Retained List

7 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Suprised to see Smityh and Hourihane leave when you consider Bird has also gone.

That leaves us with Thompson and ... and... erm anyone? I guess this might mean Adams is coming back, but even with that leaves us short. Hope we sign at least 2 central midfielders if not 3

I think/hope we can safely assume that the midfield will be strengthened during the transfer window. Probably with younger and more athletic players than Hourihane and Smith. They both served us well last season (especially Smith later in the season) but it is probably the right time to wave goodbye.

Have faith and let’s not panic just yet.

8 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Suprised to see Smityh and Hourihane leave when you consider Bird has also gone.

That leaves us with Thompson and ... and... erm anyone? I guess this might mean Adams is coming back, but even with that leaves us short. Hope we sign at least 2 central midfielders if not 3

Not really a surprise when Warne constantly made comments about opponents having young athletic players. I think we all know what kind of players we will be after. It also frees up a fair wedge in wages.

On 02/05/2024 at 23:55, sage said:

I'd release Smith, Wildsmith, Waghorn, Hourihane and Gayle.

I'd try to loan or sell Fornah and Washington. Maybe loan Rooney depending on signings.

I'd give Fozzy, Collins and Barks 1 year contracts. 2 years to Sibley and Tommo but loan out the latter.

I guess Wildsmith is the most controversial there but I think we need a better 1st choice and there are 3 or 4 decent frees available.

Did I mention I'm Paul Warne?

10 hours ago, jagerbob said:

I'm not PW's biggest fan, just for the football we have played. But, he's clearly a very switched on, intelligent bloke - and he has stated that they have been having recruitment meetings for months, with himself pushing he agenda to look at Championship quality players, despite not knowing at the time if we were going up. 

He knows what he needs. I'm also expecting us to play like the last season he was at Rotherham. High intensity pressing, with one of the 3 CBs having the free role of attacking everything in the air and getting tight to the main striker at every chance. I'm quite excited to be honest. 

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

BTW, Korey Smith has reposted every good wish from fans on there. What a gent! 

Think I'll miss him the most from those released so far.

It's interesting to see the professionalism and know-how we're giving up. I get what you say about Korey. Smith was a model pro in terms of knowing and trying to do his job, whether it was at right back or in the middle. I think he'd be an excellent acquisition for someone in League One, or at the foot of the Championship. 

Hourihane was the guy who would get in the ref's face and fight our corner and win freekicks the way other teams would do against us. And he was so brave fronting up to the fans that day, in a really toxic environment, possibly saving Warne his job. A leader, even when he struggled to make the impact we needed on the pitch. 

And I've frequently said Wildsmith's ability to take the sting out of the game served us very well. Part of the modern goalkeeper's toolkit. Whoever comes in needs to have this as well perhaps a little more subtly. 

But expertise and game management is something we will need the replacement's we're bringing in to possess. 

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

Great graphic on Instagram from @ramscentral_ 

Screenshot_20240520_103327_Instagram.jpg

BTW, Corey Smith has reposted every good wish from fans on there. What a gent! 

Think I'll miss him the most from those released so far.

Him and Adams started to forge a really good partnership towards the end.

Best of luck to you Corey and thank you for your service. 

Think Warne has made the right decision with that retained list. I think it was the right time to move on from Hourihane & Smith, and I think we can definitely improve on Wildsmith who IMO cost us a number of points with reckless decision making at times. Hopefully it opens up space to bring some athleticism into midfield.

On 18/05/2024 at 12:31, Rich3478 said:

Yeah I thought was harsh, been decent the last couple of years. Has ups and downs but generally been a good signing. Have three wingers now, nml, barks and cbt. Hopefully get another one in and see who wins the shirts 

We may have 3 wingers, but when he plays his 352 formation..we dont have wingers..just wing backs like Ward or Wilson on the right or Sibley on the left.

Not only dont NML, CBT or Barks fit that system, but neither do Nyambe or Elder..just saying..he needs to either play 343 or go to 4 at the back..much better idea imo...

17 minutes ago, valakari said:

We may have 3 wingers, but when he plays his 352 formation..we dont have wingers..just wing backs like Ward or Wilson on the right or Sibley on the left.

Not only dont NML, CBT or Barks fit that system, but neither do Nyambe or Elder..just saying..he needs to either play 343 or go to 4 at the back..much better idea imo...

I’ve always thought 4 at the back suited us better, although I did work pretty well in last few games.

nyambe could be the right sided cb with Nelson in the middle.

elder I’m not sure has much to offer us next season, struggled in league one.

nelson and cashin always looked rock solid as a two. Warne likes Bradley though.

49 minutes ago, valakari said:

I personally feel 343 fits our sqaud the best. My only concern with it is getting over run in midfield especially if don't have some real grit and energy in the middle of the park.

22 hours ago, cannable said:

I actually wouldn’t be against that, as an experiment at least.

Rooney played DM away at Mansfield and his presence was Thorne and Bielik like.

Was that where he did his ACL and spent the next 8 months in the treatment room?

Very George, that......

5 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Rotherham want Sibley, I’d cry if that happened. Cant see any chance of it though.

Hopefully not. What do you feel the stumbling block is at the moment.

His wage or the length of the contract we are offering?

5 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Rotherham want Sibley, I’d cry if that happened. Cant see any chance of it though.

He'd cry after a week of being their under lard arse.  He has an offer of a contract here and he'd be better off signing it for an undoubted larger wage for a year and actually showing he can play well at this level, than stepping back down for possibly 3 years and his career going down the crapper.  12 months over and a good season, he'll have offers again here and from other championship clubs.  

27 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go. His level is league 1 in my opinion.

Sibley has divided opinion with us Rams fans . My view for what it’s worth - Sibley will start more Championship games next season than Bird . Hope it’s with us .( give me pelters next season if I am wrong )