Games That Aren't Talked About Enough

29 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

This was the first game that came to mind for me. I still think about it often. Imagine having to go back to Yeovil after being 2-0 up all the way up here.

Was this the game that we scored a goal after putting together about 27 passes, thought we were Barcelona for a few minutes? Or am I mixing games up?

Confession time I have a very good friend who is a Yeovil fan and have spent many happy times watching them home and away over the years. 
For this game my friend came up on the Yeovil coach and we (me and my lads) decided to go in the away ‘end’ with him. It was surreal being Sat with about 300 away fans and watching Yeovil go 2 up. To be fair it did not feel like the Yeovil fans thought they would hold on but I had real mixed emotions watching Derby come back to win. Pleased ‘we’ won but sad for my friend who could see the writing was on the wall for his team to be going down. Thankfully Yeovil are now on the up and will soon be beating F*rest again😁

7 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Beating Yeovil isn’t for everyone though is it. 

Anyone want a sweepstake for how long it will be till we get a "Games I wish I hadn't been at" thread kicking off?

Oh, I'll start. Crystal Palace away, the season of the WBA play off win. We were garbage, Gary Teale looked like someone who had been told he would be shot if he didn't play.We lost, Sunderland got the second automatic and it all felt rather poo.

As for the OP, again - as with others - apologize if I've duplicated.

- The 5-0 against Wolves under Mac. Really felt we were on to something that day

- The FA Cup win against Forest when Archie scored the winner

- The Soton play off semi in the tipping rain (I know it's been mentioned but it was just golden). I went for a job interview the next day and couldn't speak

- Huddersfield (a) Boxing Day under TBE. Just a great vibe of a team on the way up

- Three all draw against the Wendies when we were 3-1 down after 89 mins. God bless Kinky!

- QPR under Lampard when he started the bounce, play offs secured

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Considering how monumental it was, beating Forest in The FA Cup replay in 2009 isn’t spoken about anywhere near enough as it should be.

Two down inside fourteen minutes. Win 3-2.

First win at The City Ground in 37 years.

Commons scoring the winner on his first return back.

I’ll even add Savage’s scarf nonsense.

I remember it as I was spending a particularly sordid evening in a dodgy hotel just outside brum.....my first experience of "working away"......😎

35 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Derby 5 Spurs 0! My first ever match, what a start!

Manchester United away on the day of the Hillsborough disaster. My friend got us tickets via his brother who lived in Manchester, so we were in with the home fans. United fans still had a fearsome reputation in those days, so we were committed to sitting on our hands all match. But when we scored our first I noticed quite a few people sort of launched themselves out of their seats before quickly grabbing themselves back down again, and I though "We are not alone!" We didn't care when the second went in, and there were loads and loads of us!

Brighton play-off semi under Stevie Mac - probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced, which wasn't matched on Saturday, surprisingly enough. 

Port Vale away, last season, when we scored two in the last moments. I have never seen limbs like it! Brilliant!

I was at the Utd game with my two boys, at that time it was normal to just turn up on the day and pay at the turnstile.

We tried to get in the away end but it was sold out so ended up in the home family area and there were lots of Derby fans in there.

5 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

1990 a game we lost but football won.

Rams 4 - Chelsea 6

In retrospect this seemed like a turning point, before this I was hopefull of european qualification, after we were on a slide towards relegation. Or is my memory wonky?

Does anyone remember a game at the BBG in the early 80s - midweek, probably a Wednesday- not too many there, about 10,000, possibly against Shrewsbury but maybe not…however there was a big storm with wind howling around the Ley Stand.  The big metal loudspeakers which used to hang down from the top of the stand were blowing all over the place. It was mad because they were huge big chunks of metal. People underneath them were moved then one came loose from its cable, falling and destroying multiple seats-smashing them to pieces. If anyone had been sitting underneath they would have been killed instantly. Always stayed with me that one. If we hadn’t been completely crap for years and had a full house people would have died. Tommy Docherty inadvertently helped save the lives of a few people that day. 

4 hours ago, sage said:

Goddard got one of the goals at Villa

Ah thanks for that Sage. Good to be helped with the correct version mate.

Did Goddard get the first one? I was sure Deano got the winner, a header in front of the Holte End 

5 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

In retrospect this seemed like a turning point, before this I was hopefull of european qualification, after we were on a slide towards relegation. Or is my memory wonky?

Cant remember myself mate to be honest. Its just one crazy crazy game that sticks out

Don't think I've seen it mentioned but beating Bournemouth 3-2 in the admin season just after our second points deduction. Think we went straight back to 0 points but for some reason that was when it felt like we could really go for an unbelievable escape that season. Not to be of course... But a great feeling at that game.

Coming from Sheffield some of the games against the Sheffield clubs stand out for me.

5-2 win at Hillsborough against the Owls with 12 of my family and friends all sitting together with the Wednesday fans. It got embarrassing when my young sons jumped up every time we scored. 

2-1 win at Bramall Lane in 1975 ,Franny lee scored twice. I have never found a video of that game plus our 1-0 FA cup win with Rob Hindmarch scoring.

The 3-3 Cup game at the Baseball ground against Wednesday plus the 3-3 comeback game with 2 goals in injury time at Pride Park.

There are so many other games over 50 years of following the Rams.

What about the worst games ever?.......I still cannot watch the play-off final game against Leicester once Tommy Johnson scores our goal.

20 minutes ago, Sean said:

Don't think I've seen it mentioned but beating Bournemouth 3-2 in the admin season just after our second points deduction. Think we went straight back to 0 points but for some reason that was when it felt like we could really go for an unbelievable escape that season. Not to be of course... But a great feeling at that game.

Cracking game

21 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Does anyone remember a game at the BBG in the early 80s - midweek, probably a Wednesday- not too many there, about 10,000, possibly against Shrewsbury but maybe not…however there was a big storm with wind howling around the Ley Stand.  The big metal loudspeakers which used to hang down from the top of the stand were blowing all over the place. It was mad because they were huge big chunks of metal. People underneath them were moved then one came loose from its cable, falling and destroying multiple seats-smashing them to pieces. If anyone had been sitting underneath they would have been killed instantly. Always stayed with me that one. If we hadn’t been completely crap for years and had a full house people would have died. Tommy Docherty inadvertently helped save the lives of a few people that day. 

I was there and remember the speakers swinging around in the wind before finally smashing into the Ley Stand seats. At the time, it seemed like a totally normal thing. Why wouldn’t the PA system just detach itself and almost kill a few fans?! Looking back it’s unreal! 

Maybe folk should be more appreciative of TD…

30 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Ah thanks for that Sage. Good to be helped with the correct version mate.

Did Goddard get the first one? I was sure Deano got the winner, a header in front of the Holte End 

I was there. Sure it was a Deano equaliser (superb header) and PG winner. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I remember it as I was spending a particularly sordid evening in a dodgy hotel just outside brum.....my first experience of "working away"......😎

Is that how you describe it to Mrs VdMH?

Edited by BaaLocks

38 minutes ago, North East Ram said:

Away at Notts about 1988. They go 1-0 up with just a few mins left and then Hebberd scored a superb volley equaliser a couple of minutes after in front of the packed away terrace. Just a draw but felt like a win. And then the fuzz kept us in the CG for 30mins after full time. 

I was in the Brian Clough stand and thought I was going to get lynched when I jumped up to celebrate the equaliser, fortunately there were loads of other Derby fans doing the same!

1 hour ago, Sean said:

And then backing it up with a point away to a Fulham team who were smashing everybody!

Which then reminds me… beating Fulham at home on Good Friday that season to postpone relegation