about exactly how much money Clowes is/isn't investing and hypothesising about how much the wages of the players has got boring for me.

Funny old game. When Clowes said we had a competitive budget last season I assumed he meant a top 6 budget and expected a bit more evidence of cash being spent. 

He’s said the same thing this season and I’ve interpreted the other way of us not being bottom 6 but middle of the road.

Think ultimately it will be ‘competitive’ but won’t be in the same universe as Burnley, Sheff Utd, Leeds etc.

Aside from parachute payment beneficiaries, given our turnover we should be a mid table- esque funded club. We will be playing catch-up trying to upgrade our squad from a League 1 team to a Championship team, which will incur costs to do so.

I believe we're low in debt - some suggest we're debt-free, but I suspect the exit costs of paying our creditors post administration have left those debts on our books. Those with better financial acumen than myself ( which will basically be everybody except myself ) will explain what that means on our books.

Let's say hypothetically, we're carrying £20m of serviceable debt that led us to survive as a club, parked for now, our challenge is to operate within our turnover going forward, not adding to that debt and edge ourselves within that budget to promotion.

Incidentally, does any financial whizz know what debt is on our books?

Anyway, if we don't increase that debt and look like we could get promoted in the coming years, that amount would look like a pin-p**** for any potential takeover buyer looking to buy a Premier League club. I'd imagine the bidding would start at £100m in such a scenario.

Should that happen, DC could cash out, safe in the knowledge  that he'd saved us and pass the buck to deeper pockets.

We need to spend wisely and carefully this season, but within our turnover. I'd guess a max £1m transfer fee, most likely less.

Given that we were nearly extinct 18 months ago, I'll take any budget that lives within our means. We're not in a position to increase debt. Just spend what we can afford and see where that leaves us. Spend every penny carefully and we can still afford to enjoy our football at PP with 25,000+ crowds.

We nearly lost this club with grandiose expectations. JUST LIVE WITHIN OUR MEANS. Whatever that budget is, it's our maximum.

What is a "good championship budget" is very subjective. I suspect it will be a mid level/average championship budget though as we can't compete with teams with parachute payments. So we need to have some level of realistic expectations.

6 hours ago, ossieram said:

Clowes should never had said we have a decent budget. 

This will only be used as a stick to beat Warne with by those who think league 1 is his level if we are not challenging for promotion after 5 games. 

It's his stock answer; told us the same at the Fans' Forum back end of last year, before we were anywhere near getting there.

It's his way of saying "mind your own business" but there are folks on here picking every word apart as if there's some secret economic formula attached to a few bland words.