Josh Murphy - Signed for Portsmouth

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Everything I put on this thread is accurate.  This was the case a couple of weeks ago.  I've never seen any comment from Derby on players they've made offers on for years, not even a fee which is always undisclosed.  It all comes out through media as likely a week or so before if anything.  You'll be wholly disappointed if your waiting for the club to comment on offers before they've signed anyone. 

To be honest I don't take any notice of ITK  postings on here or anywhere else, they are usually b******* anyway. I only believe it when the club says it's so. I used to hear about all incomings years ago when my old man was big mates with the groundsman at Raynesway. However that was long ago and far away so I don't believe anything these days unless I get it first hand.

12 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Pompey fans seem very happy about the signing as well. Not sure I would be.

Fans typically get excited about incoming players regardless, only a few really even allow themselves to think-on the negatives. We have all done it here and had he signed we would've had a number of happy fans. 

You can go back through the thread and see that most of us were uncomfortable and didn't like the link, but had he signed I'm sure that would've changed. 

1 minute ago, BobdeBilder said:

To be honest I don't take any notice of ITK  postings on here or anywhere else, they are usually b******* anyway. I only believe it when the club says it's so. I used to hear about all incomings years ago when my old man was big mates with the groundsman at Raynesway. However that was long ago and far away so I don't believe anything these days unless I get it first hand.

And even then it's not always what it turns out to be. I had a mate who was a groundsman at Derby and he text me one morning and told me that we had signed Luke Freeman, who at the time would've been a great signing so I was buzzing. 

It turns out it was Kieron Freeman that we had signed, not Luke. Not as exciting. 

We've been down the Josh Murphy road before. £15-20k per week plus a chunky signing on fee for someone in my opinion who wouldn't vastly improve the squad, considering how much money we'd need to pay him over a 3-4 year contract. He had a purple patch near the end of the season but apart from that he did nothing of note. 12 goals and assists in league one, not great considering how much money he's looking for.

Dodged a bullet.

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

And even then it's not always what it turns out to be. I had a mate who was a groundsman at Derby and he text me one morning and told me that we had signed Luke Freeman, who at the time would've been a great signing so I was buzzing. 

It turns out it was Kieron Freeman that we had signed, not Luke. Not as exciting. 

I know an ex-groundsman at Derby; he told me one of the Pride Park goal posts had been incorrectly installed and was actually taller than it should be and they only found out months later. 

Non of the teams relegated from the premier league have been linked to this lad and sure he has a history with the manager ala every Rotherham player warne has managed .

His wages look to be a hefty sum which is great for him.

The aim of our club is to be back in the top flight sooner rather than later.

The entire board and coaching staff will be fully aware of the expectations of the fan base so another decade of championship football is going to be difficult to sell.

Especially when there are sides who go straight through this league after promotion from the third tier , as we've done before and Ipswich last season.

Can this player bring the necessary upgrades to get promotion within the timeline of his new contract?

Kinda feels unlikely.

All the best to him but there seems to be little upset that we've lost out ......if that's even the case .

The players we bring in will probably be slightly under whelming on face value until they get on the pitch and perform.

A per last season with Curtis Nelson.

No real clamour about his arrival but what a player he's turned out to be. 

And if we consider how we did things several years ago under Burley, Idiakez, Smith, Bisgaard and Rasiak hopefully that's the way we go.

51 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

That's fine.  I'm not ITK on everything that happens, no we are interested ins, just on when concrete offers have been made or things fall through.  Loans of youngsters for instance is very much the home clubs decision rather than show you round and make your mind up, so accurate information on those is literally on the day or a very short period before.  We made offers to two players who've gone elsewhere though. That's a worry.  Vaulks would have been a very decent signing for our means.   

29 minutes ago, Taribo said:

I know an ex-groundsman at Derby; he told me one of the Pride Park goal posts had been incorrectly installed and was actually taller than it should be and they only found out months later. 

They found out the goals at Molineux had been too small for about 40 years.  Did Leeds hit the post against them in 72.  That would be an awful shame.

