UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's just a case of picking a stat to fit your agenda.

Aye, now we're on to "wins in Extra time and after penalties aren't relevant"

15 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Pickford ( though he scares me)

Saka                     Walker        Stones (though he scares me)     Guehi           Shaw

Mainoo                                  Rice

Bellingham                                      

Toney                           Palmer

That team wins the tournament.

We’ll see more shaw

kane will remain

shame trippier ain’t nippier

he’ll pick rice in a trice

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sven’s win record at major tournaments inside 90 minutes was 50%

Southgate’s win record inside 90 minutes is 48%

In Sven’s reign we faced Nigeria, Sweden (x2), Argentina, Denmark, Brazil, France, Croatia, Switzerland, Portugal (x2),Trinidad & Tobago, Paraguay and Ecuador.

In Southgate’s reign we have faced Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, Colombia, Sweden, Croatia (x2), Scotland, Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark (x2), Italy, Iran, USA, Wales, Senegal, France, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia and Switzerland.

Southgate’s record doesn’t look too good given the crap we have played and we have a less than 50% win rate in 90 minutes.

Sven had tougher games with a more selfish bunch of players.

Sven never got past the quarter final stage with a better squad.

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Yeah but all the teams he played against were brilliant and in Bris' top 10 at the time?

I suppose you could say that Sven suffered disproportionately from an absence of the rub-of-the-green : Seaman/Ronaldinho 2002, Seaman again 2004, Wagomania/Sneaky Ronaldo 2006. But undoubtedly he couldn't get his big beasts to perform and let the whole thing become a circus.

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sven’s win record at major tournaments inside 90 minutes was 50%

Southgate’s win record inside 90 minutes is 48%

In Sven’s reign we faced Nigeria, Sweden (x2), Argentina, Denmark, Brazil, France, Croatia, Switzerland, Portugal (x2),Trinidad & Tobago, Paraguay and Ecuador.

In Southgate’s reign we have faced Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, Colombia, Sweden, Croatia (x2), Scotland, Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark (x2), Italy, Iran, USA, Wales, Senegal, France, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia and Switzerland.

Southgate’s record doesn’t look too good given the crap we have played and we have a less than 50% win rate in 90 minutes.

Sven had tougher games with a more selfish bunch of players.

But does it matter if we win in 90 or 120, as long as we win. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

It does if you're @ramit in Iceland they cut out extra time for a political broadcast 😁 

Yeah and left begging fellow Rams for updates but receiving only laughs

Much to my further embarrassment I found out after the game that extra time was indeed televised, but on RÚV2

spacer.png

Edited by ramit
typo

Posted (edited)

Pinched from the BBC.

A German referee once criticised over his match-fixing past by Jude Bellingham will officiate England's European Championship semi-final against the Netherlands on Wednesday.

Felix Zwayer, 43, will lead an all-German refereeing team.

In 2021, when Bellingham played for Borussia Dortmund, the England midfielder was fined 40,000 euros (£34,000) for referencing the official's previous ban for match fixing.

Zwayer was given a six-month ban in 2005 after he was investigated for taking a £250 bribe from official Robert Hoyzer.

…………£250 seems cheap, even at 2005 rates! 🐏🏁

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from the BBC.

A German referee once criticised over his match-fixing past by Jude Bellingham will officiate England's European Championship semi-final against the Netherlands on Wednesday.

Felix Zwayer, 43, will lead an all-German refereeing team.

In 2021, when Bellingham played for Borussia Dortmund, the England midfielder was fined 40,000 euros (£34,000) for referencing the official's previous ban for match fixing.

Zwayer was given a six-month ban in 2005 after he was investigated for taking a £250 bribe from official Robert Hoyzer.

…………£250 seems cheap, even at 2005 rates! 🐏🏁

How many Mark Clattenbergs does £250 buy you?

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

7 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Having watched many of the games so far I have to say the tournament has been one of the most tedious I have seen. I'm too lazy to look back at previous stats but it seems to me there have been less shots on target, less normal time goals, in fact less moments of excitement full stop!

Teams have become too good at pressing and defending.

