Pre season

18 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Warne under the cosh already. He needs to put the cones and resistance bands away, and find a pattern of play quickly that cannot be easily undone by lower league opposition. Baffling that these players cannot string a few passes together through the middle of the pitch. The strategy has to be deeper and smarter than chucking some long balls into the box hoping that eventually somebody gets a free header.

Don't be silly.

We once beat Athletic Bilbao 4-0 in a preseason friendly. They finished 4th in La Liga that season.

10 minutes ago, SSD said:

The irony of Shaun Barker moaning about the team at Chesterfield. Didn't he make his pre season debut there and from memory had an absolute stinker which made Nigel Clough say out loud to the press, what on earth have we signed here? 🤣

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's unfair to say we don't look like scoring when we probably should've been 2-0 up inside three minutes. 

I get the feeling that's been the pattern of Jackson's career, though. If he puts those two away then it's a different light on him and the performance. 

It isn’t unfair we didn’t score against a league 2 side. It was a problem last season and it will be this one

Result irrelevant as many point out - a decent pattern of play would be nice to see 

we still need a better goalkeeper 

we still need a real championship centre forward 

we need goals from midfield and I struggle to see them coming with what we have so far

personally I hope we don’t play with three centre half’s frequently from the beginning of games as for me it’s just a sign that we are afraid and surrender the ball to the opponents 

1 minute ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

It isn’t unfair we didn’t score against a league 2 side. It was a problem last season and it will be this one

Goalscoring against league 2 sides was a problem last season or goalscoring in general? We scored the joint 5th highest goals in the league, same amount as Portsmouth, they finished top and we finished second so I don’t see that it was a problem last season….? 

My thoughts mainly before this but obviously tonight adds extra to what I think. 

GK - obviously needed

Bradley- try and shift he will get mardy being on the bench, may as well try and shift wages and loan out etc. 

Barks- get rid not good enough ok at times in l1

Collins- not sure why we offered him another contract he's going to get ripped in the champ. 

Thought the Academy player in midfield looked decent in the two games would keep around the squad. 

Kenzo - good. 

Forsyth - might play more then we think reliable and still decent backup. 

Cbt- loan him out heard hes a bad egg and don't think he's got a football brain, fast but his tricks work 2/10 times. 

Yates - jury still out. 

Robinson - loan or sell 

Bardell - release 

Thompson - sell were in the championship now no room for sentiment hoping he one day gets amazing he won't. 

Ward- if he's not going to play him. I would keep alone for the set pieces more as a winger then sell

Nml- needs to play on the wing always. 

Jackson- will be fine as back up / first team. 

Elder . Ok if we can't get any better. 

Think we're 6 first teamers away from being ok. Need to get rid of some of this deadwood quick to release wages.

Despite it just been a pre season friendly and a run out my takes are - we need a keeper but hopefully that is sorted, Cash got toasted every time and looked laboured, both wing backs ineffective Elder poor and Wilson delaying passes/crosses and getting tackled, wing backs were doubled up on, Ebou and Kenzo needed swapping early on. Positives were we left early so beat the traffic 👌

29 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Warne under the cosh already. He needs to put the cones and resistance bands away, and find a pattern of play quickly that cannot be easily undone by lower league opposition. Baffling that these players cannot string a few passes together through the middle of the pitch. The strategy has to be deeper and smarter than chucking some long balls into the box hoping that eventually somebody gets a free header.

He's only under the cosh in your small mind. Get it right. 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Osborn will be starting CM woth one of the others in a 3421 - most likely Adams. At least until the 2nd half of the season when Goudmijn  settles and adjusts to the league.

I doubt that. He’s not come to sit on a bench. 

4 minutes ago, Vyrdasm said:

My thoughts mainly before this but obviously tonight adds extra to what I think. 

GK - obviously needed

Bradley- try and shift he will get mardy being on the bench, may as well try and shift wages and loan out etc. 

Barks- get rid not good enough ok at times in l1

Collins- not sure why we offered him another contract he's going to get ripped in the champ. 

Thought the Academy player in midfield looked decent in the two games would keep around the squad. 

Kenzo - good. 

Forsyth - might play more then we think reliable and still decent backup. 

Cbt- loan him out heard hes a bad egg and don't think he's got a football brain, fast but his tricks work 2/10 times. 

Yates - jury still out. 

Robinson - loan or sell 

Bardell - release 

Thompson - sell were in the championship now no room for sentiment hoping he one day gets amazing he won't. 

Ward- if he's not going to play him. I would keep alone for the set pieces more as a winger then sell

Nml- needs to play on the wing always. 

Jackson- will be fine as back up / first team. 

Elder . Ok if we can't get any better. 

Think we're 6 first teamers away from being ok. Need to get rid of some of this deadwood quick to release wages.

Ward is still recovering from knee surgery which is why he hasn't played yet.

NML does, indeed, need to play out wide.

CBT hasn't showed yet why he was so good at Charlton. I still think he'll come good.

The Academy player is Alex Stepien-Iwumene. Looks a decent prospect

Goudmijn just needs to learn that he won't get the time in the SBC that he did in NL. He'll learn quickly.

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Result irrelevant as many point out - a decent pattern of play would be nice to see 

we still need a better goalkeeper 

we still need a real championship centre forward 

we need goals from midfield and I struggle to see them coming with what we have so far

personally I hope we don’t play with three centre half’s frequently from the beginning of games as for me it’s just a sign that we are afraid and surrender the ball to the opponents 

Warne goes 5 at back as none of them are quick. He’s desperate to pick his star (and expensive) signing Bradley, but knows he will never be quick enough. The set up is too defensive with 5 though, so the likes of Bradley may need to be moved on.