Whilst not overly keen on the idea to begin with a reliable ITKer named him as someone who'd been shown around Moor Farm, which is good enough for me to believe we did want him to sign for us. Possibly we only saw him as a squad player though, and only had him in so early through convenience, who knows. 

Missing out on Josh Murphy isn't on the face of it a 'big deal' (unlike his reported contract at Portsmouth which as stated looks daft considering his output over 2 years); it isn't much of a concern.

What would be a concern is if the demands of Josh Murphy are representative of the demands of our other prospective Championship signings. We're mostly a bit meh about him but if a player we're not excited about is looking for those sort of numbers what will the ones we are excited about be looking for?

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Whilst not overly keen on the idea to begin with a reliable ITKer named him as someone who'd been shown around Moor Farm, which is good enough for me to believe we did want him to sign for us. Possibly we only saw him as a squad player though, and only had him in so early through convenience, who knows. 

Missing out on Josh Murphy isn't on the face of it a 'big deal' (unlike his reported contract at Portsmouth which as stated looks daft considering his output over 2 years); it isn't much of a concern.

What would be a concern is if the demands of Josh Murphy are representative of the demands of our other prospective Championship signings. We're mostly a bit meh about him but if a player we're not excited about is looking for those sort of numbers what will the ones we are excited about be looking for?

The figures quoted are for a 29 year old, who thanks to a once in a season performance against Bolton, saw his stock rise by a massive amount, and realised this is his last chance for a 'nice little earner' before he hangs up his boots.  If we weren't prepared to pay him what he thinks he's worth then he can jog on.  

Demands of younger, hungrier players (the type that Warne has stated he wants) won't be as high...

A lot with this deal remains to be seen in terms of whether we have missed out well and truly.

On the face of it, Murphy wouldn’t have been an obvious improvement on what we already have (NML, Barkhuizen, CBT). I would be more disappointed if we missed out on someone like Dembele, for example.

However confidence and momentum are huge factors in player performance, so we can’t dismiss it as a bullet dodged either. He has skills that can be effective at both League 1 and Championship level and it’s reasonable to think he could thrive in the Championship if Portsmouth create the right environment for him to carry that momentum and confidence forward.

In the Championship, it’s very common for a seemingly average looking player to explode under the right coach or in the right team or in the right circumstances.

27 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

The figures quoted are for a 29 year old, who thanks to a once in a season performance against Bolton, saw his stock rise by a massive amount, and realised this is his last chance for a 'nice little earner' before he hangs up his boots.  If we weren't prepared to pay him what he thinks he's worth then he can jog on.  

Demands of younger, hungrier players (the type that Warne has stated he wants) won't be as high...

...perhaps not, it was only an 'if'. 

What I would say though is that the younger players we're talking about will likely have quite a few suitors, amongst them will be teams willing to push the boat out / risk their future while we remain commited to sustainability.

It's unlikely you're going to get those players on anything less than 3 year deals. There are also transfer fees  and PL.loan fees to consider - we've been good at working out clever deals but again, other teams will still adopt our old method. It's not just the wages it's the overall package.

Money usually talks in the end, we need Warne in full charm offensive mode to turn the tide in our favour.

3 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

We've not "missed out" , he's gone to play for a former team mate , done, gone , close the thread ?

20 hours ago, SSD said:

We've been down the Josh Murphy road before. £15-20k per week plus a chunky signing on fee for someone in my opinion who wouldn't vastly improve the squad, considering how much money we'd need to pay him over a 3-4 year contract. He had a purple patch near the end of the season but apart from that he did nothing of note. 12 goals and assists in league one, not great considering how much money he's looking for.

Dodged a bullet.

Totally agree. He turned down a £14,000 a week deal at Oxford which would have made him their highest paid player ever, so the amount Pompey are paying him is going to be much higher. Speaking to Oxford fans I know they say he was garbage for the entire first half of Oxfords season so I suspect he's just another Nick Blackman. We really have dodged a bullet.