UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

You don't give yourself an out ball if you've parked everyone 22 yards outside of your own goal and you won't push up the pitch if you refuse to engage until the opposition has crossed the half way line. Thats not an accident, the players were told to do that. 

Thanks for everything Gareth, but it's time for someone else to have a go.

Spain were tactically better, Found more space and used the ball well, Williams MOTM for me, We huffed and puffed and were a little short in finding space, Score a lovely goal then concede back to Spain.

A goal line clearance got the heart beating but alas no joy, I really believe we have to believe in our talent players, Not going to diss Kane but in todays world you need someone who can get in behind defenders rather than standing off them.

The Toney's and Watkins of this world and add Palmer in and we're getting there, We have some outstanding players, Now we now need to know how to use them...over to you Mr Potter 😊  

Hard to deny Spain were worthy winners. Not only beat all the best teams, but did so in superior fashion.

2-1 flattered England.

But you can’t blame Southgate too much for this game. I get we were defensive, but our midfield were never going to control this game.

Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden are all runners. Athletic. Rice is more hybrid.

But Spain’s trio of Rodri, Fabian and Olmo are all technical players on the ball. They were always going to pass, move, recycle, control. After Pedri and Gavi, Spain’s next best Zubimendi is also more technical than our lot.

The gaps just got too big second half. 

We really didn't need Pickford hoofing the ball to Saka or down the middle of the pitch along the floor when we are tiring. 

Some of the "negativity" was more likely tiredness. Tired players retreat. Whether the game plan was positive enough from the start (to sacrifice Foden and Bellingham) is arguably but tiredness was a real factor in the second half. 

Kane was appalling. How he kept is place is shocking. 

There was a point in that second half where Saka(?) stole the ball in final third and put a relatively weak ball cut back to the penalty spot. Kane was strolling in on the edge of area. If you're not matching the energy of Saka or Laporte then feck off. Useless. Didn't win one challenge. Offered nothing for anyone else. Made everyone work harder. 

We all saw the Spanish vulnerability all tournament. Especially at LB. But both fullbacks and counter football in general were a problem for them. Don't feel like we did enough to expose them. 

1 minute ago, Alph said:

There was a point in that second half where Saka(?) stole the ball in final third and put a relatively weak ball cut back to the penalty spot. Kane was strolling in on the edge of area.

That was just before he went off. It was proper dire.

3 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Spain were tactically better, Found more space and used the ball well, Williams MOTM for me, We huffed and puffed and were a little short in finding space, Score a lovely goal then concede back to Spain.

A goal line clearance got the heart beating but alas no joy, I really believe we have to believe in our talent players, Not going to diss Kane but in todays world you need someone who can get in behind defenders rather than standing off them.

The Toney's and Watkins of this world and add Palmer in and we're getting there, We have some outstanding players, Now we now need to know how to use them...over to you Mr Potter 😊  

We were better when Kane came off

Congratulations Spain, best team on the night and in the tournament, so a fitting winner. The odious theatrics do them no favours - if they just let their football speak, they'd be admirable - but sadly that's how it is now.

Runners-up is no disgrace, though I think they'll regret not being able to really have a go at Spain bar at the end and immediately after the equaliser.

Well done Spain. Much the better team unfortunately. What great play from Cucarella for the assist. A fullback sprinting down the wing on 86 minutes is exactly the sort of positive play I'd love to see from England and the cross was slide rule perfect.

England's goal was great. We really needed to continue to apply the pressure afterwards, but we reverted right back to defensive football. It feels like we were playing for penalties at times in this tournament. I wouldn't mind if Spain had markedly better individuals, but they don't.

Overall Southgate's reign has been massively positive. It's the only period during my lifetime that England have had a genuine chance of winning anything. Yes, he probably should've got one of these tournaments over the line,but I don't really want to twist the knife right now.

13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Another final lost to Southgate's negativity.

Or, a final lost to the best team in the tournament.

I'm no Southgate fan but we need a bit of perspective for this particular game. 

Not going to go over the top but he's got to go, anti football only works until you come up against a good team like Spain, so eventually any tournament he's manager we'll lose a game and never win anything it's as simple as that. Time for a change.