Transfer rumours

13 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Surely we aren't done on permanent signings (?)

Quite a few good freebies available I'd have here eg Norwood, Egan, Connolly...

I'm slightly concerned at our lack of permanent signings with potential resale value.

I honestly thought this pre-seaon we would see Mark Thomas paving the way for us to sign a number of 22-26 year olds, from league 1/2 and potentially non-league.  With the hope of building their value, to either provide success or the potential to sell for more than we purchased.

Without external investment our only real hope is to generate money from a big sale every year, like we were doing with Hendrick, Ince, Vydra etc.

So, hopefully, our own young kids can step forward this year and grow in value.

When it comes to player selection I’d take Peter Taylor over Mo Bobat any day. A picture paints a thousand words so watching a player and backing your intuition always trumps endless data analysis. And it doesn’t matter so much if your selection pool is limited to free agents and loans. In theory Derby should be able to compete with most clubs apart from those on parachute payments, but it doesn’t feel like it at the moment.

We may yet be pleasantly surprised if the powder has been kept dry rather than the panic we see at other places.

Edited by Matchday Fred

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm slightly concerned at our lack of permanent signings with potential resale value.

I honestly thought this pre-seaon we would see Mark Thomas paving the way for us to sign a number of 22-26 year olds, from league 1/2 and potentially non-league.  With the hope of building their value, to either provide success or the potential to sell for more than we purchased.

Without external investment our only real hope is to generate money from a big sale every year, like we were doing with Hendrick, Ince, Vydra etc.

I am more concerned about staying up rather than worrying too much about resale value.

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Seems like the Zetterstrom deal has been in the offing for a long time now, so I'd assume it was decided before these payments were a reported a couple of weeks back. If that's the case, then perhaps a fee for Dembele, or similar might be feasible as well as a couple of Premiership loans. We might even be in the market for a permanent signing to bolster our CB options, preferably a lad who has scope to improve and a turn of foot.

I'd hope we'll also hold a little back for the January window, where we might need to strengthen further. Whatever way we look at it, it was a really pleasant surprise and £2.7M is a fair bit more than some estimates I read. Might our luck be changing? 🙏

We have to hold money back for January. Worst case scenario— Warne leaves before Xmas and a new manager wants to then build a team that suits his style .

26 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

With Kenzo and JWZ I guess they are the players who will be have been identified to come in hopefully play well and then be moved on for profit.

If we add 2 or 3  each year we’re doing good, that’s also to add to Kane Wilson, Eiran Cashin and Tommo who if they continue to develop can be sold on. We also then have Dajaune and D.Robinson who will hopefully go out on loan and come back and be integrated into our squad and be developed to use then sell. 

We are at step 2 in a long term plan and need to be smart in who we bring in to look at long term gain whilst not jeopardising the short term.

19 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If you sign a bunch of e.g. 28 year olds with a view to only staying up then you’ll only have to replace all of them again if you want to progress further. 

It’s a constantly transitioning situation, those 28 year olds give us a couple of years meaning we can move on the 30 somethings the following year whilst promoting the academy players and adding more mid 20 somethings. The club IS still recovering from almost going bust and can’t do it all in one fell swoop based on what the senior decision makers are saying in their interviews. 

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s a constantly transitioning situation, those 28 year olds give us a couple of years meaning we can move on the 30 somethings the following year whilst promoting the academy players and adding more mid 20 somethings. The club IS still recovering from almost going bust and can’t do it all in one fell swoop based on what the senior decision makers are saying in their interviews. 

Absolutely, was more of a general point. I don’t think you can completely disregard resale value because you think you might be in a relegation battle (nor do I think we have at all, btw). 11 signings like Goudmijn and you’ll probably lack nous, 11 signings like Adams and you’ll hit a natural glass ceiling. 

The way for the club to progress fundamentally is to create assets to sell, be that from the academy or buying young players. 

According to that Percy article, the sell on fees we received have covered the signings we’ve brought in (obviously there’s other costs too, wages etc).

