Nicest ever Derby players?

Posted (edited)

Spurred on by a lack of football, a thread in The Jim Smith Room about celebs, and a need for recognition and validation, what Derby players were/are fabulous people?

Not necessarily good players (although they could be), but great human beings?

I'll kick off with Roy Mac, Big Roger, and Ron Webster. 

Edited by Bob The Badger

Conor Sammon, sponsor awards night, invited due to who I worked for at the time, sat on his own no one was arsed about a him, sat just asking what I did etc a real top guy even stayed when the rest of the players had gone! A good guy 

Kevin Hector. He was our postman for a few years, and lives/lived in Allestree, about a mile from me. He is a really nice guy, and happy to talk with anybody and everybody. A friend of mine lived just along the road from him, and knows him well. Apparently he lives in Spain, so whether he still has his Allestree house I don't know.

Also Brian Clough! AS I drove along Ferrers Way I had to negotiate a Mercedes SLK just stopped in the middle of the road with the driver's door open. Cloughie used to live in Ferrers Way and had simply stopped his car, got pout and was talking with his former neighbour. My wife met him in the Co-op on one occasion, and he offered to buy my middle son some sweets - he was only about 3 years old, but my wife desisted so it didn't get the las into the habit of getting sweets off strangers! And on another occasion he was stood behind an old dear at the till, in the same Co-op, and she was fiddling about trying to fish a loda of shrapnel out of her purse, and it was taking ages, so he simply paid for her whole load of shopping.

it's the Derby way!

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Curtis Davies

Agree on this met him on holiday a few years back! Proper genuine guy and spoke to us for about 20 mins wasn’t long after the Villa Wembley final. He did say he didn’t think frank would leave tho 😂

Exiled down south, I recently went to a charity match: Saints legends versus IoW legends. 

My son, his two friends and me spoke with Matt Oakley for a good few minutes before the players got changed for the game. He was absolutely brilliant with us, just a really nice, genuine guy. 

I told him that I was gutted when he left Derby - true, I was. He said he never wanted to leave but when Adam Pearson came in as director from Hull, he was forced out, so he joined his mate, Steve Howard, at Leicester.

I asked him what he thought of wee Billy because I was never a fan. But Matt Oakley said that Billy Davies was brilliant for him, really supportive in the dressing room. 

He is now a coach with big Darren Moore at Port Vale. Loving that but agreed with me that the big fellah was poorly treated by both club and fans at Wednesday.

Matt went on to boss the game, MOTM, even with some very good players around him.

One other ex-Ram, who played in the game but for the Isle of Wight team, was none other than Gary Rowett. Again, he had all the time in the world to chat with me and the disabled footballers I was with. Again, I didn't enjoy his time as manager of Derby, but he was great as a player in the Jim Smith era. I have to say though, he was a lovely person with us.

As a kid, I used to sneak into the players lounge at the BBG after games to get some autographs. Chris Powell had all the time in the world for me, every week. Some players made it clear it was a chore (but would still sign), but Chris seemed to genuinely enjoy the interaction.

The only negative interaction I had there was with Middlesbrough player Phil Stamp, who already seemed half cut and got a bit aggy because I wasn't interested in his autograph. Arrogant p****.

Of recent years, I've had really good experiences with Curtis Davies, Ian Taylor and Steven Davies (who, for a professional football, was a complete cheapskate but quite shy). I've not met him, but I've been so impressed with the attitude of Ebou Adams and I get the impression he's just a lovely guy.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Curtis Davies

Saw Curtis on Wembley way before Villa, it took him forever to get to where he was going as he stopped for everyone. What a guy.

Dave Swindlehurst was great with us junior Rams, he might have just been doing his job but it seemed fantastic at the time.

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Kevin Hector. He was our postman for a few years, and lives/lived in Allestree, about a mile from me. He is a really nice guy, and happy to talk with anybody and everybody. A friend of mine lived just along the road from him, and knows him well. Apparently he lives in Spain, so whether he still has his Allestree house I don't know  

Add to this Steve Cross and Phil Gee. Played a couple of games(with Kevin as well )for the Derby Royal Mail team… all lovely guys. 

Robbie always had time for everyone and was always at charity events. 

Agree with everyone that mentioned Roy Mac. Met him at a Royal crown Derby Xmas do about 40 years ago and got talking to him at the bar, after about 20 minutes,  his wife and my ex were up asking where the drinks are.

Marco Gabbiadini is a cracking bloke who always stopped for a chat,  used to bump into him and his missus on markeaton park when we both had babies in prams and we'd talk football and the women would talk babies. 

Posted (edited)

Clyde Wijnhard. Met him at an under 21s match many years ago. He had gone along just to watch. Lovely chatty guy about all things, not just football. I’ve always remembered how friendly and down to earth he was. 

When I met this seasons Derby team, Ebou Adams and Connor Hourihane really stood as being genuinely nice people. A few of the players came across as only being there because they had to be, but Ebou and Connor seemed to genuinely enjoy being at the awards night. 

Edited by B4’s Sister