UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Only Southgate could play football that sends a glass eye to sleep. But as the tournament goes on he comes back in to favour because inexplicably Portugal and France have been just as bad.

I always thought the too many matches narrative was a load of tosh but on this summers showing it could be the case.

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

How has Southgate managed to change the formation to try and improve things and still picked Tripper over TAA at RWB?

Southgate just doesn’t trust him defensively, and being tight defensively makes up the majority of our game plan.

Trippier is on a yellow, so if we get through but Trippier is booked I expect Walker will move to RWB and Guehi will return rather than actually play TAA in his best position.

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Asking too much of the players apparently,  Should go straight to shootouts as their being pushed to the limit.

Perhaps think about getting rid of all those friendlies after the season and preseason tours of America and Australia first.  Maybe take less wages and go back to a straight European knockout in the "champions" league and get rid of the new Europa league which has about 20 matches to play to win it.

Maybe have a world cup without 64 teams.

Just a random thought like. 

Pretty much exactly this! 
The big clubs want guaranteed access to games in Europe - a knockout tournament means an unfortunate tie of Real Madrid against Bayern Munich in the second round might mean one team is out that year.
C’est la vie, as they say.  The losing team wasn’t good enough to win this year. Concentrate on winning your league and try again next year.

But the loss in revenue might mean they can’t afford all the top players?

Might mean more good players are spread across the top division and that could reduce chances of an elite monopoly?  Sign me up.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Srg said:

How has Southgate managed to change the formation to try and improve things and still picked Tripper over TAA at RWB?

TBF, if the only option at LWB is Saka, then I too would want to balance that with a more defensive RWB, because it's likely Konsa will get pulled over to the left to help with defensive duties.

If Shaw was fit and available I'd go TAA at RWB. 

All about getting the balance of offence vs. defence.

If we have Saka and TAA as wingbacks, I fear we would get overun.

Edited by therealhantsram

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Only Southgate could play football that sends a glass eye to sleep. But as the tournament goes on he comes back in to favour because inexplicably Portugal and France have been just as bad.

I always thought the too many matches narrative was a load of tosh but on this summers showing it could be the case.

So it isn't only Southgate that plays football that could send a glass eye to sleep, and it's actually how a lot of the top international teams play...well I never

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So it isn't only Southgate that plays football that could send a glass eye to sleep, and it's actually how a lot of the top international teams play...well I never

To be fair I don’t rate Martinez either and Deschamps has credit in the bank for winning the World Cup. 

Germany and Spain have both shown how top national sides should be playing.

4 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

To be fair I don’t rate Martinez either and Deschamps has credit in the bank for winning the World Cup. 

Germany and Spain have both shown how top national sides should be playing.

Doesn't Southgate have any credit in the bank then?

Well good luck to Germany, look forward to seeing who they have in the next round...

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not only has he not played Trent, he’s also left Trippier on the left and put Saka RWB 😂 😂 😂

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Christ almighty, how are we 5 games into this tournament and we still have Trippier at LB? And Saka at RWB? What the actual f*** 

Seems more like the only difference is that he has told Walker and Saka to play more defensively 🤷‍♂️