Pre season

It was what it was, the only real perspective I can give is that I thought Chesterfield looked more match sharp, but maybe the context is that they had a 3-0 defeat at the weekend I think their fans and Cook would expect a response. We looked leggy towards the end of the 1st half, they kicked on in those moments oand similar happened in the second half.

Warnes comments about the defending for the second goal are interesting, didn’t look great at the time but im wondering whether he hauled Bradley off at half time rather than it being a planned sub. Have to say, and maybe the likes of Rooney not playing influenced the reason Bradley started, but I didn’t think him starting was the best option anyway. Bradley could’ve been one of the ones coming on at 60 mins because he’s not the type that needs to run around for a half, he’s experienced and knows his capabilities. Don’t get why youd have him in a different group to Foz, Collins, Barkhuizen and point was probably proven for the second goal. But anyway, could be interesting what happens at the weekend now and whether Warne gets the response he wants.

Edited by TuffLuff

18 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

It's going to be a long old season again, isn't it? 😂

No.

It'll be a very short season if we don't win every friendly easily. I'll be taking my season ticket to Brailsford and sticking it through David Clowes letterbox by the beginning of August.

I've supported this club for over 50 years but losing a pre-season friendly crosses a line in the sand for me.

Ho hum, its been like this since some daft t*** invented tinternet. Friendlies never mattered until about 10 or 15 years ago.

A couple of other notes as they occur.

-I think most of the time in football, if you can look at your squad and think ‘that’ll be a problem’ then it tends to be a self fulfilling prophecy. With that in mind, we are in some similar scenarios to last year, most notably 

-we lack LB/LWB cover and therefore lack a bit of natural balance,

-we lack a bit of pace defensively.

-we have players that don’t really fit a 3-5-2 and Mendez-Laing especially can look a little lost.

But to finish with a positive. I  do think we tried to do the right passes and movement, it just wasn’t necessarily with the right finesse.

Edited by TuffLuff

10 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

One final point before bed, whilst he’s not the only one Thompson is looking a lot more bulky and like a professional footballer rather than an academy kid. Dare I say, but think he has the ability to be a stand out player next season.

He’s not an attacking threat. For all the tidy little bits of play - we just can’t carry him.

Harsh but that’s the world we’re in. Full of players who are poor offensively and a midfield who would have a tag line of played 40, scored 2, assisted 3, this is what Thommo is.

Its fine if you have 2 x 20 goal strikers and a midfielder with scored ten but sadly, I’m not even sure we have a striker who will get ten.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

He’s not an attacking threat. For all the tidy little bits of play - we just can’t carry him.

Harsh but that’s the world we’re in. Full of players who are poor offensively and a midfield who would have a tag line of played 40, scored 2, assisted 3, this is what Thommo is.

Its fine if you have 2 x 20 goal strikers and a midfielder with scored ten but sadly, I’m not even sure we have a striker who will get ten.

That’s how our whole midfield is looking which is fine if you are playing with two twenty goal strikers in the championship 

Dislike losing any game but it’s a friendly and experimentation time nothing more.

That said I never expected a spectacular start to the season, no matter who we bring in. I have a sense that Warne likes slow cooking to arrive at his formula, there’s a methodical feel to his team building, all will be well. Just not expecting it to be straight away. 

6 hours ago, Red_ram said:

I couldn’t really understand why Goudmijn was the deepest lying midfielder and Adams the furthest most forward. Felt like we lacked that defensive shield we get from ebou and also the ability of Kenzo to manoeuvre in tight spaces in the offensive third. Unless it was for a high press, they felt the wrong way round.

Quite possible that PW knows his players’ strengths and wants to see them improve the other parts of their game.

Friendlies are experimental. It’s common for unusual results to occur. One would hope that the last friendly before the season starts will be more reflective of where we are.

Just a pity that Ozoh, who may already be feeling he’s taken a step down, has seen such a poor version of us.

There’s no doubt that the squad has improved and will improve further when we add to our attacking options. Just needs a while to bed them in.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

No.

It'll be a very short season if we don't win every friendly easily. I'll be taking my season ticket to Brailsford and sticking it through David Clowes letterbox by the beginning of August.

I've supported this club for over 50 years but losing a pre-season friendly crosses a line in the sand for me.

Ho hum, its been like this since some daft t*** invented tinternet. Friendlies never mattered until about 10 or 15 years ago.

I remember under Brian Clough it was reported in the paper that we lost 10-0 to Real Mallorca. Turned out to be a misprint and it was actually 0-0.

Let’s hope last night’s result was also a misprint 😜

Fwiw I've been involved in coaching and for me pre season is time to experiment. You try players in different positions to see if they may show you something you've not seen before.

Scores don't really matter too much to me. It's a process but I would have in mind what I'm looking to do further down the line.

Slow and steady