Transfer rumours

3 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Dom confirming that we’ve missed out on top targets. 

Who’d of thought leaving it til the last minute when this could happen is a good idea.

Back in May PW said things would go down to the last few days. Now fans seem surprised that it's, well, going down to the last few days.

I saw stage 1 of the Clowes era as gaining promotion to the SBC. Job done. Done inside two years when you're under a transfer embargo means the pool of players you could go for is drastically reduced.

Stage 2 is building a successful SBC squad. We're doing that while wishing to remain sustainable and self sufficient. Consolidate this season and avoid relegation. Next season, improve the squad again and finish comfortably in midtable. 26/27 further improvements and have a go at top 6. Season after, if we haven't achieved promotion, that will be a season where we really should be in with a shout. Those are the steps that seem logical given everything DC has said. I'm comfortable with that approach.

There will be those who think we ought to be competing towards the top this season. I don't think we had the money to achieve that. I'd love us to be top 6 come May but, in all honesty, I'm not expecting it.

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Dom confirming that we’ve missed out on top targets. 

Who’d of thought leaving it til the last minute when this could happen is a good idea.

Teams from the premiership will want loans going to teams who play similar football. No point in loaning a player to a team who don’t hold onto the ball and if boro is how most games go to sit back and hold on for 78 minutes. Just my opinion of course 

not helping we are competing with established championship teams and also bigger budgets 

Edited by Barney1991

So when these players all come to look around Moor Farm or Zoom call Warne, do they not already have a cost/price tag on them? Why show them around if we can't afford them? Or is it that we have champagne tastes and beer money?! 

Strikers are rare as hens' teeth - and no doubt there'll be half the championship chasing the same half dozen targets.

Please, let's not sound like spoilt children here. Yes, it's fine to be disappointed, but gone are the days of us being at the top of the tree when it comes to being a desirable destination, especially financially.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So when these players all come to look around Moor Farm or Zoom call Warne, do they not already have a cost/price tag on them? Why show them around if we can't afford them? Or is it that we have champagne tastes and beer money?! 

Prices & costs can change at any point

Just now, ollycutts1982 said:

Let us not forget that we have a striker in Yates who hasn't been available to us yet. Obviously we all want a striker, as do the other 23 team in the division. We need a plan B for sure but as of yet we don't know what dynamic Yates will add.

I can guarantee that certain posters will know exactly what we'll get from Yates before he has pulled the shirt on in a competitive match.

10 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Teams from the premiership will want loans going to teams who play similar football. No point in loaning a player to a team who don’t hold onto the ball and if boro is how most games go to sit back and hold on for 78 minutes. Just my opinion of course 

not helping we are competing with established championship teams and also bigger budgets 

I'm not anti Warne (although i'm not pro Warne either). However, if you're correct then maybe we need to appoint somebody who does play the 'right way' so we can complete in getting good youngsters in.

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

I can guarantee that certain posters will know exactly what we'll get from Yates before he has pulled the shirt on in a competitive match.

You'd think Warne might know too. Is that why he wants another striker? 😄

13 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Back in May PW said things would go down to the last few days. Now fans seem surprised that it's, well, going down to the last few days.

I saw stage 1 of the Clowes era as gaining promotion to the SBC. Job done. Done inside two years when you're under a transfer embargo means the pool of players you could go for is drastically reduced.

Stage 2 is building a successful SBC squad. We're doing that while wishing to remain sustainable and self sufficient. Consolidate this season and avoid relegation. Next season, improve the squad again and finish comfortably in midtable. 26/27 further improvements and have a go at top 6. Season after, if we haven't achieved promotion, that will be a season where we really should be in with a shout. Those are the steps that seem logical given everything DC has said. I'm comfortable with that approach.

There will be those who think we ought to be competing towards the top this season. I don't think we had the money to achieve that. I'd love us to be top 6 come May but, in all honesty, I'm not expecting it.

I don't expect us to be top half, but i don't think targeting a Nigel Clough like finish should be unreasonable, especially as our budget is 'competitive'. 

Don't see many other teams scratching around with over a week to go.

9 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Strikers are rare as hens' teeth - and no doubt there'll be half the championship chasing the same half dozen targets.

Please, let's not sound like spoilt children here. Yes, it's fine to be disappointed, but gone are the days of us being at the top of the tree when it comes to being a desirable destination, especially financially.

They aren't unicorns either. 

Why are other clubs that aren't swimming in the big bucks able to make signings in good time?

44 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I'll wait to hear the context of the interview with Dom, but suspect this is somewhat of a crisis meeting based on missed targets and the club not getting things over the line (as touched on by Dom in his replies). Objectively speaking, we are one of the weakest sides in the league and I think there is a deep concern from the management/coaching staff that the team is simply lacks depth & quality to avoid a dog fight at this level. 

The question is now, what do we have to fall back on in terms of recruitment - simply put: have we done enough to access other targets? Do the club throw money at it now in the final week to try and plug the gaps in quality with players they can get into the building quickly. Do we just go with what we have, in the knowledge that if we are relegated at the end of the season we simply haven't killed ourselves financially and rebuild again in the summer?

Realistically, we are lightyears away from being able to compete at the top end of this level so I wouldn't want us to kill ourselves financially or burden David Clowes more than he already has done. Frustratingly, I do think the sensible play is to suck it up, chalk it up to not doing enough within our recruitment strategy and brace ourselves for potentially another stint in the third tier. 

12 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Couldn't it be more specific where clubs may look to develop certain attributes of a loanee's game? Playing industrial football still has plenty of learnings- organisation, physicality, defensive solidity, quick transitions etc. 

I get your point, an uber-creative Trequartista from a total footballing side- we're not likely the best place to develop that type of player. But not every type of potential loanee fits this brief so I'm hopeful there's still options.

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I don't expect us to be top half, but i don't think targeting a Nigel Clough like finish should be unreasonable, especially as our budget is 'competitive'. 

Don't see many other teams scratching around with over a week to go.

Maybe you’re not looking very far.