Transfer rumours

I'd be in two minds about Liam Cooper: on one hand, he's a centre back who is very much established at this level and has typically been playing at the top-end of the division in a good team. He's generally thought of as a leader, he's played in the Premier League and he's not exactly over-the-hill. 

The other aspect is that he very definitely doesn't tick any of the boxes that we wanted in a centre back, he's far-from-quick and I've never been enamoured by him as a player. I always felt that he was ok, at best, somewhat a liability at worse. Again, I completely understand this is for a team at the top end of the Championship, opposed to a team looking to stay up in the division. It's another short-sighted, compromised signing who is available and helps bring a body into a position of need. He's another player who has struggled to stay fit over the past two, three years. I guess that he's never been out with a serious injury, but certainly prone to niggling injuries. He adds to what we have, but doesn't bring the skillset that the club believe they need. 

If it was me, I would encourage the club to stay on task: bring in a centre back with mobility. 

Edited by Ambitious

11 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd be in two minds about Liam Cooper: on one hand, he's a centre back who is very much established at this level and has typically been playing at the top-end of the division in a good team. He's generally thought of as a leader, he's played in the Premier League and he's not exactly over-the-hill. 

The other aspect is that he very definitely doesn't tick any of the boxes that we wanted in a centre back, he's far-from-quick and I've never been enamoured by him as a player. I always felt that he was ok, at best, somewhat a liability at worse. Again, I completely understand this is for a team at the top end of the Championship, opposed to a team looking to stay up in the division. It's another short-sighted, compromised signing who is available and helps bring a body into a position of need. He's another player who has struggled to stay fit over the past two, three years. I guess that he's never been out with a serious injury, but certainly prone to niggling injuries. He adds to what we have, but doesn't bring the skillset that the club believe they need. 

If it was me, I would encourage the club to stay on task: bring in a centre back with mobility. 

Agree if we didn't have Bradley this is would be definitely the type of experienced centre back we would be after but surely he'd want some hefty wages after spending time in the prem in recent years. I can recall Blackburn struggling to agree terms with Cooper last month and ended up with Danny Batth.

I actually think this would be a good singing, at the moment if we wanted to play 3 at the back which we will some games it means we have 0 centre backs on the bench as fozzy and Nyambe are fullbacks by trade. Cooper is definitely still championship level and on a year contract it’ll get us over a problem with rooneys injuries and lack of funds left to get a centre back in. I doubt he wants high wages and certainly would suit sitting in and fighting like a dog in games. He won’t be strolling in and benching Cashin that’s for sure. If it also means we can get a loan left back now aswell as we can only have 3 more loans if we want all our loans in the matchday squad it’s another bonus to this potential signing. 

52 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The ideal situation is someone like Nathan Jones comes in for Bradley - we then bring in Cooper and a young mobile CB… pieces don’t fall into place as nicely as that though. 

17 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I actually think this would be a good singing, at the moment if we wanted to play 3 at the back which we will some games it means we have 0 centre backs on the bench as fozzy and Nyambe are fullbacks by trade. Cooper is definitely still championship level and on a year contract it’ll get us over a problem with rooneys injuries and lack of funds left to get a centre back in. I doubt he wants high wages and certainly would suit sitting in and fighting like a dog in games. He won’t be strolling in and benching Cashin that’s for sure. If it also means we can get a loan left back now aswell as we can only have 3 more loans if we want all our loans in the matchday squad it’s another bonus to this potential signing. 

Totally agree but no singing please until Owen87ITK says "welcome to Derby" after his signing!

Cooper would be a good signing. He was playing semi-regularly in the premier league the season before last. He’d certainly push Cashin and Nelson for a place in the starting 11. 

I doubt there’s much in this rumour though. But it is nice to have a rumour, regardless of how tenuous.