I think we need Wenger's proposed changes to offside pretty damn quick.

It will stretch the game, creating more space in midfield leading to more goal opportunities all round.

12 hours ago, Gaspode said:

People praise Southgate for the spirit and togetherness but I wonder if he's just been lucky that his tenure has coincided with St George's Park coming fully online as the real home of the various England squads of all age groups. They now all share the same accommodation, train together, and as famously predicted when it was set up, share the same England DNA - perhaps the real credit for the change in fortune should lie with Greg Dyke who had the vision to see what needed to change to make us competitive....

I'd say the biggest factor is the change in Premier League footballer culture. The players at the top clubs have much friendlier relationships now than they did 20 years ago. I expect social media has played a large part in that.

Southgate definitely took advantage of that and fostered a brilliant team spirit in 2018 through to 2022. One of the disappointing things about this tournament is how the whispers seem to suggest those close-knit bonds are no longer there to the same extent. Though I expect the siege mentality has brought them closer together again, and I hope the penalty shootout victory will have helped too.

Simple point I was making wad Sven and Southgate have very similar records, and IMO, we have a better squad now and Sven had harder fixtures.

Southgate’s record on paper only looks more impressive because his defeats (to the best teams) happened at a later stage in the competition. He has had a luckier draw.

Sven lost 4 games - France, Brazil, Portugal x2

Southgate has lost 4 games - Belgium, Croatia, Italy and France.

They both have very similar win % records, and have a common theme of losing to anyone ranked in the top 10 in the world.

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

Our squad is better now, and Sven’s team had tougher fixtures at the 1/4 stage.

Sven’s 1/4 final opponents - Brazil (winners), Portugal (runner-up) and Portugal again (semi-final).

Southgate’s 1/4 final opponents - Sweden (ranked about 20th), Ukraine (ranked about 30th), France (runner-up) and Switzerland (ranked about 20th)

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Our squad is better now, and Sven’s team had tougher fixtures at the 1/4 stage.

Sven’s 1/4 final opponents - Brazil (winners), Portugal (runner-up) and Portugal again (semi-final).

Southgate’s 1/4 final opponents - Sweden (ranked about 20th), Ukraine (ranked about 30th), France (runner-up) and Switzerland (ranked about 20th)

It depends what point you want to pick as Sven's best, but it's not. This is probably Southgate's best squad he's had to work with, for Sven it'd be 2002 or 2004. In 2002 we finished 2nd in our group so naturally had a harder run. If we topped the group, we'd have met Turkey in the quarters instead of Brazil, so that was one opportunity missed to get past the last 8. 2004, again finishing 2nd after conceding two in added time to turn a win into a defeat v France. We therefore missed out on a potential run of Greece, Czech Republic and then Portugal in the final.

Sven had the likes of Seaman, Neville, Terry, Campbell, Ferdinand, A. Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham, Owen and Wayne Rooney at his best. His pool of players was far superior and the fact he never got past a quarter final is pretty poor.

28 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It depends what point you want to pick as Sven's best, but it's not. This is probably Southgate's best squad he's had to work with, for Sven it'd be 2002 or 2004. In 2002 we finished 2nd in our group so naturally had a harder run. If we topped the group, we'd have met Turkey in the quarters instead of Brazil, so that was one opportunity missed to get past the last 8. 2004, again finishing 2nd after conceding two in added time to turn a win into a defeat v France. We therefore missed out on a potential run of Greece, Czech Republic and then Portugal in the final.

Sven had the likes of Seaman, Neville, Terry, Campbell, Ferdinand, A. Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham, Owen and Wayne Rooney at his best. His pool of players was far superior and the fact he never got past a quarter final is pretty poor.

We finished 2nd in our group in 2018 and had a far easier run.

Sven’s 2002 group was dubbed the group of death at the time with Argentina, Nigeria and Sweden.

A far cry from Iran, USA, Wales, Panama and Tunisia.

I think we have a better squad now. Others may disagree. We had a better left-back and centre-backs under Sven, but we have a better right-back, midfield and wide forwards now.

Our bench options are far better now. Back then we were bringing on Emile Heskey and Darius Vassell.