In which case I would find it odd if we weren’t to/can’t make any more permanent signings. There must have been some budget before those fees. Unless we’re running a much tighter ship than we realise.

Edited by RamsFan10

Why do so many on here appear so keen to condemn anything the club do. 

So far, almost everything Clowes has done has benefited the club with very few wrong moves, and it seems to me that he is applying his business acumen to a football situation. He has a plan and he is backing himself to get the right people in to action that plan.

So instead of jumping the gun and giving us all the benefit of, what is after all, just an opinion on how things should be done, let things play out for a while.

I think that's the least David Clowes has earned after the success of his tenure so far

2 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

According to that Percy article, the sell on fees we received have covered the signings we’ve brought in (obviously there’s other costs too, wages etc).

In which case I would find it odd if we weren’t to/can’t make any more permanent signings. There must have been some budget before those fees. Unless we’re running a much tighter ship than we realise.

It was reported a month or so ago that the sell on fees weren’t factored into this summer’s budget for transfer dealings. So those sell on fees are there to be spent in January or next summer. 

1 minute ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Why do so many on here appear so keen to condemn anything the club do. 

So far, almost everything Clowes has done has benefited the club with very few wrong moves, and it seems to me that he is applying his business acumen to a football situation. He has a plan and he is backing himself to get the right people in to action that plan.

So instead of jumping the gun and giving us all the benefit of, what is after all, just an opinion on how things should be done, let things play out for a while.

I think that's the least David Clowes has earned after the success of his tenure so far

I agree - Clowes should never feel any fan pressure to put any money into the club after purchasing us when he did. He is free to do whatever he wants in my eyes, providing the club has a future. 

He's done this twice now, I fear the interviews where he talks about 'good budgets' is a rod for his own back. He doesn't need to say it and it raises expectation from supporters - who knows might even work against us in negotiation. I personally expected more on the back of that interview and I imagine I'm not the only one. 

It might still come, who knows. I think in the future he should probably refrain from it as it adds no purpose other than heighten expectation. 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

It was reported a month or so ago that the sell on fees weren’t factored into this summer’s budget for transfer dealings. So those sell on fees are there to be spent in January or next summer. 

Cheers, didn’t spot this. 

But still I think it seems odd we wouldn’t use the cash/adjust the budgets if we were desperate for a striker now.

Hopefully we’re eyeing up some good loans anyway.

13 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

But still I think it seems odd we wouldn’t use the cash/adjust the budgets if we were desperate for a striker now.

Know what you mean. Would seem prudent if that money would enable us to get a certain target. Maybe it wouldn’t, and it’s simply competition and opportunities that’s deciding it. Guess we will see by the end of the window. 

34 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I guess it all depends on the availability of players & then the price we value them at rather than if we can actually afford them

I would definitely like to see one or two more permanent signings come in.

As others have said, if we just plug the gaps with loans in order to survive this season, we're going to be in the same position again next summer.

That is of course unless the academy grads step up. It looks like we're just pinning our hopes on Brown and Robinson there though.

7 hours ago, Rampant said:

£15m for Osula is madness. Reckless, irresponsible madness. 

Tyrese Campbell looks excellent but, as with John-Jules, you can't justify good money and/or wages on somebody whose history suggests they aren't available for many games each season. 

Osula is crap the games in a mess if he’s worth 15m complete joke 

34 minutes ago, thischarmingram said:

Interesting that sounds from the club were that we’d be ‘competitive’ yet the unknown sell on fees have covered the cost since! Unless we seal 3-4 marquee signings I don’t see much more than a real struggle UTRs

In reality we are never going to compete with any club that's been relegated from the premier league in the last 3 years or any club with a billionaire owner who wants to push FFP.  That leaves maybe 8- 10 clubs we can compete with in terms of transfer without a big sale or further investment.  We are basically competitive for a mid table finish assuming we can bring in enough of the right players that those other clubs want.  We haven't yet and that's disappointing, mainly in the forward area.